Confirmed with Link: Linus Ullmark Traded to Senators

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They beat everybody that showed up. That's the objective.

True.

Though not really relevant to conversation.

They got by them largely because Nathan Horton was a hero in those playoffs. I.e., because they had good players that rose to the occasion, which was my point. They aren't going to put an asterisk on the Cup that Florida just won because they "barely" got by Edmonton.

Again, not really relevant to the discussion.

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
Those years were fantastic no doubt. But at the same time it should’ve been so much more. The apex was reached in those two seasons where we drafted Seguin, won the cup, and followed that up by drafting Hamilton. Team was just reaching its prime to. At that moment I thought we were good for a long time. But didn’t really go that way. It was a successful decade, but it should’ve been so much more.
Absolutely agree 100%. 2012 and 2014 should have been BOS vs LA in the Finals.

Vezina Ullmark had a terrible playoffs, so bad that most thought he was injured. In fact, his playoff stats (W/L, save%, gaa) are worse than even Korpi’s. GMs take note of stuff like that. That’s why they weren’t breaking down Sweeney’s door to offer multiple pick for a chance to sign him long term to $7+ million. Sweeney got the most out of this situation me thinks.
You can bet the Ottawa media will be pumping up that Vezina winning season.
You should have heard them pump Korpisalo's tires when the Sens signed him last year!

Reactions: Shoebottom88

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
People are trying way too hard to justify his acquisition. With the 2 mil of cap space wasted away on this watch it burn Sweeney in FA. He should be able to get a center and winger to replace JDB, but I doubt he will have enough cap space for another solid defenseman, he will get another Shattenkirk type instead of someone like Dillon.
You can be disappointed in the trade but still view the players acquired with an open mind.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
IMO, The Ference finger in MTL started the 2011 run.
F5FEA078-307A-401C-B1FC-A13D84289FF4.gif

You can be disappointed in the trade but still view the players acquired with an open mind.
But then who will we whip all summer?

Poor korpisalo still doesn’t even have a thread. :laugh: Disrespect.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

This is pretty much where I’m at with the trade. I hope all the players are successful here and the pick works out well.

However at the same time I’m extremely disappointed we didn’t trade Ullmark for a piece that will really have any impact on the playoff roster.

The closest thing we got was a 4th liner who had been a healthy scratch a dozen or so times on a bottom feeder team and a backup goalie who won’t see the ice unless there’s an injury to swayman.

Just think they should be in win now mode and this feels like a trade a rebuilding team makes.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Has Sweeney commented on the goalie and contract acquired?

Kastelic and a 1st is not far off from the NJ price paid. That part we can be comfortable with.

Reactions: TCB

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I guess i need to have faith that Essensa will work with Korpisalo and make that contract worth it. I'm not super optimistic that will happen.

Kastelic is a decent piece for the 4th line. If they can roll a rotation of Kastelic, Beecher, Brazeau and Lauko (or some other young guy with speed) where they each end up playing 60-65 games to stay fresh that would be excellent. I think the role of a 4th line is to bring energy and help wear the other team down, and being able to rest a guy every 3-4 games would help. Hopefully the 4th guy in the rotation can also work on the PK.

The pick is nice to have, but the likelyhood of it turning into anything other than a JAG are pretty slim. But it's better than no pick -> no chance.

Reactions: CDJ

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Good morning from the most alarming-looking teddybear north of the border and happy debate day!

View attachment 887934
I do NOT want to sound judgy. That said, this pic just SCREAMS 388 PIMS to me.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That said, I’m a guy who’s only issue with 388 PIMS is “couldn’t you have squeezed out 2 more fighting majors and an unsportsmanlike to hit the big 400”?

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I do NOT want to sound judgy. That said, this pic just SCREAMS 388 PIMS to me.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That said, I’m a guy who’s only issue with 388 PIMS is “couldn’t you have squeezed out 2 more fighting majors and an unsportsmanlike to hit the big 400”?
It was 398 - I was a minor short - and it’s been 32 years and they still chirp me about it, the guys I played with

• Haha
Reactions: Number8

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Dealing away Seguin and Hamilton contributed to that certainly and was probably the sign that Chiarelli was getting overly confident in his ability to mastermind together a winning team, and was taking the roster largess for granted a bit. No guarantees but there could have been a much stronger throughline from 2010 to 2020, as you're saying.
After he won cup I watched him call himself a genius. I knew right then it had gotten to his head.

Then he started doing dumb shit like trading Boychuk and trading 2 seconds for Connolly.

Still though he did bring home a cup.

Reactions: Gordoff

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
After he won cup I watched him call himself a genius. I knew right then it had gotten to his head.

Then he started doing dumb shit like trading Boychuk and trading 2 seconds for Connolly.

Still though he did bring home a cup.
How long did you wait for that Cup?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
You say only 2 million in cap space, but you don’t factor in the fact that he still would’ve had to get a vet backup, so another 1.5 or 2 million. So he possibly got 4 million cap room out of 5. Anyways, even $2 million in extra cap space is not nothing.

Also, do we really know he was injured? Monty said he asked Ullmark if he was good to go and Linus said yes. So either he let his ego take precedence over team, or didn’t realize how badly he was injured, or just making an excuse. That really rubbed me the wrong way. If you’re not 100%, let Sway play. Monty, Essensa, & Ullmark really dropped the ball in that series.

Yes, have to factor in a backup of some kind. On the other hand you also have to account for the extra baggage attaching to Korpisalo's contract should things not work out.

As for 2023, purely by the eye test I'm 99% sure Ullmark was injured. There are also a couple of good candidates in the last few games leading into the playoffs for moments when the injury, whatever it was exactly, was likely to have happened. Regardless, as you say, one way or another the whole thing was badly handled. Where exactly the blame falls for that we on the outside can only guess at.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Sounds like Goalie Bob is already familiar with Korpisalo and worked with him after he was traded to the Kings

“Joonas has been a high-level goaltender,” Sweeney told reporters, per team-provided video. “(Goaltending coach) Bob (Essensa) did a lot of work with Joonas when he played his best hockey in LA and being able to translate that into our hockey club.”

Korpisalo looked solid on LA with a 2.13 GAA / .921 SV% in his brief time there. If Goalie Bob gets him back to that form then our goaltending will be on good shape still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad