Speculation: Evander Kane Megathread - Under termination appeal, NHL investigation, & looking for a new contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Which no poster here has any context to provide.

His issues have never prevented him from being an elite level player.
Have you ever worked in an environment with a toxic co-worker? It's no different in hockey than at other jobs. It affects coworkers and productivity. As evidenced by the fact that that Kane's teams all want him gone

Sure new hires act like choir boys usually. Until they pass that probationary period and you can't fire them easily. Then the problems begin.

I know plenty of toxic people who were good at their job, yet the workplace was better and more productive as a whole once they were gone

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
When is the border investigation over? This is taking a lot of money off kane and they wanna sign already... or make an announcement really. How embarassing for them to investigate this for so long......

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
When is the border investigation over? This is taking a lot of money off kane and they wanna sign already... or make an announcement really. How embarassing for them to investigate this for so long......
It's been 7 days...

When Mike Richards' termination was appealed it took from August 10 to October 9 for a resolution

Kane is free to sign and start earning money whenever he wants. The appeal will just be whether San Jose still owes him money. I highly doubt any appeal would force either party back into the contract. That would be a much higher legal/labour issue.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's been 7 days...

When Mike Richards' termination was appealed it took from August 10 to October 9 for a resolution

Kane is free to sign and start earning money whenever he wants. The appeal will just be whether San Jose still owes him money. I highly doubt any appeal would force either party back into the contract. That would be a much higher legal/labour issue.

It looks like Kane and the PA do not want to pursue having the contract reinstated, but that's a perfectly legal grievance option the arbitrator has the power to rule on. It would simply be a question of whether or not Kane's actions constituted a Material Breach of the contract. The contract can only be terminated if a Material Breach occurred.

Reactions: uncleben

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
It looks like Kane and the PA do not want to pursue having the contract reinstated, but that's a perfectly legal grievance option the arbitrator has the power to rule on. It would simply be a question of whether or not Kane's actions constituted a Material Breach of the contract. The contract can only be terminated if a Material Breach occurred.
If a breach has occurred does this mean that they pay out the damages (ie contract amount)?

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Where’s the contract then?

It’s all been tactics to draw interest imo not a single team is willing to put this guy in their sweater.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I thought there was something that was lined up by the end of the week? lol silly Agent trying to make it sound like he's some sort of hot shot. Sounds like a real estate agent in the Vancouver area. He should take whatever he can get.

I really can't see power house teams in Florida messing up what those teams have going for a guy who faked a vaccine shot. Can't see Vancouver taking this either. Good luck Evander. You should take whatever a generous team out there has offered ya.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think the reason teams are holding off is because if this latest investigation has implications on his ability to travel or anything from the Canadian or US government they need to be aware of that.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I thought there was something that was lined up by the end of the week? lol silly Agent trying to make it sound like he's some sort of hot shot. Sounds like a real estate agent in the Vancouver area. He should take whatever he can get.

I really can't see power house teams in Florida messing up what those teams have going for a guy who faked a vaccine shot. Can't see Vancouver taking this either. Good luck Evander. You should take whatever a generous team out there has offered ya.

It sounded like the Oilers would sign he by the end of the week, or at least that's what the hockey analysts were saying/predicting.

But in search all of the McDavid quotes I could find, he never comes out and says that he wants Kane on his team. It all seemed like double-speak that people assume he does. In reality, it seemed like he doesn't but didn't want to wade into a shitstorm.

Yeah, player agents are like used car salesmen.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

He said that before the border crossing investigation, didn't he? I can see nobody wanting to touch him until that is resolved because who knows what penalties he may end up with. Temporary banning from crossing the border from the US, or even suspension by the NHL makes him a lot less interesting to sign.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well, the first two teams that traded him got full value for the player. San Jose was so happy with what they got the first time, they gave him a $50m contract.

He burned his bridge in Winnipeg and in San Jose.
He had 4 years left on his contract and was their top guy last year and SJ still wanted to get rid of him badly.

Something pretty clearly not right

Reactions: Helistin

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think the reason teams are holding off is because if this latest investigation has implications on his ability to travel or anything from the Canadian or US government they need to be aware of that.

He's a canadain citizen, canada can't really bar him.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Hopefully loser gets him and the Panthers pull out a big win. I want no part of that guy, plus he doesn’t seem to be a Zito guy.

I can totally understand this thought. You guys have a great team and are cup contenders. You have all the ingredients to be successful. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it kind of scenario. Hopefully we show up and put in a solid effort win or lose. If we get Kane, it will only help us so we string together a better record in order to make a trade for a goalie in a better position rather than our current desperation move where we will most likely get fleeced. Good luck panthers, that’s a team worth watching!

Reactions: FrolikFan67

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
If a breach has occurred does this mean that they pay out the damages (ie contract amount)?

If a material breach has occurred, they don't have to pay damages. They likely will argue progressive discipline was applied, and still continued to breach protocol.

The union will argue that termination was not proportional to the breach. In such a case they would be trying to mitigate, and recoup some or all of the salary.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I'm no lawyer, but if the NHL goes through and decides none of this stuff deserves further penalties, does that sort of give Kane a leg to stand on to go back at the Sharks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Based on this (bolded text from article) looks like Kane and EDM already have an agreement in principle. Will officially sign once the investigation is finished unless there is unforeseen snags.

Interesting that Kane's camp seems to think no punishment is coming. But that could just be wishful thinking on their part.

Here is a link to the aforementioned article in case there's any questions regarding the source:

Kane waiting on NHL report before signing — The Fourth Period

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad