Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I’m just pointing out that you didn’t want to keep Brannstrom in the minors to develop.
i didnt want Brannstrom this year in the minors cause he deserves to be on the NHL team. He is a defacto top 6 defensemen on this horrible roster and was exxcelent in the AHL last year and for most of his time down there.

Why would you want an NHL defensemen in the AHL when your team is bottom 5?

JBD is not a good of a prospect as Brannstrom and he hasn't proven in the AHL that he is ready for the next step yet.

Lastly if our goal is to be a playoff team next year we should be strengthening the right side with proven NHL talent

Two very different situations

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I’m just pointing out that you didn’t want to keep Brannstrom in the minors to develop.

Why would anyone want to keep a top 4 dman on the main team in the minors?

Going back to last season the team consistently looks much better with Brann in the lineup. Significant difference in the flow and offensive creativity of the team with Brann in vs out.

So why would someone want a player who makes the main team better, and is clearly too good for the ahl, in the minors?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
i didnt want Brannstrom this year in the minors cause he deserves to be on the NHL team. He is a defacto top 6 defensemen on this horrible roster and was exxcelent in the AHL last year and for most of his time down there.

JBD is not a good of a prospect as Brannstrom and he hasn't proven in the AHL that he is ready for the next step yet.

Lastly if our goal is to be a playoff team next year we should be strengthening the right side with proven NHL talent

JBD is one of our most overrated prospects - this boards had him pencilled in as Chabot’s partner for years.

He may get there but he has a long way to go to provide Demelo type defense let alone a 2D type defense.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Weircioch and Turris are 2 good examples of guys who just couldn’t get strong enough to reach their full potential. This is my sole concern with JBD, if he can gain some real strength he will be an excellent top 4.

Me too, same concern with JBD

It's funny that you mention Turris because I talked about this exactly yesterday in the first game back in our friends league. Some were complaining to have gained a few pounds during Christmas and it came on this subject. I mentioned Turris and how he struggled to put some weight and had to eat 6000 calories a day to stay afloat. Always a great example to show how hard it is to be a pro athlete.

Reactions: Fuhrious

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Curious where the JBD needs to gain strength and worry that he can't comes from. I see him listed as 6 feet 190. That's nowhere close to the Turris or Weircioch situations

I also don't get the few years away. JBD is a 1st zt round pick. He's 22 in June. If he's a few years away... Few meaning 3..... He's a 1st round bust. 1st rounders that don't make the NHL until 25 are generally considered busts.

I'm not advocating moving Zub, and clearly said it depends on the organization's thoughts on JBD, but I think it is a distinct possibility

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Because I prefer to develop players properly rather than incrementally improve the NHL team.

JBD is not a good of a prospect as Brannstrom

That’s an opinion. I’m pretty sure there is a debate to be had on this topic.

At what cost though. We could definitely consider it but the cost would include getting rid of Zaitsev. I’d love to hear some options for the right side, term, AAV, impact on the rest of the roster, acquisition cost. Lots to consider.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why would anyone want to keep a top 4 dman on the main team in the minors?

Going back to last season the team consistently looks much better with Brann in the lineup. Significant difference in the flow and offensive creativity of the team with Brann in vs out.

So why would someone want a player who makes the main team better, and is clearly too good for the ahl, in the minors?
Lots of points in there. Was he too good for the AHL last year ? You obviously think so but I’m not so sure.

Did he improve our D last year ? Sure he did, but was having him in the NHL hamper his development, jury is out, the next few years should help provide clarity.

Again it comes down to a development philosophy. I doubt playing in the AHL this year would have harmed Brannstrom’s development, in fact it may have given him the chance to dominate. But having him here helps us go from 12th to 11th in the conference. Not sure if it will have been worth it in the end.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
50 point Dman in the clutch and grab era is a 70 point Dman now. Erik Karlsson couldn’t of played in Reddens NHL with Shayne Corson getting a piggy back over the blue line

Right - and so that makes the guys I mentioned like 90-100pt Dmen by todays standards using that same logic then. And fwiw, Redden had his sole 50pt season in the highest scoring year in recent memory (05-06). Not in the height of the clutch and grab era as you seem to be suggesting.

All Im saying is that at no point did Redden have the best first pass in the NHL. Thats a fallacy.

Reactions: OD99

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Right - and so that makes the guys I mentioned like 90-100pt Dmen by todays standards using that same logic then. And fwiw, Redden had his sole 50pt season in the highest scoring year in recent memory (05-06). Not in the height of the clutch and grab era as you seem to be suggesting.

All Im saying is that at no point did Redden have the best first pass in the NHL. Thats a fallacy.
To be fair, the year Redden hit 50 he did it in 65, pretty much an identical pace to Niedermayer and Gonchar that year, who you mentioned as way ahead of him.

Redden's first pass was probably his best asset, and I agree it was best in the league, it was probably among the top 5-10 or so imo. It was good enough that Dean (I think it was Dean Brown) used to claim it was the best in the league seemingly every game... Not that Dean saying it means much

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Lots of points in there. Was he too good for the AHL last year ? You obviously think so but I’m not so sure.

Did he improve our D last year ? Sure he did, but was having him in the NHL hamper his development, jury is out, the next few years should help provide clarity.

Again it comes down to a development philosophy. I doubt playing in the AHL this year would have harmed Brannstrom’s development, in fact it may have given him the chance to dominate. But having him here helps us go from 12th to 11th in the conference. Not sure if it will have been worth it in the end.
One thing to keep in mind is player mind set.

Brann being down when he and a lot of people on the team realize he is an NHL player isn't a good look and could be detrimental to him in other ways.

It's one thing to be a brutal team and have a young guy who isn't waiver eligible (and a bubble player on main roster) have that development philosophy but if Brann had to spend the season in the A this year I think it would have been questioned. Especially as they are in a transition year in Belleville.

He is clearly a legit NHL and is proving his value each game.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To be fair, the year Redden hit 50 he did it in 65, pretty much an identical pace to Niedermayer and Gonchar that year, who you mentioned as way ahead of him.

Redden's first pass was probably his best asset, and I agree it was best in the league, it was probably among the top 5-10 or so imo. It was good enough that Dean (I think it was Dean Brown) used to claim it was the best in the league seemingly every game... Not that Dean saying it means much

Dean saying anything is not saying much! And also saying too much! :)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Brann being down when he and a lot of people on the team realize he is an NHL player isn't a good look and could be detrimental to him in other ways.

It's one thing to be a brutal team and have a young guy who isn't waiver eligible (and a bubble player on main roster) have that development philosophy but if Brann had to spend the season in the A this year I think it would have been questioned. Especially as they are in a transition year in Belleville.

So many people clamour for the “Detroit” model until it’s implemented.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

he was more known for the 2 zone pass from deep in his zone to the opposition blue line and was the best In the NHL at that. He did make a Canadian Olympic team so we are talking elite and not just really good

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
So many people clamour for the “Detroit” model until it’s implemented.

the detroit model was with skilled players though at the nhl level. Like keeping bran in the ahl to develop would be one thing if we even had an average defense but when is the last time we had that

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

But he didn't spend the year in the A so I'm not sure what you're getting at

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
the detroit model was with skilled players though at the nhl level. Like keeping bran in the ahl to develop would be one thing if we even had an average defense but when is the last time we had that
We can go in circles with this. If you like to have prospects “overripe” then it is irrelevant what is happening at the NHL level.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i dont think the 'detroit model' has been referenced in over 5 years

Brannstrom is developed enough in the AHL. Its a young mans game now

Even the 'detroit model' had guys coming in to the NHL after 3 years of being drafted let alone 4

Last edited:
Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Because I prefer to develop players properly rather than incrementally improve the NHL team.

JBD is not a good of a prospect as Brannstrom

That’s an opinion. I’m pretty sure there is a debate to be had on this topic.

At what cost though. We could definitely consider it but the cost would include getting rid of Zaitsev. I’d love to hear some options for the right side, term, AAV, impact on the rest of the roster, acquisition cost. Lots to consider.

No it definitely is not an opinion that Brannstrom is a better prospect than JBD. Looked excellent in the AHL at 19 years old. Was the captain of team sweden in the WJC and name to the all star team. Brannstrom was picked higher in the draft. Brannstroms has always been higher than JBDs

Why is Zaitsev always brought up when we talk about improving the right side? If the sens want to improve they have to be okay with sitting him if they can't move him for an upgrade. Like they did with Murray and MDZ

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No it definitely is not an opinion that Brannstrom is a better prospect than JBD. Looked excellent in the AHL at 19 years old. Was the captain of team sweden in the WJC and name to the all star team. Brannstrom was picked higher in the draft. Brannstroms has always been higher than JBDs

Why is Zaitsev always brought up when we talk about improving the right side? If the sens want to improve they have to be okay with sitting him if they can't move him for an upgrade. Like they did with Murray and MDZ
It’s definitely your opinion on Brannstrom vs JBD. There are lots of people in the hockey world that have the same view as Simmer and there are some that really like him. Same thing for JBD. Let’s see where JBD is after a couple of pro seasons.

Reality is they aren’t going to put Zaitsev in the minors. It’s fantasy to think otherwise.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It’s definitely your opinion on Brannstrom vs JBD. There are lots of people in the hockey world that have the same view as Simmer and there are some that really like him. Same thing for JBD. Let’s see where JBD is after a couple of pro seasons.

Reality is they aren’t going to put Zaitsev in the minors. It’s fantasy to think otherwise.

If im Dorion im called Arizona and tossing picks to drop that contract

hopefully Dorion can start actually building a real defense here instead of trying to buy others peoples crap and throwing them in the top 4

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If im Dorion im called Arizona and tossing picks to drop that contract

hopefully Dorion can start actually building a real defense here instead of trying to buy others peoples crap and throwing them in the top 4
If Zaitsev waives to go to Arizona that’s the likely spot. It probably costs a 2nd + to get it done. I think we will see the future D settled after next season. Decisions on Zub, Zaitsev, Brannstrom, Thomson and JBD will likely be flushed out by then.

Reactions: NB613

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
But he didn't spend the year in the A so I'm not sure what you're getting at
It's in reference to the comment that he should have and that it wouldn't hurt him.

I'm participating in the discussion in general, what are you getting at?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Not saying that its untrue - but can you show me one other reputable hockey person around the NHL that has seen Brannstrom play this season - and takes the same 100% bust stance on Brannstrom that Shawn Simpson still does today?

Im not saying they have to be high on him - but Shawn Simpson literally calls him a poor skater that has no real offensive upside.

Its embarrassing on his part imo. Bobby Ryan was hosting on the Wally and Meth show the other day and Ian Mendes asked him an interesting question about Shawn Simpson.

And I felt bad for Bobby because you can genuinely tell he doesnt naturally want to hate people. Its not in his nature to hold a grudge. But he hates Shawn Simpson, and for good reason.

The guy is basically a school yard bully. Hes got a personal agenda (feeding his own ego), and having a particular target that he can focus his vitriol towards is his entire MO.

Bobby even said as much that there were times that he wasnt a fan of what Mendes or Wallace had wrote about him - yet never lost respect for them at the same time because they were fair and balanced with him.

Obviously Simpson speaks the uncomfortable truth at times. And its not always easy to hear. But hes not nearly as good an evaluator of talent that he thinks he is, especially on the scouting side of things. He easily gets just as much or more wrong than he does right. And switching to his high pitched and condescending voice whenever hes forced to backpaddle on his hot take- does not in fact count as him being fair and balanced. It makes him an ass....

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not saying that its untrue - but can you show me one other reputable hockey person around the NHL that has seen Brannstrom play this season - and takes the same 100% bust stance on Brannstrom that Shawn Simpson still does today?

Im not saying they have to be high on him - but Shawn Simpson literally calls him a poor skater that has no real offensive upside.

Its embarrassing on his part imo. Bobby Ryan was hosting on the Wally and Meth show the other day and Ian Mendes asked him an interesting question about Shawn Simpson.

And I felt bad for Bobby because you can genuinely tell he doesnt naturally want to hate people. Its not in his nature to hold a grudge. But he hates Shawn Simpson, and for good reason.

The guy is basically a school yard bully. Hes got a personal agenda (feeding his own ego), and having a particular target that he can focus his vitriol towards is his entire MO.

Bobby even said as much that there were times that he wasnt a fan of what Mendes or Wallace had wrote about him - yet never lost respect for them at the same time because they were fair and balanced with him.

Obviously Simpson speaks the uncomfortable truth at times. And its not always easy to hear. But hes not nearly as good an evaluator that he thinks he is, especially as a scout and looking at prospects. And switching to a high pitched voice that drips with trepedation whenever the Sens win a game does not count as being fair and balanced.
Holy crap, really?

Wallace and mendes? They’re the standard? Mendes is ok I guess but Wallace is terrible. Simpson is way more interesting to listen to and has way better takes than both put together imo. Those other two can take things personally and I’ve seen them both get all worked up about bs. Wallace especially. You can see how Methot is bothered by him after working alongside him.

Never heard him intentionally being disrespectful like you describe (as a bully). He shares his opinions and ideas is what I hear.
Some people don’t like him, so what?

I’ve been a big brannstrom patience defender and fan but realize that he’s really up against it here with what we have coming. Right now he is a good option but I can see how he might not be in the future plans and in that case yeah sell high if the right deal presents itself.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad