Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
All this talk about jbd and Thomson, their readiness and potential roles

Has anyone given much thought to Zub being the odd man out?

Chabot Thomson
Sanderson jbd
Holden Brannstrom
Zaitsev

I will not be surprised if it plays out this way and I think it is contingent on how jbd turns out
When we signed Zub, Dorion mentioned the term gave them flexibility for when JBD and Thomson.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
When we signed Zub, Dorion mentioned the term gave them flexibility for when JBD and Thomson.

I know what Dorion said and why he said it

But there's a consensus opinion emerging here that we need to sign Zub to a long term deal

I like Zub. I was raising the Zub flag before he ever suited up for this team. But I am thinking it's more than possible that his days are numbered.

I thought with a two year deal he might be here thru next season. With Dorion recently mentioning wanting to have some stability from the TDL to opening night next year, I started thinking about Zub being moved. That to me depends on the organization's thoughts of jbd moreso than Thomson because I think Thomson is ready.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol, Sanderson is a rookie.

Thomson is a rookie. JBD is a rookie(who is at least 2 years away from top 4 contribution).

Letting Zub go because we have 3 rookies incoming would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. Especially when the contract Zub will sign will probably be a steal in years 2-3 and easily movable if we want to trade him.

Letting Zub go will be pure incompetence. If he does not want to re-sign, we should aggressively pursue trading him in the off-season for a defender with equal ability and we can control.

We cannot afford to lose Zub. He's unquestionably our 2nd best defender and has shown glimpses of being more than just a top 4 and he's only 26. Insanity to let him go.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
JBD kinda reminds me of Wiercioch but thankfully is a much better skater. The other thing he needs is to be stronger than Wiercioch was.

Give Wiercioch speed and strength and he'd still be a top-4 in the NHL. It would be very surprising if JBD doesn't have at least 500+ NHL games (if healthy of course)

Lol, Sanderson is a rookie.

Thomson is a rookie. JBD is a rookie(who is at least 2 years away from top 4 contribution).

Letting Zub go because we have 3 rookies incoming would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. Especially when the contract Zub will sign will probably be a steal in years 2-3 and easily movable if we want to trade him.

We're going to be fine... we have Elite Z and MDZ is developing pretty well in the NHL.

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know what Dorion said and why he said it

But there's a consensus opinion emerging here that we need to sign Zub to a long term deal

I like Zub. I was raising the Zub flag before he ever suited up for this team. But I am thinking it's more than possible that his days are numbered.

I thought with a two year deal he might be here thru next season. With Dorion recently mentioning wanting to have some stability from the TDL to opening night next year, I started thinking about Zub being moved. That to me depends on the organization's thoughts of jbd moreso than Thomson because I think Thomson is ready.
Sure, I don't disagree. If Thomson and Zub are both ready for regular roles, ideally it would be Zaitsev on the way out but Zub could return something at the deadline and there's only so many spots on the roster so you can't keep everyone.

It's a good problem to have,

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
JBD kinda reminds me of Wiercioch but thankfully is a much better skater. The other thing he needs is to be stronger than Wiercioch was.

Give Wiercioch speed and strength and he'd still be a top-4 in the NHL. It would be very surprising if JBD doesn't have at least 500+ NHL games (if healthy of course)

We're going to be fine... we have Elite Z and MDZ developing pretty well in the NHL.

Wiercioch was absolutely subpar defensively, always coveted as an offense first defender. JBD is defense first. Also, saying JBD is much better skater isn't entirely accurate.

JBD's skating is average. He needs to improve his skating and strength and he'll be an every day top 4.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Wiercioch was absolutely subpar defensively, always coveted as an offense first defender. JBD is defense first. Also, saying JBD is much better skater isn't entirely accurate.

JBD's skating is average. He needs to improve his skating and strength and he'll be an every day top 4.

It's kinda impossible to defend in this era without the proper foot speed and strength, again, this is what Wiercioch lacked.

JBD's skating is average by today's standards. Compared to 10 years ago and Wiercioch's skating, it's very good

Also, I didn't say PW was the perfect comparable for JBD, I said he "kinda reminds me of "; then I listed the things that prevented Wiercioch from being better. Thought it was clear enough

Last edited:
Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Chabot Thomson
Sanderson jbd
Holden Brannstrom
Zaitsev

I will not be surprised if it plays out this way and I think it is contingent on how jbd turns out
This is a fear I have. Dorion sort of telegraphed that this was his plan but I’m hopeful he has come to his senses. There is room for all 3.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

We're going to be fine... we have Elite Z and MDZ is developing pretty well in the NHL.

Weircioch and Turris are 2 good examples of guys who just couldn’t get strong enough to reach their full potential. This is my sole concern with JBD, if he can gain some real strength he will be an excellent top 4.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Our skating consultant is working with JBD on his pivot, other than that his skating is quite good.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If the sens can lock him up on something like 2M for 3 years that would make sense. He isn't gonna put up more than 30 pts a season but if the sens can run
Chabot
Sanderson
Brann

on the left side for three years we might enjoy a team that wont be playing in the Dzone for the majority of the game.

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is a fear I have. Dorion sort of telegraphed that this was his plan but I’m hopeful he has come to his senses. There is room for all 3.

I'm not sure about that, it's obvious how good Zub is & has been for this team defensively & IMO should be re-signed. My guess is that Brann will eventually be the odd man out given they have Chabot & soon will have Sanderson who both can distribute the puck effectively from the backend.

Thomson brings the cannon from the blueline & JBD IMO could become a McDonagh two way steady D. Kleven plays the 3rd pairing LD spot & Zub could be his partner as he has been with Holden & played so well together.

Of course, this will take a little time, Sanderson looks like he will be a stud & most likely will play right away once he gets here. Thomson looks almost NHL ready now, JBD could take another yr & we'll see how long it takes Kleven to get up to NHL speed whenever he turns pro.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Chabot Thomson
Sanderson jbd
Holden Brannstrom
Zaitsev

I have posted on this subject several times.

If the cliche "action speaks louder than words" is apropro here, I think the fact that Zub wasn't signed to a longer term could be "noteworthy" to say the least. We don't know the reason why, and we can speculate, but what we do know is that Zub didn't get a 3 or 4 year contract when it seems like that was the obvious move to make (& time to make it).

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I have posted on this subject several times.

If the cliche action speaks louder than words I think the fact that Zub wasn't signed to a longer term could be "noteworthy" to say the least. We don't know the reason why, and we can speculate, but what we do know is that Zub didn't get a 3 or 4 year contract.

Lots of variables, on the Sens side theres risk he had less than a full seasons worth of games played. For Zub contracts are likely going to be more lucrative in 2 years and he has added time to solidify his NHL brand and it gets him straight to free agency if he wants to check out other teams.

I really hope the team knows Zub is a core player, don't think theres anyone in the system that can be better defensively than him other than Sanderson. We need to get him extended long term on a fair AAV

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lots of variables, on the Sens side theres risk he had less than a full seasons worth of games played. For Zub contracts are likely going to be more lucrative in 2 years and he has added time to solidify his NHL brand and it gets him straight to free agency if he wants to check out other teams.

I really hope the team knows Zub is a core player, don't think theres anyone in the system that can be better defensively than him other than Sanderson. We need to get him extended long term on a fair AAV

Wonder if any of this Zub and Nick Paul trade talk is the GM negotiations through the media. As in, if you dont sign in Ottawa we will trade you.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wonder if any of this Zub and Nick Paul trade talk is the GM negotiations through the media. As in, if you dont sign in Ottawa we will trade you.
I dono I think they understand their options of sign here or get traded

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Zub is crucial to sign

JBD is a few years away from being a mainstay imo

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm not sure about that, it's obvious how good Zub is & has been for this team defensively & IMO should be re-signed. My guess is that Brann will eventually be the odd man out given they have Chabot & soon will have Sanderson who both can distribute the puck effectively from the backend.

Thomson brings the cannon from the blueline & JBD IMO could become a McDonagh two way steady D. Kleven plays the 3rd pairing LD spot & Zub could be his partner as he has been with Holden & played so well together.

Of course, this will take a little time, Sanderson looks like he will be a stud & most likely will play right away once he gets here. Thomson looks almost NHL ready now, JBD could take another yr & we'll see how long it takes Kleven to get up to NHL speed whenever he turns pro.
Trying to plan pairings 3 years out is tough. By the time Kleven gets here I doubt JBD/Thomson/Brannstrom are all still in the picture.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Zub is crucial to sign

JBD is a few years away from being a mainstay imo
Agree on Zub. If JBD isn’t strong enough by the start of 2023/24 then it would be time move on, as that’s 2 additional off seasons of bulking up.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Agree on Zub. If JBD isn’t strong enough by the start of 2023/24 then it would be time move on, as that’s 2 additional off seasons of bulking up.
defensemen take time its okay to let him stay in the minors

also defensemen getting injured throughout the season is common place. I think we need to build a strong top 6 who are capable of being a playoff defense and then have Thomson and JBD in the minors who can come in for injuries for next year

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
defensemen take time its okay to let him stay in the minors

also defensemen getting injured throughout the season is common place. I think we need to build a strong top 6 who are capable of being a playoff defense and then have Thomson and JBD in the minors who can come in for injuries for next year
I hope you see the irony in that sentence.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So many ignoring that Zub signed a two year deal - that’s the deal he wanted … the one that took him to UFA. He probably conceded money to have the choice to go where ever he wants at the end of next season. At the very least he now has a massive bargaining chip to play to negotiate an extension in Ottawa.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
please explain

To me JBD at best will be a Dante Fabbro type I think he will take time to make it in an impact role
I’m just pointing out that you didn’t want to keep Brannstrom in the minors to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad