Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Holy crap, really?

Wallace and mendes? They’re the standard? Mendes is ok I guess but Wallace is terrible. Simpson is way more interesting to listen to and had way better takes than both put together imo.

Never heard him intentionally being disrespectful like you describe (as a bully). He shares his opinions and ideas is what I hear.
Some people don’t like him, so what?

Mendes is the gold standard. Yes. 100%.

Wallace is in the next tier below - and would at very least give the guys he was about to critique a heads up it was coming before it hit the news real. Not a fan personally - but if the guy published half of the stupid takes that Simpsons had he would be Don Brennan levels bad.

Shawn Simpson is nothing in reality - not a writer, not a reporter, not even an analyst really. Hes a half interested radio co-host with a loud mouth and a microphone. He doesnt even get to be graded with the rest of the folks who make up the "standard".

Hes the kind of guy that literally said that its already a foregone conclusion that Brannstrom isnt an NHL dman just a few short weeks ago - and he will stand behind it. And thats because all he does is talk on a platform that no one cares enough about to document him and his bad takes on. Its purely entertainment.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Not saying that its untrue - but can you show me one other reputable hockey person around the NHL that has seen Brannstrom play this season - and takes the same 100% bust stance on Brannstrom that Shawn Simpson still does today?

Im not saying they have to be high on him - but Shawn Simpson literally calls him a poor skater that has no real offensive upside.

Its embarrassing on his part imo. Bobby Ryan was hosting on the Wally and Meth show the other day and Ian Mendes asked him an interesting question about Shawn Simpson.

And I felt bad for Bobby because you can genuinely tell he doesnt naturally want to hate people. Its not in his nature to hold a grudge. But he hates Shawn Simpson, and for good reason.

The guy is basically a school yard bully. Hes got a personal agenda (feeding his own ego), and having a particular target that he can focus his vitriol towards is his entire MO.

Bobby even said as much that there were times that he wasnt a fan of what Mendes or Wallace had wrote about him - yet never lost respect for them at the same time because they were fair and balanced with him.

Obviously Simpson speaks the uncomfortable truth at times. And its not always easy to hear. But hes not nearly as good an evaluator of talent that he thinks he is, especially on the scouting side of things. He easily gets just as much or more wrong than he does right. And switching to his high pitched and condescending voice whenever hes forced to backpaddle on his hot take- does not in fact count as him being fair and balanced. It makes him an ass....
Simmer is a little harsh IMO but I know a Tampa scout based here in Ottawa that has shared his opinion on several of our prospects. He isn’t high on Brannstrom and a couple others. I would take it with a grain of salt on Brannstrom as organizationally Tampa doesn’t like small D.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Simmer is a little harsh IMO but I know a Tampa scout based here in Ottawa that has shared his opinion on several of our prospects. He isn’t high on Brannstrom and a couple others. I would take it with a grain of salt on Brannstrom as organizationally Tampa doesn’t like small D.

Brannstrom will always be polarizing because of his size. Some orgs place a lot of value on size and you really need to stand out to get past it.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Simmers walked back some of his Branny chatter - the other day he acknowledged that he’s a good option to run the PP. I get where he’s going … you can live with his size if he is your PP1 - but you don’t need him if he’s just PP2 and a light stick/body in your own end.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I don't get how people can watch the games and complain about EB. Yes, there are odd times when size deficiency shows but for every play like that there are 3 others that he does things our other D cannot. Especially in terms of controlled exits. But he's pretty good defensively overall I find. Good stick and positioning is great. Just, yes, on occasion that lack of size hurts him a bit.

Love the puck moving aspect of his game. Which, to me, is a huge part of playing good defense.

I love Simmer's takes but he's got this one wrong.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I don't get how people can watch the games and complain about EB. Yes, there are odd times when size deficiency shows but for every play like that there are 3 others that he does things our other D cannot. Especially in terms of controlled exits. But he's pretty good defensively overall I find. Good stick and positioning is great. Just, yes, on occasion that lack of size hurts him a bit.

Love the puck moving aspect of his game. Which, to me, is a huge part of playing good defense.

I love Simmer's takes but he's got this one wrong.
Im not sure what it is other than people just not liking small players…. Though it’s odd cause it’s not like JBD and Thomson are 6’2’’

everything we have seen he is a top 4 defensemen on this team rn and without chabot he is the top guy

maybe they are afraid he will take ice from Sanderson? I really don’t get it

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Im not sure what it is other than people just not liking small players…. Though it’s odd cause it’s not like JBD and Thomson are 6’2’’

everything we have seen he is a top 4 defensemen on this team rn and without chabot he is the top guy

maybe they are afraid he will take ice from Sanderson? I really don’t get it
Right now he is obviously top 4-5 but where will he be by the end of next season ?
As for right now with Chabot out our best D in order have been Zub, Holden then Brannstrom.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Right now he is obviously top 4-5 but where will he be by the end of next season ?
As for right now with Chabot out our best D in order have been Zub, Holden then Brannstrom.
That still makes him a staple on our defense

brannstrom has been carrying the load on the offensive side of the puck and playing the most minutes

He is one of the top guys to keep going into the next season

unless ppl are expecting us to bring in chychrun plus another guy ?

Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - uta/trade
Sanderson - Holden
Ex zaitzev

Seems like the obvious defence for next year imo

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That still makes him a staple on our defense

brannstrom has been carrying the load on the offensive side of the puck and playing the most minutes

He is one of the top guys to keep going into the next season

unless ppl are expecting us to bring in chychrun plus another guy ?

Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - uta/trade
Sanderson - Holden
Ex zaitzev

Seems like the obvious defence for next year imo
I think Sanderson vs Brannstrom might be flipped but pairing are more important than slotting with the 2 of them.

I think we realistically see

Chabot Zaitsev (hopefully Thomson but I’m talking reality)

Brannstrom Zub

Sanderson Holden

I ant see the team bringing in a top 4 D with Thomson and JBD both at most another year away.

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Mendes is the gold standard. Yes. 100%.

Wallace is in the next tier below - and would at very least give the guys he was about to critique a heads up it was coming before it hit the news real. Not a fan personally - but if the guy published half of the stupid takes that Simpsons had he would be Don Brennan levels bad.

Shawn Simpson is nothing in reality - not a writer, not a reporter, not even an analyst really. Hes a half interested radio co-host with a loud mouth and a microphone. He doesnt even get to be graded with the rest of the folks who make up the "standard".

Hes the kind of guy that literally said that its already a foregone conclusion that Brannstrom isnt an NHL dman just a few short weeks ago - and he will stand behind it. And thats because all he does is talk on a platform that no one cares enough about to document him and his bad takes on. Its purely entertainment.
A little harsh on simmer here lmao. He’s a radio personality. It’s his job to do exactly what he’s doing and he has a history in the NHL.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
A little harsh on simmer here lmao. He’s a radio personality. It’s his job to do exactly what he’s doing and he has a history in the NHL.

I mean, I pretty much said the exact same thing in my post.

The guy is mostly all fluff. Its entertainment, and thats about it.

And I dont think being hyper critical of Simmer is any less fair than the way he takes on some players. Hes a big boy, and if he can dish it, he should be prepared to take it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I mean, I pretty much said the exact same thing in my post.

The guy is mostly all fluff. Its entertainment, and thats about it.

And I dont think being hyper critical of Simmer is any less fair than the way he takes on some players. Hes a big boy, and if he can dish it, he should be prepared to take it.
“Half interested radio co host with a big mouth” is not “pretty much” what I said.

yeah he’s a big boy. I’m just saying it’s. A harsh opinion. Whether right or wrong.

I don’t mind his takes on brannstrom. He states his opinion. But the morning after a good game by brannstrom he’s making sure to mention it. Which I appreciate

Reactions: lancepitlick

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If he doesn't start shooting the puck, he will not play on this team
His shots just always get blocked as all our Defences shots do. I think it’s a system thing if anything. The only dude that gets shots through is zub. I bet we have the least shots on goal by d men in the whole league

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
“Half interested radio co host with a big mouth” is not “pretty much” what I said.

yeah he’s a big boy. I’m just saying it’s. A harsh opinion. Whether right or wrong.

I don’t mind his takes on brannstrom. He states his opinion. But the morning after a good game by brannstrom he’s making sure to mention it. Which I appreciate

Im ok that you like Simpson and his opinions.

You should be okay that I cant stand him or his over the top takes.

Simpson doesnt sugar coat his opinions on anyone ever, so why should I sugar coat my opinion on him? To appease you?

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Improving but still a bottom pair dman. Can skate and rush with it but honestly his hockey IQ and offensive creativity leave a lot to be desired.

If anyone touches him in the d zone its over for him as he usually falls down.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Im ok that you like Simpson and his opinions.

You should be okay that I cant stand him or his over the top takes.

Simpson doesnt sugar coat his opinions on anyone ever, so why should I sugar coat my opinion on him? To appease you?
Dude what? No lmao. Say whatever you want. I just made a passing comment on how harsh it was. Chill

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Improving but still a bottom pair dman. Can skate and rush with it but honestly his hockey IQ and offensive creativity leave a lot to be desired.

His hockey IQ?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
His shots just always get blocked as all our Defences shots do. I think it’s a system thing if anything. The only dude that gets shots through is zub. I bet we have the least shots on goal by d men in the whole league
Small nitpick but how about Holden. Two fewer SOGs than Zub but 6 fewer games played.

But yeah we don't have any shooting threats, right now, whether it's from our forwards or our D. Brannstrom has a powerful shot and should use it on the PP, even if it is blocked it will hurt at least lol.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Wow. Are we watching the same games? He seems to almost always find a good way to exit our zone under control That's the epitome of hockey IQ for a D-man.

As for the second sentence it's hyperbole. He obviously isn't physically dominant but he does fine when there is minor contact. Needs to avoid more hits but he's getting the puck out much more often than not.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Small nitpick but how about Holden. Two fewer SOGs than Zub but 6 fewer games played.

But yeah we don't have any shooting threats, right now, whether it's from our forwards or our D. Brannstrom has a powerful shot and should use it on the PP, even if it is blocked it will hurt at least lol.
Yeah Holden too actually. I find Holdens shots are not center all though it’s as he’s creeping along the boards or he ends up getting the puck off a cycle and he’s got a clear lane. Zub will actually get the shot through a wall of bodies. This is based off my memory only which may be very wrong

Reactions: DrEasy

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think Sanderson vs Brannstrom might be flipped but pairing are more important than slotting with the 2 of them.

I think we realistically see

Chabot Zaitsev (hopefully Thomson but I’m talking reality)

Brannstrom Zub

Sanderson Holden

I ant see the team bringing in a top 4 D with Thomson and JBD both at most another year away.

I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but saying JBD is at most another year away is setting up yourself for disappointment. He is at least another year away. Has a lot he still needs to work on. If it was a team full of veteran D, I'd agree. But we are going to have a team where half the corps has less than 3 years D experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad