Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
His compete level and ability to box players out and pinning them along the boards is very, very, very exceptional not even taking his stature into account.

He needs to force DJ’s hand on that PP1 unit while Chabot is out and continue his stretch passes up the middle.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brannstrom and Chabot can move the puck and Sanderson

No one else is really that good at it. Thomson and Zub are okay but they probably aren't going to be the go to guys for transitioning the puck
JBD can transition the puck really well, a good pass is faster than skating the puck.

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Because he’s now an NHL player. If you want to really focus on developing players without worrying about results you keep them in the AHL and put them in those positions.
he is literally our top defensemen right now. Of course he is an NHL defensemen

its crazy to think otherwise. Defensemen take time to find their footing in the NHL. He is progressing at an excellent pace and is already better than most of the guys on our defense right now

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
JBD can transition the puck really well, a good pass is faster than skating the puck.

JBD is average at transitioning the puck and won't be the first option for that. JBD is pretty average at everything which isn't bad cause he can build an NHL career around it

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
he is literally our top defensemen right now. Of course he is an NHL defensemen

its crazy to think otherwise. Defensemen take time to find their footing in the NHL. He is progressing at an excellent pace and is already better than most of the guys on our defense right now
You asked why we aren’t developing into something more. All I said was he is now an NHL player so when Chabot is back and Sanderson comes in his ice will go down. The AHL is where you push players higher in the lineup and put them in different situations because it’s a development league and winning is secondary.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
JBD is average at transitioning the puck and won't be the first option for that. JBD is pretty average at everything which isn't bad cause he can build an NHL career around it
Have you watched JBD make that first pass, it’s borderline Redden level. All he needs is strength and he will lock down a top 4 role.

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You asked why we aren’t developing into something more. All I said was he is now an NHL player so when Chabot is back and Sanderson comes in his ice will go down. The AHL is where you push players higher in the lineup and put them in different situations because it’s a development league and winning is secondary.
Brannstrom is too good for the AHL i don't think he is going to be playing there anymore

The Sens have plenty of room for Chabot, Sanderon and Brannstrom so develop. The question is can we surround them with the proper support players? Thats been missing by Dorion for a few years now

Reactions: NB613

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Have you watched JBD make that first pass, it’s borderline Redden level. All he needs is strength and he will lock down a top 4 role.
Players that pass like Redden are in the NHL by the time they are 20 and play over 1000 games in the NHL

JBD also can develop a lot more in the AHL

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

I don't mind JBD as a player but there is literally nothing he does at an exceptional level. He just does everything at a decent level.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brannstrom is too good for the AHL i don't think he is going to be playing there anymore

The Sens have plenty of room for Chabot, Sanderon and Brannstrom so develop. The question is can we surround them with the proper support players? Thats been missing by Dorion for a few years now
Yes Brannstrom is not going back to the AHL but this is where I wind up having differing opinions with some.

In my opinion the bar to call up a player to the NHL isn’t whether he’s better than a player on the NHL roster. The time to bring a player up, that player needs to have developed to the point where he is no longer going to get better playing that level of competition, I get frustrated by people saying things like Sokolov is better than our 4th line wingers so he should be brought up or if Greig is our 10th best forward out of camp he should be on the NHL team. There is no better way to stunt development than moving players up before they fully ripen.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Players that pass like Redden are in the NHL by the time they are 20 and play over 1000 games in the NHL

JBD also can develop a lot more in the AHL
That is 100% not true. There are many reasons for additional development time. In JBD’s case it’s strength. I’m slightly concerned he may not be able to get much stronger but his skills and brain are top 4 quality.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't mind JBD as a player but there is literally nothing he does at an exceptional level. He just does everything at a decent level.
He is incredibly smart on the ice, that’s an exceptional skill. Can he become strong enough is the only question.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Wade Redden was the best outlet passer in the league in his prime. Chill on the expectations. JDB is good, hes not Redden outlet pass good

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Wade Redden was the best outlet passer in the league in his prime. Chill on the expectations. JDB is good, hes not Redden outlet pass good
Hence the term borderline. Perhaps I should have said a small step below.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
He is incredibly smart on the ice, that’s an exceptional skill. Can he become strong enough is the only question.

He knows where he needs to be but I would not say he is incredibly smart, especially if it is relation to NHL players. Decent hockey sense, decent skills, and yea hopefully with added strength he can be a top 4 guy.

Incredibly smart are guys like Sanderson and Brannstrom.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He knows where he needs to be but I would not say he is incredibly smart, especially if it is relation to NHL players. Decent hockey sense, decent skills, and yea hopefully with added strength he can be a top 4 guy.

Incredibly smart are guys like Sanderson and Brannstrom.
Okay I disagree quite strongly

Reactions: aragorn

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Okay I disagree quite strongly

I haven't really seen him in the AHL but I feel like an incredibly smart player would have more than 3 points in 21 games in the AHL. Totally stat watching on this but Lassi who is a year younger has 16 points in 20 games.

JBD at the NHL level mostly seemed like a player who will make the steady and simple plays. Which is smart too, but imo the really smart players know when making the risky play is even more effective than the safe. I do not see that kind of IQ from JBD but hopefully I am wrong.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I haven't really seen him in the AHL but I feel like an incredibly smart player would have more than 3 points in 21 games in the AHL. Totally stat watching on this but Lassi who is a year younger has 16 points in 20 games.

JBD at the NHL level mostly seemed like a player who will make the steady and simple plays. Which is smart too, but the really smart players know when making the risky play is even more effective than the safe. I do not see that kind of IQ from JBD but hopefully I am wrong.
Forget about age, this is JBDs rookie season, he’s only played 39 professional games, meanwhile this is Lassi’s 3rd pro season.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Lol @ the best. Lidstrom, Neidermayer and Gonchar were leagues better than Redden was at passing. Among many other things.

Dont get me wrong, I loved Redden and he was a great #1D at his very best. But his peak offensive abilities are vastly overatted by our fanbase when you consider the teams that he played on.

In reality - its almost shocking he never had more than one 50pt season with the offensive firepower the Sens had up front.

Again he was an admirable #1D and had a beauty of an outlet pass. But he was never even close to the best at anything in the NHL - just good to great in most areas.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Brannstrom and Chabot can move the puck and Sanderson

No one else is really that good at it. Thomson and Zub are okay but they probably aren't going to be the go to guys for transitioning the puck

I think their transition game is decent - but my point is none of them are big intimidating guys that keep opponents off the goalie or hit with any sting.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lol @ the best. Lidstrom, Neidermayer and Gonchar were leagues better than Redden was at passing. Among many other things.

Dont get me wrong, I loved Redden and he was a great #1D at his very best. But his peak offensive abilities are vastly overatted by our fanbase when you consider the teams that he played on.

In reality - its almost shocking he never had more than one 50pt season with the offensive firepower the Sens had up front.

Again he was an admirable #1D and had a beauty of an outlet pass. But he was never even close to the best at anything in the NHL - just good to great in most areas.

50 point Dman in the clutch and grab era is a 70 point Dman now. Erik Karlsson couldn’t of played in Reddens NHL with Shayne Corson getting a piggy back over the blue line

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
All this talk about jbd and Thomson, their readiness and potential roles

Has anyone given much thought to Zub being the odd man out?

Chabot Thomson
Sanderson jbd
Holden Brannstrom
Zaitsev

I will not be surprised if it plays out this way and I think it is contingent on how jbd turns out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad