Fire Shanahan/Dubas (Yay or Nay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fire Shanahan/Dubas?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
The Leafs appear to have an eye for talent and seem to be drafting well, is that because of Dubas or the Scouting Department?

I'd like to see Dubas gone, but I like how the prospect pipline is shaping up

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Dubas can’t trade, can’t draft and can’t negotiate contracts...damn at least he’s good at excel lol
Interesting to see his prospect pool is actually middle of the pack. I’ve been hearing about what a great job he’s done drafting but multiple independent sources don’t seem to agree. Pool rated anywhere from 15-22 from the credible outlets I read and all include Hunter pick Timothy Liljegren in their top 3.

Reactions: Legendary

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The Leafs appear to have an eye for talent and seem to be drafting well, is that because of Dubas or the Scouting Department?

Who's in the pipeline?

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016

You can’t be serious lol

Reactions: killer1980

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Interesting to see his prospect pool is actually middle of the pack. I’ve been hearing about what a great job he’s done drafting but multiple independent sources don’t seem to agree. Pool rated anywhere from 15-22 from the credible outlets I read and all include Hunter pick Timothy Liljegren in their top 3.
The highest Dubas has ever drafted is Sandin (29th OA?) What you have to remember is the teams with the top prospect pools all have high draft picks. Of the teams with the most amount of prospects at the world jrs the Leafs were the only one that made the playoffs

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The highest Dubas has ever drafted is Sandin (29th OA?) What you have to remember is the teams with the top prospect pools all have high draft picks. Of the teams with the most amount of prospects at the world jrs the Leafs were the only one that made the playoffs

Wasn't Rodion Amirov a pretty high pick?

Remember when the Leafs had 4 of Canada's defensemen at a single WJC?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Sandin and Robertson look like solid picks, TBD for the rest. Dubas probably would've been better off cutting his teeth in scouting and working his way up the ranks. He rose too fast, wasn't ready for the job and it'll cost him long-term. There isn't a failed GM carousel like there is with coaches. You blow it and you're done. Well, you'll always have a job with the Blue & White even if you blow it, but any self-respecting organization won't give you another chance.

Reactions: centipede2233

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
True, Amirov was like 14-15 but I guess I’ve seen enough to not put much stock into the world juniors. Remember Jerry D’Amigo, or the deadly team Canada duo of Ian White and Carlo Coliacovo (with Kyle Wellwood up front) who looked like sure things? Justin Pogge? Keith Aulie?

Let me see it in the NHL.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
True, but I guess I’ve seen enough to not put much stock into the world juniors. Remember Jerry D’Amigo, or the deadly team Canada duo of Ian White and Carlo Coliacovo (with Kyle Wellwood up front) who looked like sure things? Justin Pogge? Keith Aulie?

Let me see it in the NHL.

Jay Harrison and Brendan Bell were on that team with Colaiacovo and White, weren’t they?

Reactions: sparxx87

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Sandin and Robertson look like solid picks, TBD for the rest. Dubas probably would've been better off cutting his teeth in scouting and working his way up the ranks. He rose too fast, wasn't ready for the job and it'll cost him long-term. There isn't a failed GM carousel like there is with coaches. You blow it and you're done. Well, you'll always have a job with the Blue & White even if you blow it, but any self-respecting organization won't give you another chance.
Totally agree, once you royally screw up as a gm, your toast. Especially if it’s your first gm job.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The pipeline always looks better than it turns out.

That's a fair point.

And part of why I think recent drafts tend to get a bit of an extra shine is because the Leafs drafted so terribly over the first few years of the rebuild, from 2014-2017 the only non top 10 draft picks turned NHLers have been Engvall and Dermot - depending on what happens with Lily the 2017 class may not even yield a single full time NHLer for the Leafs. So when a 2nd round pick like Robertson or a late 1st selection like Sandin seem like theyre knocking on the door of a roster spot, it tends to stick out more.

Fundamentally well need at least one or two more years to see how the Dubas' picks turn out

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Besides Keefe, let’s not forget Dubas’ other coaching hire that has also absolutely stunk: Greg Moore.

lets not forget the awesome hire of malhotra to run teh PP by dubas

Dubas is throwing shit at the wall hoping it sticks. guy is clueless. Quite frankly I am starting to think MLSE folks are f***ing clueless too. Rogers/Bell gotta cut their losses ASAP

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
On one hand, it is really not Dubas fault his top two players just didn't show up in the playoffs. On another hand, part of the reason why Dubas needed to rely on his top players is b/c he was the one who gave out not ONE but THREE 10mil plus contracts. It is his own doing.

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
lets not forget the awesome hire of malhotra to run teh PP by dubas

Dubas is throwing shit at the wall hoping it sticks. guy is clueless. Quite frankly I am starting to think MLSE folks are f***ing clueless too. Rogers/Bell gotta cut their losses ASAP

A lot of people don’t quite realize how bad a situation we’re in right now.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
A lot of people don’t quite realize how bad a situation we’re in right now.
I think the board knows. Lets not pretend the Board is a whole bunch of people who is not Hockey Fans or have pride in their company. Yes, their bottom line might be MONEY, but how much did the Leafs brought in during COVID? On top of that, it is highly possible that those sitting on the Board will be hearing banter from their friends about losing to the Habs after leading 3-1 in the Series.

Reactions: egd27

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Isn't it nice to see Lou and the Islanders competing, and I mean really competing in the playoffs. Here he is with a blue collar team basically devoid of real stars other than Barzal and maybe Eberle if you stretch it. Here they are tied with the Bruins in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Uncle Leo is playing on the top line for goodness sake. I dare anyone to tell me the Bruins aren't as good as the Habs. Or, tell me the Islanders aren't as good as the Leafs. Lou knows how to put together a team that competes, lunch bucket guys that aren't just out for themselves but work for a common goal and that work is along the boards and in the corners. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, he also hired a coach who knows what he's doing, not some minor leaguer that caves into his spoiled brats and does little more than open the door.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Isn't it nice to see Lou and the Islanders competing, and I mean really competing in the playoffs. Here he is with a blue collar team basically devoid of real stars other than Barzal and maybe Eberle if you stretch it. Here they are tied with the Bruins in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Uncle Leo is playing on the top line for goodness sake. I dare anyone to tell me the Bruins aren't as good as the Habs. Or, tell me the Islanders aren't as good as the Leafs. Lou knows how to put together a team that competes, lunch bucket guys that aren't just out for themselves but work for a common goal and that work is along the boards and in the corners. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, he also hired a coach who knows what he's doing, not some minor leaguer that caves into his spoiled brats and does little more than open the door.
Agree with you but can you imagine Leo playing on the first line with the Leafs? Lol.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

They really roll their lines. Their leading forward plays 18 minutes, and only Matt Martin plays less than 14... he plays 12.

Komarov is 10th among their forwards.... so 4th line minutes.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
They really roll their lines. Their leading forward plays 18 minutes, and only Matt Martin plays less than 14... he plays 12.

Komarov is 10th among their forwards.... so 4th line minutes.

I guess a well balanced team might actually mean something. For Keefe and Dubas that would mean Matthews and Marner on the ice for 60 minutes.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
They squandered a golden opportunity to make the final 4 but instead lost in the first round to a team that wouldn’t have made the playoffs in a normal year.

They crashed and burned in spectacular fashion, again, yet some still have faith in the pilot.

It’s almost unbelievable.

First round next year (if they make it) will likely be Boston or Tampa Bay. What do you think will happen then?

Hundred percent they blew it. This was the easiest path they're going to have and they choked.

I still think Dubas did a good job changing this team from last season. He had the big to work around. Gave us depth, leadership and some toughness while improving our D and not losing major assets.

I think Dubas did a good enough job and the players are the ones responsible. Keefe needs to hold guys more accountable as well. Hes too soft on these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad