Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but saying JBD is at most another year away is setting up yourself for disappointment. He is at least another year away. Has a lot he still needs to work on. If it was a team full of veteran D, I'd agree. But we are going to have a team where half the corps has less than 3 years D experience.

You're just talking shit. If jbd is AT LEAST a year away, he's a bust. If you think he's a bust come out and say it. At least another year away is D+6. That's full on bust territory for a first rounder

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You're just talking shit. If jbd is AT LEAST a year away, he's a bust. If you think he's a bust come out and say it. At least another year away is D+6. That's full on bust territory for a first rounder
Ah. I mean he could play serviceable bottom pairing minutes next year. But has some developing to do

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
in terms of pure offensive IQ? I don't think it's that hard. he consistently makes better offensive passes and reads from my views.

imagine if Brann was 6 ft 2 and could skate like Chabot.

Size difference is irrelevant. Not going to change whats going on between the ears.

Its Chabot all day here

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Size difference is irrelevant. Not going to change whats going on between the ears.

Its Chabot all day here

I don't agree, the more athletically blessed you are the more you can individually create for yourself.

Being 6 ft 2 and one of the best skaters in the league vs being 5 ft 10 and an above average skater makes a pretty big difference in the plays you are able to make.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is his first year of pro. That's not a bust, he was a late first and a D man. They take time. Management blew it by trading down and not taking Keandre Miller but that doesn't mean JBD is busting. He is basically a more mobile Demelo. I think he is a 40 game up and down d man next year than a full timer the following season. Still needs to get stronger and quicker.

Personally don't see Brannstrom in the long term plans here. Not with the team already having Chabot, then Sanderson, Thomson and JBD. I'd look to use Brannstrom as leverage to dump Zaitsev and bring in more draft capital. Maybe at the draft. Would free up money to extend Zub.

Brannstrom and Zaitsev to Arizona for a 2nd or something of that ilk. Maybe for the sens to move up and grab someone they like. Arizona has a ridiculous amount of picks, five 2nds lol. They need to get to the floor next year. They have Stralman, Kessel, Eriksson, Beagle, Jaskin and Larsson coming off the books. That's almost 30 million. Let's get serious they are going for Bedard/Michkov. Zaitsev helps.

By 2023/2024 I see this as the 7 man D core

Chabot Thomson
Sanderson Zub
Holden/Vet JBD
Kleven

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This is his first year of pro. That's not a bust, he was a late first and a D man. They take time. Management blew it by trading down and not taking Keandre Miller but that doesn't mean JBD is busting. He is basically a more mobile Demelo. I think he is a 40 game up and down d man next year than a full timer the following season. Still needs to get stronger and quicker.

Personally don't see Brannstrom in the long term plans here. Not with the team already having Chabot, then Sanderson, Thomson and JBD. I'd look to use Brannstrom as leverage to dump Zaitsev and bring in more draft capital. Maybe at the draft. Would free up money to extend Zub.

Brannstrom and Zaitsev to Arizona for a 2nd or something of that ilk. Maybe for the sens to move up and grab someone they like. Arizona has a ridiculous amount of picks, five 2nds lol. They need to get to the floor next year. They have Stralman, Kessel, Eriksson, Beagle, Jaskin and Larsson coming off the books. That's almost 30 million. Let's get serious they are going for Bedard/Michkov. Zaitsev helps.

Chabot Thomson
Sanderson Zub
Holden/Vet JBD
Kleven
I also like guenette. Could be an option. And these d are our starting point before any deals or other draft picks. We’re in good shape.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Chabot Thomson
Sanderson Zub
Holden/Vet JBD
Kleven

I was reacting to a post saying he was at least a year away. 3 years college, this year, next year, that puts us into the 23/24 season before he's here, possibly longer.....

Nick Holden will be 36 by then. He may not be here. Yesterday we discussed Zub, JBD and Thomson. Not going to repeat that

At least means possibly more...go look at the 2016 draft. First round D. Everyone of them is in the league except the Finnish kid drafted by Vancouver who's had terrible injury troubles and one other kid drafted late. Even all the second rounders are in the league except one.

If jbd isn't a full timer by then, he's moving into bust.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't agree, the more athletically blessed you are the more you can individually create for yourself.

Being 6 ft 2 and one of the best skaters in the league vs being 5 ft 10 and an above average skater makes a pretty big difference in the plays you are able to make.

So just so im clear here, you are arguing that physical features such as size and athleticsm directly correlates to hockey IQ?

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

First off, watch your mouth.

Secondly. He's 21 with late birthday on draft. It's no different than NCAA defender coming out of College for 4 years and being immediate threat.

Saying JBD needs at least another year is saying he's making an impact at 22-23. That's like what Zboril did. That's like what Pelech did. Pelech only played full season at D+6. That's like saying next year he plays most in AHL and even possibly split the year after then having full-time impact 2 years from now. That's not a bust, and not a crazy premise.

Saying JBD is at most a year away implies that the season after next, he plays 82 games for us. That's not a guarantee at all.

This is twice you've come after me while being utterly wrong/unjustified. Relax.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
So just so im clear here, you are arguing that physical features such as size and athleticsm directly correlates to hockey IQ?

no all three correlate to offensive play/production. Especially all three together which Chabot has.

so if one player has a significant athletic advantage but a tad lower offensive IQ over another player, chances are they will outproduce the higher IQ offensive player.

It's like Nathan MacKinnon being a much better offensive player than Mark Stone despite Stone having more IQ.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
no all three correlate to offensive play/production. Especially all three together which Chabot has.

so if one player has a significant athletic advantage but a tad lower offensive IQ over another player, chances are they will outproduce the higher IQ offensive player.

It's like Nathan MacKinnon being a much better offensive player than Mark Stone despite Stone having more IQ.

The question that was asked and debated was who on the Sens has the highest hockey IQ.

You've taken this conversation in a completely different direction.

The answer is Chabot in case you still aren't sure.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
The question that was asked and debated was who on the Sens has the highest hockey IQ.

You've taken this conversation in a completely different direction.

The answer is Chabot in case you still aren't sure.

Maybe I misunderstood something but reading back I do not think I took the conversation in another direction.

You said that you were disappointed in Branns hockey IQ, I found that odd as Branns hockey IQ is by far the strongest part of his game and why he has been able to play in pro leagues since he was 17 despite being 5 ft 10 and and not an incredible skater.

IMO there are a lot of things you can nit pick about Brann's game but IQ is a weird one.

Hockey IQ is everything for Brann and I do believe he has arguably the highest hockey IQ on the team. Not saying that Chabot has bad IQ or anything just that its debatable to me who has better as there are many times when Brann makes the game look easier than Chabot, especially offensively on the breakout, on the PP, and just general passing ability.

The comparison to Nathan MacKinnon and Stone is about how a lower hockey IQ can be more effective than a higher hockey IQ because of athleticism and tools.

Nate Mackinnon way better athleticism, less hockey IQ, but way better offense = Chabot

Mark Stone better hockey IQ but way less athleticism, so less offensive performance = Brannstrom

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I also don't think that Brannstrom is part of any future team here, if he is not moved by this yr's TDL than the next best solution would be to move him at the draft for something. They have Chabot, Holden & Sanderson for the left side next season & Zub & Zaitsev on the right side with Thomson knocking at the door & JBD & Guennette as depth. IMO MDZ is shipped out or bought out. If they re-sign Leslie & Heatherington as LD depth plus Aspirot that should be enough & Kleven could be coming soon.

I would love to see a Brannstrom package to Arz for Crouse or one of those late 1st rd picks or 2nd rd picks.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
First off, watch your mouth.

Secondly. He's 21 with late birthday on draft. It's no different than NCAA defender coming out of College for 4 years and being immediate threat.

Saying JBD needs at least another year is saying he's making an impact at 22-23. That's like what Zboril did. That's like what Pelech did. Pelech only played full season at D+6. That's like saying next year he plays most in AHL and even possibly split the year after then having full-time impact 2 years from now. That's not a bust, and not a crazy premise.

Saying JBD is at most a year away implies that the season after next, he plays 82 games for us. That's not a guarantee at all.

This is twice you've come after me while being utterly wrong/unjustified. Relax.

The season after next. So the 23-24 season? Won't play the full season?

I'll agree it's not a guarantee but by that point he's into bust territory.

Pelech was a 3rd round draft pick. I specifically said 1st round picks taking that long. And Zboril was widely considered a bust long before this season. Still is by many and the Bruins were a laughing stock for those 3 picks.

Go look for 1st rounders that aren't full time NHLers in their year 6. If you can find them that take that long and eventually become NHLers, you'll be staring at a guy that the fan base thought was a bust.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

How exactly does one measure hockey IQ? Can one take a simple online test like a regular IQ test?

I think it's a little ridiculous to say Stone has more hockey IQ than MacKinnon. You can't substantiate that.

dekem

Sep 2, 2005
Man, I really don’t understand the Brann. Hate on this board. The guy is entertaining to watch, makes good passes, defends as well as anyone but maybe Zub and Holden. If he is dumped for nothing, Ottawa will regret it. Same with Ennius. I enjoy watching guys that go hard and fast.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Man, I really don’t understand the Brann. Hate on this board. The guy is entertaining to watch, makes good passes, defends as well as anyone but maybe Zub and Holden. If he is dumped for nothing, Ottawa will regret it. Same with Ennius. I enjoy watching guys that go hard and fast.

It's a size bias. I prefer my defenders to be on the bigger side - hell it would be great if everybody was huge - but there is space for smaller guys to thrive. Brannstrom also doesn't have that blinding speed factor. He's a great skater but not with Formenton or Karlsson speed. So that's 2 negatives against him.

He will be a great puck mover and offensive catalyst though, and he's getting smarter defensively. Getting rid of him now would be a huge mistake unless they can acquire something worthwhile in return.

I wouldn't want another small defender to go along with him though. When they're icing both him and Mete, that's a recipe for disaster if you go with that in the playoffs. Fortunately the vision that Dorion and co have for this team is to build toward a group that should thrive in playoff hockey, so I don't see that happening. I like what they're doing and Brannstrom will have a place in that group moving forward unless an opportunity to get a missing piece comes along.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
When are we allowed to be concerned about Brannstrom’s lack of offensive production.

Of all our D Brannstrom and Zaitsev are only ahead of Heatherington in P/60. He also is a clear 2nd in PP TOI/G

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
20220224-110206.jpg

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
When are we allowed to be concerned about Brannstrom’s lack of offensive production.

Of all our D Brannstrom and Zaitsev are only ahead of Heatherington in P/60. He also is a clear 2nd in PP TOI/G
I was shocked to see how low his point totals are. He hasnt had much puck luck or finish from his teammates. He has moved the puck really well, guys just arent finishing I guess. Would like to see better goal scoring from him though, he has had some chances.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
He also is a clear 2nd in PP TOI/G

With who? outside of games without Chabot (not a lot) he has played 30s of each pp with NHL 4rst line guys, lol at this argument. The team lacks finishers, even with Norris and Batherson the snipers list was short and whitout them offense is not there against good D and goalies.

The only complaint i would have about his offense is his lack of quality shots, he doesn't find the net. He has the power but he needs to work on it, i doubt he has done that in recent years because he has been asked to work on his defense.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
After seeing that wrister from Boucher the other night, he looks like he has some sniper power. All he needs is someone to get him the puck like ..... ahhhhhhh .... Stutzle & Pinto.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The season after next. So the 23-24 season? Won't play the full season?

I'll agree it's not a guarantee but by that point he's into bust territory.

He'll be leaning bust if he plays the majority in the AHL. If he has a strong split in the NHL 40+ games, then he's right on track. The season after that he takes on full role with 82 + games as a fully matured defender in what should be our contention year. He's 24 by then and upwards and onwards we go.

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Thomson
XXXX-JBD

Deep, deep. Maybe JBD is with Chabot at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad