Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
There is no real reason that Brannstrom should be scratched over J. Brown, Zaitsev or Mete. This is just weird at this point.

The team leaned on him heavily as recently as two games ago and played 27 quality minutes the game before that. Either he is banged up or DJ is not an objective observer of how his players are performing.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
There is no real reason that Brannstrom should be scratched over J. Brown, Zaitsev or Mete. This is just weird at this point.

The team leaned on him heavily as recently as two games ago and played 27 quality minutes the game before that. Either he is banged up or DJ is not an objective observer of how his players are performing.
Or Zadina coming soon

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Zaitsev and Brown for all their faults bring something that is lacking on our D. I’d love to scratch Zaitsev but would replace him with either Thomson or JBD. Mete shouldn’t be playing ahead of Brannstrom.

I still don’t think they will healthy scratch Brannstrom.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Zaitsev and Brown for all their faults bring something that is lacking on our D. I’d love to scratch Zaitsev but would replace him with either Thomson or JBD. Mete shouldn’t be playing ahead of Brannstrom.

I still don’t think they will healthy scratch Brannstrom.

Come on man. We are way shorter on puck moving ability on our D than any skill Zaitsev or Brown brings.

Reactions: NB613

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

There really are tons of reasons why he may be scratched that don’t have anything to do with him being a better player than the bottom pairing guys.

It’s important to understand that we don’t know what we don’t know.

I like cross’s idea that a trade may be coming, that would be a great reason to scratch a player.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
I like Brann and yes he is a better hockey player than Z or Mete. However, I don’t think that is the only criteria we should look at when deciding who plays. For the first part of the season Brann was getting crushed at least once per game. He went to Belleville and Mann worked on moving the puck faster and using his feet, he came back to Ottawa and was no longer getting crushed and was playing great hockey. Brann has not played as well recently and a maintenance day or a watch the game and remember what made you better day is ok with me. Brann is a very important piece for Ottawa, long term or in trade, I have no problem with him sitting out while he is still being developed even if it means a poorer hockey player takes his place.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Can someone explain how this kid who's supposed to be an offensive dynamo is 6th in P/GP for defensemen behind guys like MDZ, Holden, Zub and Thomson? People are bitching about what an idiot DJ is for letting Mete potentially play tonight instead of him and I'm just wondering what you're seeing from his game that makes it such a firm stance to take? Shouldn't an offensive defenseman produce more than 5 points in 21 games? Especially the guy with 2nd highest PPTOI/GP among defensemen and 3rd highest EVTOI/GP? When Mete plays he doesn't get anywhere close to Brannstrom's ice time and people keep making it sound like a crime is being committed against Brann.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
^ I suspect the answer is because people want to see him develop, especially given the fact that Brann was the outcome of the Stone trade. That's one of the reasons I suspect.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Can someone explain how this kid who's supposed to be an offensive dynamo is 6th in P/GP for defensemen behind guys like MDZ, Holden, Zub and Thomson? People are bitching about what an idiot DJ is for letting Mete potentially play tonight instead of him and I'm just wondering what you're seeing from his game that makes it such a firm stance to take? Shouldn't an offensive defenseman produce more than 5 points in 21 games? Especially the guy with 2nd highest PPTOI/GP among defensemen and 3rd highest EVTOI/GP? When Mete plays he doesn't get anywhere close to Brannstrom's ice time and people keep making it sound like a crime is being committed against Brann.

Yes he gets pp time. Pp2 when Chabot's around. Some of the guys on pp2 are only in the NHL because of the extent of our injuries. And hiS brief run on pp1 when Chabot was out was also with guys that have no business on an NHL pp. Missing Norris and Batherson has effectively nullified our pp. That's not a criticism of Tkachuk and Stuetzle, it's an acknowledgement that you need 5 highly skilled players for it to work.

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You mean on Brannstrom out? Probably just banged up and needing some slow time between games.

Interesting though watching the reactions in here.
Oh it’s interesting? Like from a psychological point of view? Sociological?

It’s interesting seeing people on a hockey forum react to hockey news.

i think some of you are in the wrong place lol

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
“Seems as though a player most here enjoy watching is scratched”

“that’s dumb I disagree”

my exact line was “I don’t get this. At all”.

Yep we’re picketing in front of CTC

There are a few steps between relaxing and taking a ‘wait and see’ approach, and “picketing at the CTC”.

One of those steps is apparently taking to social media and lambasting the coaching staff for a roster move they never made.

Overreacting to third party speculation seems like a pretty decent descriptor. Buuuut us fans are going to fan as they say ;)

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
There are a few steps between relaxing and taking a ‘wait and see’ approach, and “picketing at the CTC”.

One of those steps is apparently taking to social media and lambasting the coaching staff for a roster move they never made.

Overreacting to third party speculation seems like a pretty decent descriptor. Buuuut us fans are going to fan as they say ;)

it's hilarious and embarassing at the same time.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Point remains.

If Brann was scratched today it was an odd move.

As for being an offensive dynamo not sure I ever saw that but he moves the puck extremely well and puts our forwards in good positions which generally is a good thing and will e eventually turn in to more goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad