NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Reaser

May 19, 2021
SMW article on the 7.7M:

"seventh-largest NHL audience in the past 30 years — trailing the three previous Cup Final game sevens in 2019, 2011 (Bruins-Canucks: 8.54M) and 2009 (Penguins-Red Wings: 7.99M) and the Blackhawks’ three Game 6 clinchers in 2010 (Blackhawks-Flyers: 8.28M), 2013 (Blackhawks-Bruins: 8.16M) and 2015 (Lightning-Blackhakws: 8.01M)."

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Ouch. Down 14% from the previous SCF game 7. That 2019 game was over early as well. Also, didn't have the benefit of out of home viewing. So much for last night being "the biggest game in NHL history."

Your act is getting old man lol. You are comparing the biggest US TV market and legacy team in Boston and St. Louis an Expansion Six market that is a solid hockey market vs a Canadian market (McDavid notwithstanding) vs a team from South Florida. That is a great number that both ABC and NHL are thrilled with.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Pattaya, Thailand
Your act is getting old man lol. You are comparing the biggest US TV market and legacy team in Boston and St. Louis an Expansion Six market that is a solid hockey market vs a Canadian market (McDavid notwithstanding) vs a team from South Florida. That is a great number that both ABC and NHL are thrilled with.
Hey plenty of media and fans were calling it “the biggest game in NHL history.” Obviously, it wasn’t even close.

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoBruins97

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
SMW article on the 7.7M:

"seventh-largest NHL audience in the past 30 years — trailing the three previous Cup Final game sevens in 2019, 2011 (Bruins-Canucks: 8.54M) and 2009 (Penguins-Red Wings: 7.99M) and the Blackhawks’ three Game 6 clinchers in 2010 (Blackhawks-Flyers: 8.28M), 2013 (Blackhawks-Bruins: 8.16M) and 2015 (Lightning-Blackhakws: 8.01M)."

That's a great number for a great game and a great series. Would be fun to get a cup final next season with the Rangers or the Bruins on TNT to see what numbers they could get.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
I got it exactly right.. i said 7.69M, and it was 7.7M.

hey Jets4life, u told me i wouldn't even be close and no way the rating goes that high.. I accept ur apology my fellow canadian.

Boys, If we got 7.7M for a CDN market team vs a lousy market, imagine once again if it was NYR/CHI or BOS/CHI and one was down 3-0 and came back to tie it 3-3? 11M easily, and then we beat Celtics deciding game.. How fun would that have been seeing Stephen A Smith say the NHL deciding game beat the NBA deciding game in the US.

And this # last night could've been way higher. The 6 great markets of NHL were playing in MLB at the same time and most were close games. If u add about 200k extra viewers that we lost that were watching MLB in DET, PHI, CHI, NY, PIT and BOS, that's 1.2M lost viewers. plus add another 200k that were at those ballparks.. that's 1.4M viewers lost. So rating could've easily been 9.1M instead of 7.7M.

and the MCWS was on too.

Now imagine had this game took place SUN night instead with no games at all and everyone at home resting for work next day?? easily 9.5-10.2M

Last edited:

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Hey plenty of media and fans were calling it “the biggest game in NHL history.” Obviously, it wasn’t even close.

There were a lot of historical things at stake like Oilers possibly coming back from 0-3, it wasn’t complete hyperbole in that belief. I don’t think the rating takes that away at all. If anything it really shows how hard ESPN/ABC pushed the game as an important event and they got a good result.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Pattaya, Thailand
No one said that, stop making shit up.
2 minutes of googling I found plenty.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
2 minutes of googling I found plenty.

okay. :oops:

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
I am surprised the U S rating was down although I wonder how it looks when added to Canada’s ratings compared to the last few game 7s. Then again the NBA championship, which featured its most historic franchise Boston against a western team in a big market like Dallas, had a big slip in ratings.

Maybe having games every three days is not a good idea. While I watched virtually all of game 7, a number of the earlier ones I skipped or watched only partially out of protest of too much time off.

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019

hey Jets4life, u told me i wouldn't even be close and no way the rating goes that high.. I accept ur apology my fellow canadian.

Boys, If we got 7.7M for a CDN market team vs a lousy market, imagine once again if it was NYR/CHI or BOS/CHI and one was down 3-0 and came back to tie it 3-3? 11M easily, and then we beat Celtics deciding game.. How fun would that have been seeing Stephen A Smith say the NHL deciding game beat the NBA deciding game in the US.

And this # last night could've been way higher. The 6 great markets of NHL were playing in MLB at the same time and most were close games. If u add about 200k extra viewers that we lost that were watching MLB in DET, PHI, CHI, NY, PIT and BOS, that's 1.2M lost viewers. plus add another 200k that were at those ballparks.. that's 1.4M viewers lost. So rating could've easily been 9.1M instead of 7.7M.

and the MCWS was on too.

Now imagine had this game took place SUN night instead with no games at all and everyone at home resting for work next day?? easily 9.5-10.2M
Great prediction Nicky. You nailed it!

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Maybe having games every three days is not a good idea. While I watched virtually all of game 7, a number of the earlier ones I skipped or watched only partially out of protest of too much time off.
I agree with this, for NBA and NHL, 2 days max but the finals was 3 games for a lot of games in both leagues. 1 day break would really keep interest up, but they have reasons to draw it out for the daily sports shows as well I'm sure

Reactions: Jets4Life

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

It's never a good idea to use reddit, or a UK tabloid newspaper to "prove" to others that this was the "biggest" NHL game in 82 years, since it was not.

Numerous NHL games could be considered the "biggest game in NHL history" since there is no general consensus to this. The three examples in recent history I would use, would be:

1987 Game 7: Edmonton vs Philadelphia
1994 Game 7 Rangers vs Vancouver
2011 Game 7 Boston vs Vancouver

Honorable mentions to 2001 Colorado vs New Jersey, 2003 New jersey vs Anaheim, 2004 Calgary vs Tampa Bay, 2006 Edmonton vs Carolina, 2009 Pittsburgh vs Detroit, and 2019 Boston vs St.Louis

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

You technically said 7.59M, not that it matters much...

Jets4life, u told me i wouldn't even be close and no way the rating goes that high.. I accept ur apology my fellow canadian.

You are imagining things. Here is my post originally:

NHL TV ratings 2023/2024.

I said there was no way Game 7 would draw over 8 million viewers in the US. I was correct. Why should I apologise?

Additionally, you backtracked on your 7.59 million viewer prediction, and said later on the game would be lucky to get 7 million viewers:

NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

If anyone is to apologise, it should be you, for making multiple predictions, then gloating about one of them being within 100,000 viewers of being correct. Predictions tend not to mean as much, when one gives three different numbers as to what the rating will eventually be..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad