Speculation: Flames complete fire sale coming?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Calgary is late to the party……… and when they finally get there….. nobody cares or notices!!!

Wall-flower that nobody asks to dance!

They missed their chance to re-build!

I thought the Tkatchuk trade was brilliant……. Until they signed Weager and Huberdeau!

They had Floridas first- they should have retained on Huberdeau last summer and got 2 firsts after his 110 point season @ 3 million!

They then would not have wasted a first rounder on cap space to Montreal / Monaghan!,,,
They should have traded Weager and all of their expiring contracts this year and next in the Bedard sweepstakes!
Carolina will absolutely be interested in Lindholm or Toffoli or Backlund.

1st+Fast (to make the cap work this year, pending UFA so Calgary doesn't have to retain next year)+forward prospect gets what is the question?

Carolina could either add Coghlan to the package or just send him down to the minors. Adding Fast to a package and either dealing or sending down Coghlan would give Carolina $5.39M in space for one last move.

Does Carolina put Morrow in an offer for Lindholm? I think they would have to.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
The team is all but officially out of the playoffs now, and has proven they aren't winning with this core.

Are value contract players like Lindholm, Toffoli or Backlund gone tomorrow? I can't imagine our management group can keep their head buried in the sand any longer and think everything is fine.

Could we see Huberdeau gone? He needs a change, he doesn't care at all.
You guys were just buyers the other day. Zero chance managment sells now. And with the Huberdeau contract, good luck. Welcome to the abyss of mediocrity for a very long time, and or until managment is replaced. Even then no guarantee they will go the way of the Tank.

Check back in a decade or two.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Pretty impressive they went from being the favourites in the west to blowing it up in only 5 months.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Teams would give a haul for Backlund. Guy ages like fine wine, he’s probably been the Flames best player this year.

He can be a Phil Danault like impact center for somebody. I’ll take this kind of impact on the Avs for the next two playoff runs please…

7768415-F-19-CA-4-A70-AB3-C-86-B68046-F908.jpg

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think they'll sell some pieces but not everything.

I would take Toffoli in a heartbeat if it could work cap wise and asset wise

Knies - ROR - Toffoli could be a great 3rd line and put Jarnkrok back with Tavares and Nylander on the 2nd

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
GM of the year (declared by many of you) slipping from Treliving's fingers...

Is it possible to hit a homerun today (great returns on Tanev, Lindholm, etc.) and retain his GM of the year status?

Partly joking, but half serious.

;)

The owner always had his hand up the GM ass, since Murray Edwards has been the owner, no GM has had the freedom to do what he wants.

Reactions: thaman8765678

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
The team is all but officially out of the playoffs now, and has proven they aren't winning with this core.

Are value contract players like Lindholm, Toffoli or Backlund gone tomorrow? I can't imagine our management group can keep their head buried in the sand any longer and think everything is fine.

Could we see Huberdeau gone? He needs a change, he doesn't care at all.
I need an 8 year rental at $10.5M and he must have less than 50 points.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'd run it back next year and hope that Markstrom pulls himself together. They utterly worked Boston the other night, they can't be that bad.
They were at the same fork in the road last summer and tried running it back. Now they're here again. If they're having regret, why would you expect them to continue kicking the can down the road?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
At least two rookies (Pelletier and Duheur) were able to make it onto the roster. Ya it didn't happen until game 45 but better late than never. If you're a rookie and able to find a way onto the roster with Sutter as the head coach, you hit the jackpot. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think it's pretty clear they're thinking about a 2 year window. This year and next. They gave all their new guys too much money and term to go the opposite direction so quickly. They'll live with this season should they not make it, try and figure something out over the summer, give it another go in 23-24, then have a lot of UFAs they could unload at the 24 deadline if they're out again.

Then try and re-tool after that, because those big contracts probably aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I see them running it back next year but not sure what changes. Puck luck has been horrible but they're isn't a contender even if that was better. Could be a fringe playoff team next year and get roasted first round.

I'd eat my shorts if the ownership agreed to a rebuild.

Reactions: viper0220

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I see them running it back next year but not sure what changes. Puck luck has been horrible but they're isn't a contender even if that was better. Could be a fringe playoff team next year and get roasted first round.

I'd eat my shorts if the ownership agreed to a rebuild.
With average goaltending and not leading the league on post shots, the team is elite 5v5. Even with average overtime play there are at the top of the division.

The team has some kind of mental block that just results in them playing to the level of their opponent, as opposed to taking over the game. They've lost some crazy amount of one goal games and rarely ever gets blown out, even against top opponents.

They'll definitely run it back next year. They don't really have an expiring contacts this year, and other teams are still treating just about any contract with term like the plague. Having guys like Backlund with an extra year, even if on good value, just horribly reduces the number of buyers interested.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
They're 5 points out ? How are they all but officially out ?
More risky to be partly in than all the way out I suppose. You have a point, but won't it be disastrous if they miss the playoffs and have all those expiring contracts?

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
This. Hell will freeze over before the Flames rebuild. I can see them making some hockey trades and maybe a coaching change, but they'll never tear it down.
No one thought the Leafs or Habs would tear it down and rebuild. Yet they did/are

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
They're 5 points out ? How are they all but officially out ?
5 point and winnipeg has a game in hand. Also the rebuilding predators are 1 point back with 3 games in hand. We cant score when it matters and our goaltending has been attrocious this year, its not looking good at all lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad