Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
We aren’t getting Guentzel lol
You could be right. My guess is the agent is leaking info to drive up Carolina’s offer. I would be interested to see what the offer is at. I would love to add Guentzel. Scoring is needed. 2nd year in a row it dried up in the playoffs.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I get shitting on the idea if it were just some poster on HF that came up with it but it is from a legit source. Enjoy the speculation while you can. This may be @Dallasman next big tease!
I know, but as @Kcb12345 mentioned, this was more speculation than a rumor from Freidman. He was speculating Kane to Dallas a lot too and that never happened. We’ll see! Just trying not to get my hopes up.

Reactions: Kipper 17

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Marchment would have to be out in this scenario just to give Guentzel a place to play.

Robertson
Guentzel
Benn

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Who would you trade Robo for? Can’t think of a d man equivalent to him.

I would trade him for Dobson. Doubt he’s available though

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
What scares me about this is I really think it’s a contingency plan for Robertson’s next deal, and they’ll be pushing to move him for D if they get Guentzel. Obviously all hypothetical but we can’t keep everyone/add the highest dollar value on the market this summer.
We'd be selling Robertson at a low point. Not sure I love that idea. Rather see another season without Pavs as his linemate to get a true idea of if he's an 80 point player or a 100+ point player.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, it wouldn't be a first. Back in the day, one of the others in my section must of been complaining about something to management, because Jim Lites showed up to talk. In essence, he said Neal was moving on because they had been talking and knew he was stubborn in wanting more money. They felt they had to choose between Neal and Benn as their next scoring forward, and partly for attitude, they went with Benn. I don't recall his contract history, but he eventually got paid. Hard to say it was the wrong decision.

It is very possible that JRob is exhibiting similar vibes and management is making sure they have a plan B. Also, since it was told to us, I doubt it was a secret around the NHL, and I think that lowered his trade value. And, Joe was a neophyte GM, and got fleeced, at least IMHO.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
thats not fun though lets go full offense and have the worst defensive depth in nhl

No point talking about Robo. I would bet everything that he is untouchable.
Worked quite well for Edmonton.

Nobody should ever be untouchable, Robertson included, we're the same team that put talking to our best player (at the time) on hold to talk to Tavares. So who knows what our FO is thinking

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
The idea of selling Robo instead of giving him a mega 8 year deal a year from now isn't absurd. It may well be that's actually a good idea. My opposition is to do it this summer. I think you need a 3rd year to see if he's a point per game player or a 1.3 pt/gm player. What the team is willing to commit moneywise should vary greatly between those two spectrums.

The truth is if he's a 120 point player you pay him because we won't get anyone better or even close to that. If he's an 80 point player then moving him for a cornerstone defender to pair with either Harley or Miro could make a ton of sense. I don't think you can accurately make that call this summer without another full season of results. The nice part is tons of money starts to fall of the books and giving him a mega deal would be possible.

Reactions: redbeardtx and LT

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Depends on what he wants in an 8 year deal. I'm opposed to paying him 10m+ if he's an 80 point player. Trade him for a top pair defender. If he's a 120ish point player then paying him 11m+ makes more sense. He's not going to agree to 8m regardless but when you go 5 figures he has to be worth that and the jury is still out.

Reactions: LT and roryjones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad