Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Branny gets a lot of collateral shrapnel from the Anti Dorion crew … similar to Lassi, Pinto, and every player in the EK deal etc.

It takes all these guys an extended period on TV where their play is so good or a killer stat line to turn the narrative.

We’re seeing the narrative turn and Brann is basically the same age as every other prospect who’s stepped forward beyond our elite top 5 selections.

That, but the ‘turnaround’ is still all in spite of management and coaching. Branstrom is going it alone!!!!!

A true Hero!

Reactions: GCK

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
NHL vs AHL games played from our top current prospects/players starting with the first season after their u20 season until they became full time NHL players.
NHL AHL
BATH 43 103 (29% NHL GAMES)
BRANN 70 41 (63%% NHL GAMES)
NORRIS 3 56 (5% NHL GAMES)
FORM 20 74 (21% NHL GAMES)

Which players were developed in the wrong league ?

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
NHL vs AHL games played from our top current prospects/players starting with first season after their u20 season until they became full NHL players.
NHL AHL
BATH 43 103 (29% NHL GAMES)
BRANN 70 41 (63%% NHL GAMES)
NORRIS 3 56 (5% NHL GAMES)
FORM 20 74 (21% NHL GAMES)

Which players was developed in the wrong league ?
this is pretty misleading

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Oh. thanks.
doesn't take into account time missed from injuries or the roster situation in the NHL. Also for whatever reason you aren't considering the AHL time he played as a 19 year old.

Brannstrom is easily on our defense and should have been on it since camp. Our record is probably a lot better with Brannstrom on that defense. I think most people were okay with how Bran ended the season last year as one of our best D. The coaching staff is always a step behind

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
doesn't take into account time missed from injuries or the roster situation in the NHL. Also for whatever reason you aren't considering the AHL time he played as a 19 year old.

Brannstrom is easily on our defense and should have been on it since camp. Our record is probably a lot better with Brannstrom on that defense. I think most people were okay with how Bran ended the season last year as one of our best D. The coaching staff is always a step behind

No, sorry. It was very obvious last season that he was getting plastered against the boards, and he was coughing up the puck in the defensive end.

He was getting out muscles along the boards and in front of the net. Some people watched him in the offensive zone, and in transition, and assumed that he was ready to be an NHL defender; they were wrong.

He needed to learn how to play defence to go along with his good offensive skills. He needed to learn how to use his feet, move the puck faster, and basically play like a 5’9” NHL defender has to play to be effective at keeping pucks out of the net.

He has done so by using his development time in the AHL and is now ready to play in the NHL.

Time to move on to something else to gripe about no?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think Troy explained things pretty well in one of his last weekly interviews.

The NHL teams don’t practice a lot, and especially in these condensed seasons, hardly at all. He was saying that if you miss working on an offensive play one week due to games or COVID, etc…. That it could be weeks before you go through it again.

In contrast the AHL teams have a pretty set schedule and as a development league they practice three times a week I believe he said. Guys down in Belleville get a lot of time to work on individual areas of their game that need work, along with team systems and skills. Stuff that the NHL team does only in training came, like power skating and such, the AHL team gets to do through out the year as well.

If a player needs development time, especially in an area as fundamental as defending, the AHL is the place to do it because you have so much more time to practice, and you have a coaching staff and development staff that are there to help along the way.

The NHL is not a development league, it is not a place where a rookie defenceman learns how to play defence. It’s not where a small rookie defender learns how to avoid contact, and it’s not where a rookie defender learns to play his strong side.

It’s where said rookie goes once he has solidified the fundamentals of his game, those that allow him to be an effective defender. Once he is an effective defender he can have the confidence to flex offensively, while also earning the confidence of the coaching staff who fundamentally need their defenders to be able to keep pucks out of the net first and foremost.

EB is an excellent example of how proper development and patience can turn a small offensively creative defenceman with weak defensive play, into a steady defender who can make smart, quick D zone plays, transition the puck out, and be a force in the o zone.

Coaching staff and development boys and girls deserve a lot of credit here. Heck Bran is finally comfortable playing his strong side, and can still switch to the other side in the O zone and PP to be more effective. It’s a win!

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Looks to me like Brannstrom has been developing while in the AHL instead of being on the roster. Everyone is well aware he was going to start this season in Belleville being waived eligible.

He’s only played 13 AHL games the last 2 years, no idea why you are getting so upset.

Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He’s only played 13 AHL games the last 2 years, no idea why you are getting so upset.

It’s ridiculous … Norris was drafted in the same year as Brann … and has played more games in Belleville than Brann.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He looks really good

don’t see how the sens can trade this guy

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Watching Evan Bouchard be the first option out there for Edmonton's PP over their $9.25M #1 D gives me hope that someday Brannstrom will assume that role for Ottawa.

Nothing against Chabot, he's a decent power play guy, but Brannstrom was made for it. Was kinda hoping they would roll both Brannstrom and Chabot on the first unit with Batherson and Norris out instead of seeing somebody like Sanford out there.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He looked rough but then in the third period he seemed to just lock it down. Playing very simple. Intercepting passes

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
Man our 2nd goal tn was perfectly executed by brannstrom. DJ has to start giving this guy some looks on the top PP afteer that

Reactions: NB613

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think this is first game I have seen where Brannstrom was notably better defensively than offensively and yet effective in both. He made several stick checks that were excellent and a couple on McDavid and Drai. He replaced Thomson and looked real good there.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He looks really good

don’t see how the sens can trade this guy
He does look good. I think we should wait until next offseason and see where all our young D are at and make moves then if required.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think this is first game I have seen where Brannstrom was notably better defensively than offensively and yet effective in both. He made several stick checks that were excellent and a couple on McDavid and Drai. He replaced Thomson and looked real good there.
He looked really good but when he and Chabot are paired together it’s terrifying.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He looked really good but when he and Chabot are paired together it’s terrifying.

In a bad way? Not at all..

I don't understand the rep Chabot gets around here. The guy is real good defensively. He just plays so much he cannot exert as much effort cause he's required more for transition and puck possession; so he looks a bitttt passive....but it's magnified cause of his ice-time.

Chabot saved a goal tonight against I think RNH.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brann being able to play both RD and LD is such a huge bonus for the team and his ice time. Can play PP.

Sens fans “What side should Brann play on”
Brann “I do it all”
Sens fans “Brannstrom does it all”

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
In a bad way? Not at all..

I don't understand the rep Chabot gets around here. The guy is real good defensively. He just plays so much he cannot exert as much effort cause he's required more for transition and puck possession; so he looks a bitttt passive....but it's magnified cause of his ice-time.

Chabot saved a goal tonight against I think RNH.
I’m not blaming Chabot or Brannstrom individually, however their styles would hinder each other IMO. I’d prefer a solid partner for each. Ideally with the current group in the system I’d like to see next years starting top 6 like this

Chabot Zaitsev
Sanderson Zub
Brannstrom Holden

This is purely from best pairing perspective and not ice time distribution. I think we all know Zaitsev will be in the top 6 no matter how much we wish it weren’t so. We need to ensure Brannstrom and Sanderson have solid partners while letting Chabot carry La femme Nikita.

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Good decision making . Very comfortable with the puck. Shows patience.
Big improvements have been defensively and in moving the puck quicker on breakouts.

Again he was good to very good last game.
He is better all around this year, would like to see more offense but lack of offensive talent from the forwards doesn't help this point.
Also his shot is often wide to the net this year, could practice on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad