Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
It bothers me when people point to EB when complaining about our lack of size and physicality. You don't need 6 bruisers and guys we brought in to be that presence aren't doing it.
Brown 6'5" 220
Zaitsev 6'2" 195
Nick Holden 6'4" 215
Thomas Chabot 6'2" 195
Artem Zub 6'2" 200
Adding one smaller D to that group shouldn't really be an issue at all and doesn't make us "small" on the back end.

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
Other teams must be laughing when they see Mete AND Brannstrom in the lineup. They don’t have to worry too much about running out of ice packs.
Ironie, is that you can add big Brown as a soft d-man. Maybe is just too slow to be able to hit anything…

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It bothers me when people point to EB when complaining about our lack of size and physicality. You don't need 6 bruisers and guys we brought in to be that presence aren't doing it.
Brown 6'5" 220
Zaitsev 6'2" 195
Nick Holden 6'4" 215
Thomas Chabot 6'2" 195
Artem Zub 6'2" 200
Adding one smaller D to that group shouldn't really be an issue at all and doesn't make us "small" on the back end.

We don't really have one "bruiser" on our back end ... Brown may be close and everyone hates him. Our D is soft and adding Lassi, Sanderson, and JBD won't make it tougher.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but saying JBD is at most another year away is setting up yourself for disappointment. He is at least another year away. Has a lot he still needs to work on. If it was a team full of veteran D, I'd agree. But we are going to have a team where half the corps has less than 3 years D experience.
We shall see. A full offseason of strength training along with time time he’s getting with the skating consultant is huge.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
W
Other teams must be laughing when they see Mete AND Brannstrom in the lineup. They don’t have to worry too much about running out of ice packs.
Ironie, is that you can add big Brown as a soft d-man. Maybe is just too slow to be able to hit anything…
Well it’s happened. And opposing teams don’t exactly have an easy time against us when both are in the lineup

Reactions: Emrasie

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think Chabot and Brannstrom are both very good PP defensemen.
I posted this opinion before but based purely offensively

PP

Brannstrom > Chabot > EK

5v5

EK > Chabot > Brannstrom

Very weird.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We don't really have one "bruiser" on our back end ... Brown may be close and everyone hates him. Our D is soft and adding Lassi, Sanderson, and JBD won't make it tougher.

Tyler Kleven should change that, I think he will be a "Bruise" on the back end, he can't here fast enough.

in terms of pure offensive IQ? I don't think it's that hard. he consistently makes better offensive passes and reads from my views.

imagine if Brann was 6 ft 2 and could skate like Chabot.

Then Brann would be Chabot, but he's not, hes small slow Brann.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Tyler Kleven should change that, I think he will be a "Bruise" on the back end, he can't here fast enough.

With Kleven coming , let’s package Branny for help on the wing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I imagine this will be an ongoing discussion whether they need to go out an upgrade their right side or try & fix it from within. C. Brown IMO has proven he can play on that 2nd line at RW & Gaudette has been okay at RW & maybe with a full yr could fill in at RW on the 3rd line. Sokolov has had two good yrs in Belleville & looks close to being NHL ready & could also fill in on that 3rd RD spot for a yr or share it with Gaudette. And Boucher is the future RW that was drafted for a 2nd or 3rd line role on whenever it is determined he is NHL ready.

They could go out & get a Fiala or Giroux or they could just fill it internally until Boucher is ready, who knows? They have said they want to sign a forward, but it could be another transition piece like Ennis, Gaudette or Sanford they were thinking about rather than a high profile player like Giroux or Fiala. Who knows? Should be interesting whatever happens with this.

Last edited:

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
The Brannstrom is too small line seems odd considering Sens had tiny EK and Brannstrom was "the best moment in Dorions career" while still the same basic height/weight.

And they've had endless big plugs on D who are way worse.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The Brannstrom is too small line seems odd considering Sens had tiny EK and Brannstrom was "the best moment in Dorions career" while still the same basic height/weight.

EK is about 2 inches taller, and was obviously a better player, better skater.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Dorion must have been on sauce or something else the day he said that! :)

I agree!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Kleven is years away, if he ends up becoming an NHL D at all.

Englund looked pretty impressive too at the same age but it turned out that he didn't have the skill or IQ to succeed at the highest level.

Same may be true of Kleven. Time will tell, but he's certainly not a reason to move Brannstrom now.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Brannstrom is small but not slow compared to J. Brown and Holden. Brannstrom can also skate with the puck out of the D zone and make good passes to our forwards which is something I have seldom seen from J. Brown and Holden. None of our big defensemen are punishing hitters; other teams do not fear going down the boards against them. I hope Kleven can change that. I don't think JBD, Thomson, Brannstrom, Zub, Chabot will ever become that type of bruising hitter. We need a couple of them on the roster, particularly when we get into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad