Speculation: Flames complete fire sale coming?

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Pretty sure Sutter's just lost the room. That roster is incredibly talented and while they have some older players, a lot of important pieces are 29 or younger. I think it's probably 2 more years before they call it.
Looks like Sutter squeezed all he could out of them last year and they rode career highs from multiple players to a fantastic year

Everyone is regressing to the mean or worse this year and the goaltending has crapped out on them. Chemistry looks off but a lot of the guys looked bad in Sutters first year too.

Keep Sutter unless they want to rebuild. That Franchise has been changing coaches consistently for abit

Reactions: thaman8765678

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Lucic's contract expires this year, not sure why moving him would matter unless they are clearing cap space to make a trade in their push for the playoffs.

i mean they'll try to move him tomorrow before the deadline. they're definitely not resigning him

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
The 1st pick pick they traded to Montreal really f***ed them.
How so? They could easily get that for Toffoli if they wanted to trade him. In fact, they'd probably get a better return than Montreal got for him.

Unless you mean the Monahan one, which we don't even have a clue what pick that will be lol

Reactions: CF84 and viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
No way they try to rebuild after just having signed Kadri, Hubs, Weegar to long contracts. Way too much salary locked in to not try and get a decent return on their investment
Would it not make sense to think long term in investment.

Reactions: Boomstick

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
i mean they'll try to move him tomorrow before the deadline. they're definitely not resigning him
What are they giving up, and getting back in return? What are they even adding at the deadline that they need the cap space for? Are they all in and ready to make some big trades to squeak into the playoffs?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The team is all but officially out of the playoffs now, and has proven they aren't winning with this core.

Are value contract players like Lindholm, Toffoli or Backlund gone tomorrow? I can't imagine our management group can keep their head buried in the sand any longer and think everything is fine.

Could we see Huberdeau gone? He needs a change, he doesn't care at all.

I don't think the Flames make any moves.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
What are they giving up, and getting back in return? What are they even adding at the deadline that they need the cap space for? Are they all in and ready to make some big trades to squeak into the playoffs?

why would they give anything up? and why would they be adding? i mean lucic is a free agent they aren't resigning. they'll try to get anything they can from anyone who might think lucic still has some gas in the tank. no one will offer anything

what is so hard to understand about this?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't think we'll see a fire sale yet, they're not far out of the wildcard race due to all the loser points. More likely they try to give Lucic and Lewis a shot at leaving this year and give Sutter the first half of next season to figure it out.

If Sutter flounders, they'll fire him mid-season and try to move older guys on expiring contracts like Backlund, Lindholm, Toffoli, Tanev, and Zadorov. They'll try and re-sign Hanifin and Kylington and use the cap space and picks to re-tool under a new coach and possibly a new GM in the 2025 offseason. They'll have almost 50M to work with (minus whatever it takes for Hanifin and Kylington). Alongside Weegar and Andersson that should be most of a defense corps. They'll still have most of a top-9 with Huberdeau, Kadri, Mangiapane, and Coleman + whatever young guys come along. They're definitely not a hopeless case. Not a lot of albatrosses except maybe Markstrom, but he might bounce back, who knows.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
why would they give anything up? and why would they be adding? i mean lucic is a free agent they aren't resigning. they'll try to get anything they can from anyone who might think lucic still has some gas in the tank. no one will offer anything

what is so hard to understand about this?
So you're hanging your hat on Sutter trading Lucic for a 7th round pick with 50% retention, which would restore your faith in the franchise?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The team is all but officially out of the playoffs now, and has proven they aren't winning with this core.

Are value contract players like Lindholm, Toffoli or Backlund gone tomorrow? I can't imagine our management group can keep their head buried in the sand any longer and think everything is fine.

It does feel like the Flames are done, but You know what blew my mind… the Flames are only 11 points out of being first place in their division. They go on a say.. a six game winning streak or win 8 in 10, and they’re back in quite easily. Maybe even a raked seed

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Eric Francis said the other day that the Flames are buyers tomorrow.

Delusional buyers that is. They’re desperate for a cup run and i fear that Flames ownership have been harping down Trelivings throat to buy at the deadline.

• Haha
Reactions: thaman8765678

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
If you're going to have a fire sale, best to hold it while most of the customers still have lots of unspent money. I would wait till the draft instead of doing last minute deals now, unless the offers are crazy good. You're too close to the wild card to be having a fire sale now and there's still a lot of hockey to be played.

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
So you're hanging your hat on Sutter trading Lucic for a 7th round pick with 50% retention, which would restore your faith in the franchise?

who said anything about restoring my faith in the franchise? i'm just trying to predict what they do tomorrow

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Flames Should definitely sell though, I mean the writing is on the wall. They have a lot of really good players with expiring contracts as of 2024 summer. And players that contenders would pay a good price to acquire.

Blake Coleman, Mikael Backlund, Chris Tanev, hell even Nikita Zadorov with the season he’s having would go in a heartbeat. Teams would be lining up for their services.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A bit too late for a fire sale. Most buyers have used up their trade chips and cap space already

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
IMO they should have started selling already but one thing I respect about Calgary is they ALWAYS try to compete. Whether it's making a big splash for Dougie Hamilton or trading for Huberdeau, they're always in the mix for talent.

Sometimes even to their detriment

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
As a Kraken fan, I can guarantee you that the Flames are not out of the playoff race. I think the final WC spot in the west is between the Flames and Kraken right now. The Flames have been playing much better off late compared to the Kraken as well.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

Don't be outrageous, you guys are trading for Parayko tomorrow.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad