Speculation: Flames complete fire sale coming?

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
As a Kraken fan, I can guarantee you that the Flames are not out of the playoff race. I think the final WC spot in the west is between the Flames and Kraken right now. The Flames have been playing much better off late compared to the Kraken as well.
We are 6 points out from WC2 (lose tie breaker) and 8 from pacific 3 and we've played more games.

Are you sure?

Reactions: Boomstick

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Preds have a better win % amd have realized it was time to sell.
But as long as Sutter is the coach , Flames will not rebuild ever. Sutter didn’t take the HC job to babysit kids during a rebuild.
I think the Flames SHOULD rebuild but they won’t.
I would sell whatever you realistically can. Huberdeau Kadri Weegar are likely not moveable
Thats not to say they are not good players, it’s just that no one has that cap space that would be willing to shed from their roster to make room for them.
So sell whatever else you can and retool. Find a finisher that works with Huberdeau.
Gain assets and cap room to acquire younger talent. Already established players but still on ELC .
Do similar to what the Blues tried to do. Move older players like ROR , Barbashev and use the assets you get back to go after younger replacements. They should have been mkre agressive and offers a little more on Meier amd Chychrun. They could have done it amd it would habe been a very quick retool IMO.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They seem to have management in the Philly/Vancouver mold that will perpetually try to re-tool and make the playoffs.

Good luck :thumbu:

This. Hell will freeze over before the Flames rebuild. I can see them making some hockey trades and maybe a coaching change, but they'll never tear it down.

Reactions: 23Monahan

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Sadly, just like my sh*tbag Canucks, horrible ownership will never let this team rebuild. They’ll move expiring contracts at least but like others have said, start with the dinosaur coach. This team is actually decently built from the back out.

Reactions: thaman8765678

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think so. With how many trades have already been made are there even enough buyers and assets left for a Flames firesale even if they wanted it ? Which i doubt by the way. Flames are going to ride the season out and if they do miss the playoffs make major changes in the offseason. ( again )

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
This year is a write off I think they stay put and make decisions depending on how they start the year next year.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Flames should be a good team. I bet 95% of HFboards thought them to be a surefire playoff-team. Things to do list:

1. Fire Sutter
2. Fire Sutter
3. Fire Sutter

Calgary and Florida actually sit in the same boat, even though Calgary has a supreme D. Both have coaches that doesnt fit the teams. PoMO and Sutter should be fired into the sky. They are done.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Calgary is late to the party……… and when they finally get there….. nobody cares or notices!!!

Wall-flower that nobody asks to dance!

They missed their chance to re-build!

I thought the Tkatchuk trade was brilliant……. Until they signed Weager and Huberdeau!

They had Floridas first- they should have retained on Huberdeau last summer and got 2 firsts after his 110 point season @ 3 million!

They then would not have wasted a first rounder on cap space to Montreal / Monaghan!,,,
They should have traded Weager and all of their expiring contracts this year and next in the Bedard sweepstakes!

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You don’t make big long term contract signings like they did last year and give up after one bad season.

They just created themselves a 2 year window and the 1st one is going about as bad as it could

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This is for all of those people in this thread saying the Flames should not give up on the playoffs, and should not sell. They have 3 wins in their last 12 games and have lost 4 in a row.
This tweet may also sway your opinion as well.

If Flames truely wanted to sell they would've started earlier than today. Maybe they sell off some depth pieces i guess but anything bigger i doubt it . Would've heard at least some rumblings by now that something is in the works

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Are the Flames in worse long term shape than the Canucks??? Might be close.

Longterm wise Calgary is in about the worst shape.

Hubs, Markstrom, Weegar, Kadri, none of them are young& Lindholm needs a new contract in the near future.

Atleast Vancouver has Pettersson& Hughes+ a much better 2023 1st

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
They seem to have management in the Philly/Vancouver mold that will perpetually try to re-tool and make the playoffs.

Good luck :thumbu:
Obviously, the Flames have long term contracts with Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar but even if they want to re-tool they need to clear cap space and accrue some assets. Have almost no cap space for next season. Makes sense to move guys like Toffoli. If they move Chris Tanev, Sutter might retire, which saves an awkward conversation

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Honestly no,

Lucic, Lewis and Ritchie are there only UFA’s. If they needed a reason why their season has sucked it’s because they have too many of these types of guys on their roster. Not enough talent.

That organization is going to be too proud to trade off pieces like Lindholm, Backlund etc. They will stand pat and ram this square peg into a round hole again next year.

A lot of stubbornness in the Calgary and Vancouver management/ownership.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The team is all but officially out of the playoffs now, and has proven they aren't winning with this core.

Are value contract players like Lindholm, Toffoli or Backlund gone tomorrow? I can't imagine our management group can keep their head buried in the sand any longer and think everything is fine.

Could we see Huberdeau gone? He needs a change, he doesn't care at all.
Probably not today as all the other teams loaded up at the better garage sale down the block already.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Theyre cap situation for next season is pretty bad. I could see them beginning to figure that mess out. Capfriendly has them at 82,188,333 and 18 players under contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad