Speculation: Evander Kane Megathread - Under termination appeal, NHL investigation, & looking for a new contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
With regards to Kane, I don't think it's necessarily about me doubting the Oilers leadership, but rather my confidence in Kane being able to be a massive disruption. He's done it on every team he has been on, to the point where he was a step away from Big Buff literally throwing him off the team, and what sounds like the entirety of the Sharks wanting him gone.

The gamble is, he's still a very talented player. Do you think you can keep him somewhat under control for the remainder of the year...or is his talent for ruining teams so great that he'll be able to do damage even in that small amount of time?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
His paycheck clearing is relevant. Employers feelings about him irrelevant.
What are we taking about though? That is for the league to decide. When it comes to judging his character, it absolutely matters how the Sharks handled him.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How not? Would you be happy giving 100% in your job if your employer made it abundantly clear to you that the company would be better off without you in it?

It doesn't matter if he's happy and it doesn't matter if he gives 100% or not. You report to the team if you expect to keep the checks coming. In most instances of failure to report, the player is suspended without pay but termination is an option as well and the team took it.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
With regards to Kane, I don't think it's necessarily about me doubting the Oilers leadership, but rather my confidence in Kane being able to be a massive disruption. He's done it on every team he has been on, to the point where he was a step away from Big Buff literally throwing him off the team, and what sounds like the entirety of the Sharks wanting him gone.

The gamble is, he's still a very talented player. Do you think you can keep him somewhat under control for the remainder of the year...or is his talent for ruining teams so great that he'll be able to do damage even in that small amount of time?
The gamble isn't significant if it is just this season and at a low cap hit.

Reactions: Jetsfan79

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If you think Kane is afraid of Nurse you should check his NHL fight card and guys on the teams he has played with in the past (Big Buff)and see that you are mistaken.

If buff couldn't keep the guy in check i doubt anyone else can.

Oilers are desperate. They continue to waste the prime years of the two best players on the planet.

Oilers fans can try to rationalize going after Kane, but the guy is a total basket case and the only reason a team would consider signing him is the utter desperation that oozes from the Oilers fan base.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
If buff couldn't keep the guy in check i doubt anyone else can.

Oilers are desperate. They continue to waste the prime years of the two best players on the planet.

Oilers fans can try to rationalize going after Kane, but the guy is a total basket case and the only reason a team would consider signing him is the utter desperation that oozes from the Oilers fan base.
Indeed
I don't believe he would have the reputation he has if he came equipped with an "in check" button.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
IMO if he indeed did violate Covid protocols again I think he will get another long suspension. Clearly he didn’t learn his lesson.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Dreger at tsn said if he avoids the suspension, the oilers is gon get him

Last edited by a moderator:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The gamble isn't significant if it is just this season and at a low cap hit.

It may jolt the season for the Oil but it could also add a bad locker room character to an already miserable group and potentially alienate the big guns in McDavid and Drai

It is one thing to have to lose, it is another thing to have a partyboy brat in the locker room while it happens.

Something about seeing this might just snap McD and make him realize this is the best management can do to support him and ask out

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It may jolt the season for the Oil but it could also add a bad locker room character to an already miserable group and potentially alienate the big guns in McDavid and Drai

It is one thing to have to lose, it is another thing to have a partyboy brat in the locker room while it happens.

Something about seeing this might just snap McD and make him realize this is the best management can do to support him and ask out
It's funny how much outside fans are clinging to this fantasy that McDavid will of course leave the Oilers.

I'm not so naive that I don't get that there is risk but so far it's all "logic", and by that I mean beliefs with premises that are hidden to everyone. An imagined future divorced from the present.

Superstar players do ask out if they dont get what they want. McDavid wants to win. A 2-10-2 stretch isnt enough to get to an extreme an action as asking out. But logically, if you project this out and the Oilers crash and burn the whole season and miss the playoffs, sure then it will be on the table. But we are not there yet, and the proof that McDavid is upset amounts to little more than the occasion sour look. Wow.

Just like Kane, which is a move McDavid has publicly endorsed btw. But sure if the org marries itself to a horrible player that makes the team toxic, McDavid could want out. However....you're using fantasy to play that situation out much longer than matches to reality. If Kane is the worst kind of awful, he wont be a toxic cancer because he wont be near the team anymore.

The worst situations can be reacted to and solved.

Reactions: nturn06

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Kane will totally kill in edm next week. The man is a total monster on the ice and so strong... physically, he aints to be messed with.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland

I think this will push either him or Draisaitl out the door if/when it back-fires in missing the play-offs.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Look Im no fan of Evander Kane.

But it seems allot of people do not realize Kane is ONLY SIGNING FOR 4-5 MONTHS! (assuming a team Is able to sign him to play pending the investigation)

Are people just not digesting this? In all previous times , the issue is that Kane eventually wears out his welcome and starts to do stupid things. There's is 0 risk to have him for 4-5 months with 0 assests spent and a prorated salary ( likly around 750 k from 1.5 mill).

People are acting like Kane will sign, proceed to meet up with his new team, twirl his mustache and say to everyone " Didn't you guys read twitter? heheheheee IM BAAAAD!..I'm a cancer and I'm going to piss you all off..hehehe" (Jumping up and down like an over excited kid)

Guys, first sign of trouble, you can burry Kane and his prorated salary in the AHL until July 1 and then hes is gone. Off the books. Finito.

Do people not realize this? He is not signing for 8 years here. For a team like Edmonton, it's virtually 0 risk.

You don't even need to bury him in the AHL. Just send him home, change the locks and your phone number.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Dustin Neilson on TSN 1260 just stated again this morning it is virtually certain Kane signs with the Oilers when he is cleared to do so. I believe the term "done deal" was used.

So if Kane is an Oiler for 40+ games I think this allows Tippett to play RNH (when he is back in the line up) at 3C:

Kane - McDavid - Yamamoto
Hyman - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Foegele - RNH - Kassian
Shore - McLeod - Sceviour

That is really REALLY good center depth. The left side wingers are great, and having a guy like RNH bolster the entire bottom six with his skill should help them from getting caved in 5v5.

Now onto defense and goaltending.

Reactions: CanuckCity and spot

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
So if Kane is an Oiler for 40+ games I think this allows Tippett to play RNH (when he is back in the line up) at 3C:

Foegele - RNH - Kassian
That would be the logical way but knowing Tippet it will probably be Kane - McD - Drai as soon as they are down a goal.

Reactions: Bruhin and TFHockey

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'd agree with you there. I don't think it's a bad idea for the Oilers to add him, it might help them to get out of their funk. I also understand why teams may have no interest in him though.

Agree... desperate times call for desperate measures.

I almost think the "distraction" could be a good thing... the moment he scores a goal and helps the team win, the narrative will change. Drai and McD are very competitive guys and losing is tearing them up... they have no outlet because when they look around the room, there just aren't enough guys to shoulder the burden.

It's no coincidence that this team can't even absorb the loss of a Nuge or a Nurse without struggling to compete.

One more star level player is one more star level player and the BIGGEST distraction we already have is a 7 game losing streak and a lack of goaltending.

Stringing 2-3 wins together would put them right back in the thick of things, still with games at hand on the division... That would clear some fog and allow Holland to negotiate a little less over the barrel.

We gotta do something NOW.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Dustin Neilson on TSN 1260 just stated again this morning it is virtually certain Kane signs with the Oilers when he is cleared to do so. I believe the term "done deal" was used.

Foegele - RNH - Kassian

That is really REALLY good center depth. The left side wingers are great, and having a guy like RNH bolster the entire bottom six with his skill should help them from getting caved in 5v5.

Now onto defense and goaltending.

Are you missing Ryan or did you give up on him? I'm in a minority, but I still prefer him at 4C to McLeod.

Otherwise, I agree... that would be a much more solid lineup. Follow up with a goalie for a 2nd or even a 1st and we'll be in much better shape. Add a deadline LD and now we are solid. With any luck, Holloway may also be ready after 20 games in the AHL.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Are you missing Ryan or did you give up on him? I'm in a minority, but I still prefer him at 4C to McLeod.

Otherwise, I agree... that would be a much more solid lineup. Follow up with a goalie for a 2nd or even a 1st and we'll be in much better shape. Add a deadline LD and now we are solid. With any luck, Holloway may also be ready after 20 games in the AHL.

I absolutely removed Derek Ryan from the 4C position. He hasn't been anywhere near as good as McLeod and has struggled mightily this year. This was a cheap gamble by Holland that should have worked out but didn't. Our bottom six stink again this year. RNH should bring that entire section up a notch or two.

We totally need a 3-4 guy on the back end (I'd like two, moving Ceci to the bottom pairing with Keith) and a 1A goaltender. I think 99% of Oiler fans are in agreement about this.

So the D:

Nurse - Bouchard
??? - Ceci?
Keith - Barrie? Ceci?

Russell - Lagesson - Koekoek

Barrie is highly likely to get moved in the scenario.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Agree... desperate times call for desperate measures.

I almost think the "distraction" could be a good thing... the moment he scores a goal and helps the team win, the narrative will change. Drai and McD are very competitive guys and losing is tearing them up... they have no outlet because when they look around the room, there just aren't enough guys to shoulder the burden.

It's no coincidence that this team can't even absorb the loss of a Nuge or a Nurse without struggling to compete.

One more star level player is one more star level player and the BIGGEST distraction we already have is a 7 game losing streak and a lack of goaltending.

Stringing 2-3 wins together would put them right back in the thick of things, still with games at hand on the division... That would clear some fog and allow Holland to negotiate a little less over the barrel.

We gotta do something NOW.
This "investigation of nothing" and changed rules all over again week to week month to month is taking so long............................... Its all bout that paper and every bit of seconds is off Kane's edm salary.... let the man have some paper again already. I mean what is this????

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Is he still appealing the termination of his last contract?

As im unsure how you can agree to a deal in principle while your legally fighting to keep your last one.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Is he still appealing the termination of his last contract?

As im unsure how you can agree to a deal in principle while your legally fighting to keep your last one.

The PA is grieving the termination but there's no way the result will be keeping the contract. The only possible results are the termination being upheld or that the team pays out damages that will turn into a cap hit for the Sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad