NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
You technically said 7.59M, not that it matters much...

You are imagining things. Here is my post originally:

NHL TV ratings 2023/2024.

I said there was no way Game 7 would draw over 8 million viewers in the US. I was correct. Why should I apologise?

Additionally, you backtracked on your 7.59 million viewer prediction, and said later on the game would be lucky to get 7 million viewers:

NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

If anyone is to apologise, it should be you, for making multiple predictions, then gloating about one of them being within 100,000 viewers of being correct. Predictions tend not to mean as much, when one gives three different numbers as to what the rating will eventually be..
My final rating right before puck drop was 7.69M. i upped it a bit cuz of the buzz i was seeing in the US. every talk show was now talking about it, even The First Take.. Just admit u were wrong and i was right.. U havent been right yet about anything.. U are officially 0 for 83 on this board. U don't have to directly apologize to me. I will accept ur apology now. And if u don't want to apologize, then just admit i am smarter than u.

The game peaked at 10.3 million from 10:45-11:00 PM on ABC. It had only 330K less viewers than the Pittsburgh/Detroit game 7 in 2009 in the US. Two strong hockey markets with many star players.
wow, that's amazing. A hockey game with over 10M americans watching at one time. Gives me chills. Thx for that info, Joe From Maine.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
My final rating right before puck drop was 7.69M.
It was 'under 7 million." at one point, and 7.59 million on another. All one has to do, is to read the last 3 pages of this thread, to come to this conclusion. I could have come come within 50,000 viewers as a guess, if I made multiple guesses.

You did guess 7.59 million at first. You just changed your guess to a final prediction of "under 7 million." I can play this game too. "My final guess is 7.66 million..:laugh:

Last edited:

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Imagine had it been NYR/CHI, or BOS/CHI in this same scenario.. I would say easily 11.9M for this gm7.

I predicted 7.69M.
Hey Jets4life, here it is.. from post #1356 in this thread. The timestamp is 746pm last night.. 30 min before puck drop. It's the last line.

So now ur perfect record of being wrong continues my fellow Canadian. U are now a perfect 0 for 84 on this board.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hey Jets4life, here it is.. from post #1356 in this thread. The timestamp is 746pm last night.. 30 min before puck drop. It's the last line.

So now ur perfect record of being wrong continues my fellow Canadian. U are now a perfect 0 for 84 on this board.

You're missing the point.

You predicted at least three different numbers. If you did guess 7.69 million viewers, I simply lost track of how many numbers you guessed fot the fiinal tally. It would be like if I was asked a trivia question such as "What year did the Edmonton Oilers win their first Stanley Cup?"

I could reply 1982....no 1984, wait it was 1985!

Then when the correct answer is revealed to be 1984, I get up and shout "I WAS RIIIGHT!" :laugh:

Having said that, an average of nearly 15.3 million viewers tuning into the game in North America, is amazing, and probably better than what was expected by most.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I am surprised the U S rating was down although I wonder how it looks when added to Canada’s ratings compared to the last few game 7s. Then again the NBA championship, which featured its most historic franchise Boston against a western team in a big market like Dallas, had a big slip in ratings.

Maybe having games every three days is not a good idea. While I watched virtually all of game 7, a number of the earlier ones I skipped or watched only partially out of protest of too much time off.
Cable cutting and pirated streams probably have something to do with the drop in ratings. Just my guess...

Reaser

May 19, 2021
-U.S. 1.0M+ Final Numbers-

62 U.S. national broadcasts had an average viewership of over 1.0M this season.

Up from 59 such games last season.

-Stanley Cup Playoffs-
2023/24: 55 of 88 games
2022/23: 50 of 88 games

-Regular Season-
2023/24: 7 of 113 games
2022/23: 9 of 112 games

-By network (2023/24 season)-
ESPN: 25 games (1 Regular Season / 24 SC Playoff)
TNT: 16 games (1 Regular Season / 15 SC Playoff)
ABC: 15 games (5 Regular Season / 10 SC Playoff)
TBS: 6 games (6 Stanley Cup Playoff)

Obvious goal for the 2024/25 season would be to bump the amount of 1.0M+ regular season games up to double digits. At a minimum 10 games. Preferably more.

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
I got it exactly right.. i said 7.69M, and it was 7.7M.

hey Jets4life, u told me i wouldn't even be close and no way the rating goes that high.. I accept ur apology my fellow canadian.

Boys, If we got 7.7M for a CDN market team vs a lousy market, imagine once again if it was NYR/CHI or BOS/CHI and one was down 3-0 and came back to tie it 3-3? 11M easily, and then we beat Celtics deciding game.. How fun would that have been seeing Stephen A Smith say the NHL deciding game beat the NBA deciding game in the US.

And this # last night could've been way higher. The 6 great markets of NHL were playing in MLB at the same time and most were close games. If u add about 200k extra viewers that we lost that were watching MLB in DET, PHI, CHI, NY, PIT and BOS, that's 1.2M lost viewers. plus add another 200k that were at those ballparks.. that's 1.4M viewers lost. So rating could've easily been 9.1M instead of 7.7M.

and the MCWS was on too.

Now imagine had this game took place SUN night instead with no games at all and everyone at home resting for work next day?? easily 9.5-10.2M

Nicky, Chicago and Boston would Not need a series down 3-0 to get 11million. They would easily get 11milliom. Look at game 6 they all go up minimum 30 percent on average. Chicago and Boston would end up between 11-12 million or NYR and I do believe if you had a Detroit/Chicago game 7 that would be off the charts!!!!

Reactions: Jets4Life

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
This is great news for the health of hockey as a major league sport in the U.S.!

NHL and ABC are for sure happy. If this was 2004. This could’ve been a disaster. So the game has grown and show some resilience without your original six teams, Philly….

NHL can use this in negotiating big time!

Game 6 to game 7 did like a 80 percent jump! Insane!!! Coming off a Friday!.
My final rating right before puck drop was 7.69M. i upped it a bit cuz of the buzz i was seeing in the US. every talk show was now talking about it, even The First Take.. Just admit u were wrong and i was right.. U havent been right yet about anything.. U are officially 0 for 83 on this board. U don't have to directly apologize to me. I will accept ur apology now. And if u don't want to apologize, then just admit i am smarter than u.

wow, that's amazing. A hockey game with over 10M americans watching at one time. Gives me chills. Thx for that info, Joe From

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
NHL and ABC are for sure happy. If this was 2004. This could’ve been a disaster. So the game has grown and show some resilience without your original six teams, Philly….

NHL can use this in negotiating big time!

Game 6 to game 7 did like a 80 percent jump! Insane!!! Coming off a Friday!.
Well espn hype did help.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is essentially the worst matchup in the league for US ratings, and game 7 still got 7.66 million viewers.
Let's be honest, we had a lot of good storyline elements heading into this Game 7. Oilers potentially setting history, McDavid doing stuff we haven't seen since a prime LeBron James, and the Panthers almost conducting one of the top 3 chokes ever in all of sports. There was a lot of hype around it and ESPN's hype machine came to play as well. Nonetheless, I do think this was a bit of a fluke, if it was Game 7 but not a potential reverse sweep, we would have gotten a great viewership rating for sure, but not as good as we've seen here. That's my two cents.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I am surprised the U S rating was down although I wonder how it looks when added to Canada’s ratings compared to the last few game 7s. Then again the NBA championship, which featured its most historic franchise Boston against a western team in a big market like Dallas, had a big slip in ratings.

Maybe having games every three days is not a good idea. While I watched virtually all of game 7, a number of the earlier ones I skipped or watched only partially out of protest of too much time off.

Those US # are fine.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
This is essentially the worst matchup in the league for US ratings, and game 7 still got 7.66 million viewers.

I still think that Ottawa vs Anaheim was the worst match-up of all-time in terms of ratings. Nobody cares about the Ducks outside of Orange Country, and they play second fiddle in a Kings dominated market, which is not big on hockey in the first place. Ottawa (and Winnipeg) are the worst Canadian markets for US and Canadian viewers.
Lets hope they release the top 5/10 markets.

Would love to see west palm and Miami's rating

West Palm beach always does far better than Miami.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
You're missing the point.

You predicted at least three different numbers. If you did guess 7.69 million viewers, I simply lost track of how many numbers you guessed fot the fiinal tally. It would be like if I was asked a trivia question such as "What year did the Edmonton Oilers win their first Stanley Cup?"

I could reply 1982....no 1984, wait it was 1985!

Then when the correct answer is revealed to be 1984, I get up and shout "I WAS RIIIGHT!" :laugh:

Having said that, an average of nearly 15.3 million viewers tuning into the game in North America, is amazing, and probably better than what was expected by most.

Nicky, Chicago and Boston would Not need a series down 3-0 to get 11million. They would easily get 11milliom. Look at game 6 they all go up minimum 30 percent on average. Chicago and Boston would end up between 11-12 million or NYR and I do believe if you had a Detroit/Chicago game 7 that would be off the charts!!!!
wow, so we don't even need 3-0 to start? Amazing. i remember hearing many times ppl tell me no way in this lifetime NHL ever beats NBA. well, if we did get that final, looks like we might. Especially now that Connor Bedard plays for CHI. But if he became as good as Mcdavid and puts up 140 pts a yr like McDavid and becomes the face of the NHL, it'd be even better..

But i am fully aware that if NYK played LAL, a chi/bos gm7 would easily lose to NYK/LA with lebron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad