Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Brannstrom has to be cautious about what he says as DJ has said certain things and Bran would not want to contradict DJ as it could affect his ice time and career.

I don't think there's anything controversial there.

Today, most PPs use a 4-1 split. For decades they used a 3-2 and once established in the o zone, the D switched sides. I think pretty much all offensive D would prefer being on their off side in the o zone

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think there's anything controversial there.

Today, most PPs use a 4-1 split. For decades they used a 3-2 and once established in the o zone, the D switched sides. I think pretty much all offensive D would prefer being on their off side in the o zone

Exactly. He is echoing what Dorion and DJ have said and not saying anything controversial or at odds with his coaching.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Best to assume he’s not saying what he actually believes in the this very dangerous time in his very dangerous job.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’d like to see DJ go back to 2D with Chabot and Brann on PP1 Monday with all the injuries.

Chabot Brann
Brady Stutzle ???

Lassi can have PP2.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's played less than 50 games in Belleville. He was brought along more quickly than any player in our organization besides Tkachuk & Stutzle.
Chabot? Probably Pinto had he not gotten injured?

Edit: I don't mind how quickly were bringing him along in a general sense, though imo we've kept him down behind players he's been better than,

Reactions: Cosmix

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Here's a quote from Dorion in that article

Dorion said. "We both think playing on the left side will be more beneficial for his development, to be the best NHL player he can be. I think once you establish yourself you can go to your weaker side."

Using both, he was referring to himself and DJ. Thing is, that particular thought is almost universally accepted across the hockey world.

It's hard to play on your off side on D. It's not the same as doing it as an F. And Brannstrom being smaller is even less suited for it.

I agree, versatility is a plus.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Edit: I don't mind how quickly were bringing him along in a general sense, though imo we've kept him down behind players he's been better than,

I think when it comes to developing a player, you cater that development to what the kid needs to work on and improve on, not which place holders are playing on the NHL roster keeping his spot warm. He may have been a better player at times than some of the guys, but he wasn’t a good defensive player, and he didn’t know how to play to his strengths in the NHL. It’s far more important to work on his game than it is to replace Gudbranson on the NHL roster during a development year even if he was potentially better.

He was sent down with a list of things to work on, and by all accounts he worked on them, and is now back up on the NHL roster with a pocket full of praise from both coaching staffs.

Be the change! ;)

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Chabot was brought up before we rebuilt so I didn't count him. Pinto would count, though, you're right.

I also don't disagree with your edit at all, but I am sure the same could be said about Batherson, Norris and Formenton, too.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It can be true that “right now” he’s more comfortable on the left while he had previously been more comfortable on the right as he said in this interview:

Senators believe left is right for prospect Erik Brannstrom - Sportsnet.ca
He still likes the right side offensively as he said in the tweets quote, now that he is learning to play in his own zone he’s more comfortable on his strong side. When I said I didn’t like him on his offside last year it was in relation to defending wide and being forced to try and clear on his back hand. I think SOA was one of the few who agreed with me, nice to Brannstrom agrees now as well.

Reactions: Bileur

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brannstrom has to be cautious about what he says as DJ and Dorion have said certain things about him and Bran would not want to contradict DJ and Dorion as it could affect his ice time and career.
Of course, easier to break out the tin foil and make a hat rather than take the kids comment at face value.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why do so many fans want a kid to play limited minutes in the NHL rather than big minutes in the AHL. Everyone clamours about not rushing prospects and using the old Detroit model and then bitches when they aren’t rushed. If Greig is our 10th best forward in camp next year he should play in the AHL. Putting a kid in the league before he’s really begun developing just because he’s better than 1 or 2 roster players is dumb and shortsighted.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Dont get me wrong - Im loving seeing Lassi Thomson break our and turn into the 1st rounder we need him to be.

But its really funny how perception is everything with these kids sometimes. Would anyone be ready to call Lassi a near bust and say that next season is his last shot at making the big team before we need to part ways?

How many folks are ready to give up on JBD, or in serious doubt of him now?

Brannstrom is literally just 1 calendar year older than Thompson in reality. A player drafted 2 years later than he was. And JBD is is in the middle of them.

And now look at us - Branny looks like a star in the making, and hes still just 22yrs old until the start of next season. Point being - I really dont think Branny had an abnormally long or slow journey to get to where he is today... And there were some really, really bad takes here and on the radio about him, imo.

Reactions: NB613

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why do so many fans want a kid to play limited minutes in the NHL rather than big minutes in the AHL. Everyone clamours about not rushing prospects and using the old Detroit model and then bitches when they aren’t rushed. If Greig is our 10th best forward in camp next year he should play in the AHL. Putting a kid in the league before he’s really begun developing just because he’s better than 1 or 2 roster players is dumb and shortsighted.
Why should our top 3 defensemen get limited mins in the nhl ?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Why should our top 3 defensemen get limited mins in the nhl ?

Mistakes were made this season. Seems like the coaching staff learned from it by throwing Thompson right in there and getting similar results.

Branny won them over now is all that matters. Hes young and this is a nothing season for us regardless, so why change anything much when we know that the end result is todays version of Branny - a stud 22yr old top 4 that can play with Chabot on the top pairing.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I wonder if Brannstrom would generate as many keystrokes if he wasn't traded for Stone?

I think they had a pretty good look at him in 19-20 when he played 30 games. The tail end of that season was the start of COVID.

Since then, things have been pretty f***ed up. Prior to last year, isolating twice meant he wasn't ready to play at the season's start. It actually meant he didn't do much of anything for almost a month.

This year you've got a broken hand and COVID protocols again

There's been nothing normal about his path. There isn't some big conspiracy to suppress him. He's a smaller player that played primarily off wing D and had some learning to do.

On this board we've been thru two years of wolanin>brannstrom, mete>brannstrom, dj wasn't good enough so he dislikes guys that are, strong side weak side ... It's ridiculous... he's a smaller player that's been thru a messed up path because of a pandemic and at 22 is starting to look ready.

As someone pointed out last week about Ottawa radio, I think we've also got a Dorion's an idiot view held by many that post here so to support that view, you just keep pushing anti Brannstrom narrative

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I wonder if Brannstrom would generate as many keystrokes if he wasn't traded for Stone?

I think they had a pretty good look at him in 19-20 when he played 30 games. The tail end of that season was the start of COVID.

Since then, things have been pretty f***ed up. Prior to last year, isolating twice meant he wasn't ready to play at the season's start. It actually meant he didn't do much of anything for almost a month.

This year you've got a broken hand and COVID protocols again

There's been nothing normal about his path. There isn't some big conspiracy to suppress him. He's a smaller player that played primarily off wing D and had some learning to do.

On this board we've been thru two years of wolanin>brannstrom, mete>brannstrom, dj wasn't good enough so he dislikes guys that are, strong side weak side ... It's ridiculous... he's a smaller player that's been thru a messed up path because of a pandemic and at 22 is starting to look ready.

As someone pointed out last week about Ottawa radio, I think we've also got a Dorion's an idiot view held by many that post here so to support that view, you just keep pushing anti Brannstrom narrative

Branny gets a lot of collateral shrapnel from the Anti Dorion crew … similar to Lassi, Pinto, and every player in the EK deal etc.

It takes all these guys an extended period on TV where their play is so good or a killer stat line to turn the narrative.

We’re seeing the narrative turn and Brann is basically the same age as every other prospect who’s stepped forward beyond our elite top 5 selections.

Reactions: JD1

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He still likes the right side offensively as he said in the tweets quote, now that he is learning to play in his own zone he’s more comfortable on his strong side. When I said I didn’t like him on his offside last year it was in relation to defending wide and being forced to try and clear on his back hand. I think SOA was one of the few who agreed with me, nice to Brannstrom agrees now as well.
In a recent video interview that I just saw, he says he prefers playing on the left side. That's confusing, because the idea that he preferred to play on the right side seemed be floating around for awhile. Brann also stated that its good to learn to play on both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad