Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He'll be leaning bust if he plays the majority in the AHL. If he has a strong split in the NHL 40+ games, then he's right on track. The season after that he takes on full role with 82 + games as a fully matured defender in what should be our contention year. He's 24 by then and upwards and onwards we go.

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Thomson
XXXX-JBD

Deep, deep. Maybe JBD is with Chabot at that point.

So your saying in his D+7 year that our first round D selection finally makes it to the NHL full time and is a bottom pair guy, and that is "on track"

Well, let's just say that we see it differently and leave it at that.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I can see why Brannstrom would be the guy that would get moved to fill another hole.

What they really need to do to free salary is focus on Zaitsev & White. But those players won't be easy to move (or cost could be unappealing), or EM may not wish to eat that much money.

Its a process of elimination that leads me to the potential conclusion that Brann becomes the trade bait they dangle to fill another need.

Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I can see why Brannstrom would be the guy that would get moved to fill another hole.

What they really need to do to free salary is focus on Zaitsev & White. But those players won't be easy to move (or cost could be unappealing), or EM may not wish to eat that much money.

Its a process of elimination that leads me to the potential conclusion that Brann becomes the trade bait they dangle to fill another need.

Branns skill set is replaceable on the current roster as a PP2 dman . I like the kid but it makes sense to move him if he isn’t going to play PP1.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He'll be leaning bust if he plays the majority in the AHL. If he has a strong split in the NHL 40+ games, then he's right on track. The season after that he takes on full role with 82 + games as a fully matured defender in what should be our contention year. He's 24 by then and upwards and onwards we go.

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Thomson
XXXX-JBD

Deep, deep. Maybe JBD is with Chabot at that point.
I can’t fathom calling a player a bust if he isn’t a full time player before he finishes 2 pro seasons. I’m not even remotely worried unless he isn’t in the lineup to start 2023/24.

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So your saying in his D+7 year that our first round D selection finally makes it to the NHL full time and is a bottom pair guy, and that is "on track"

Your years are off. JBD is in his D+4 year.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Our bread and butter will be our defense, imo. If we sign Zub, we will have a top 3 D in the league in 3 years time. JBD on bottom pair will be of immense strength. Furthermore, I also said he could be top pair with Chabot, meaning that he will have the capability of an impact top 4 capable defender.

Additionally, I said AT LEAST 1 year. This does not exclude him from being full timer 2 years from now. I do not see him being full timer next year, nor should he be. That means if he splits or plays 40+ 2 years from now, he's doing well.

Pelech is a great comparable. IDC if he was a 3rd round pick, it's a great comparable for JBD and he was never a bust. There's many more defenders who have become impact defenders D+7 and further.

Hoffman became full-time impact forward at D+6 and he was late birthday.

Mark Stone became impact forward at D+5.

Dzingel D+6.

Yes, I know you said 1st rounders, but 1st rounder + whatever, as long as they become impact eventually, not a bust. It was very clear to me JBD was a project.

Your years are off. JBD is in his D+4 year.

He means by my trajectory he'll be full timer in D+7.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
20220224-110206.jpg

The irony of the whole narrative that DJ Smith does not like Brannstrom because he is small is that when interviewed last year by Dean Brown, Smith was asked who his favourite NHL player is, and his answer?

Defenseman Ryan Ellis.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brannstrom getting scratched lmfao. The guy just played 27 minutes and played them wel
Is it confirmed? I can see it after his poor game against Minny but realistically, even at his worst he’s better than Mete.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Missing one game isn't a big deal. DJ's great at sending messages...Mete's former team and has to play a bit... maybe they will take him back. Like it or not this team isn't playing without a Brown body on the back end.

Blacephalon

Oct 12, 2018
Missing one game isn't a big deal. DJ's great at sending messages...Mete's former team and has to play a bit... maybe they will take him back. Like it or not this team isn't playing without a Brown body on the back end.
Why does DJ never send a message to Zaitsev when he plays awful game after game?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why does DJ never send a message to Zaitsev when he plays awful game after game?

He missed a bunch and he isn't a kid learning to play in the NHL. At this point I think its fair to say the Sens are shopping Z.

DJ was able to shine up Reilly enough for a trade. Fingers crossed.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

Then, sit Zaitsev or J. Brown. It is that simple

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
why does Brannstrom need a msg sent to him? He has been better than half the defense on this team

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Then, sit Zaitsev or J. Brown. It is that simple

DJ isn't sitting Brown until he gets some bigger/stronger bodies on the back end. This future DCORE will not run with 6D like Chabot,Sanderson, Zub, Brann, Lassi, JBD. It won't happen.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t think Branstrom needs online fanboy defenders. He’s a big boy, and it’s cringy. If he’s a healthy scratch it’s for a reason, no need for anyone to embarrass themselves as though there has been some sort of great wrong doing.

We really do have too much time on our hands these days, which is a good thing :)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He missed a bunch and he isn't a kid learning to play in the NHL. At this point I think its fair to say the Sens are shopping Z.

DJ was able to shine up Reilly enough for a trade. Fingers crossed.
Reilly started playing well. zaitsev yet to hit that level

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I really hope Branny doesn't end up being the odd man out against the Habs. Mete, Zaitsev and JBrown don't have his hockey IQ and Brannstrom has played better then both of them. He should be a permanent fixture on our dcore.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Our bread and butter will be our defense, imo. If we sign Zub, we will have a top 3 D in the league in 3 years time. JBD on bottom pair will be of immense strength. Furthermore, I also said he could be top pair with Chabot, meaning that he will have the capability of an impact top 4 capable defender.

Additionally, I said AT LEAST 1 year. This does not exclude him from being full timer 2 years from now. I do not see him being full timer next year, nor should he be. That means if he splits or plays 40+ 2 years from now, he's doing well.

Pelech is a great comparable. IDC if he was a 3rd round pick, it's a great comparable for JBD and he was never a bust. There's many more defenders who have become impact defenders D+7 and further.

Hoffman became full-time impact forward at D+6 and he was late birthday.

Mark Stone became impact forward at D+5.

Dzingel D+6.

Yes, I know you said 1st rounders, but 1st rounder + whatever, as long as they become impact eventually, not a bust. It was very clear to me JBD was a project.

He means by my trajectory he'll be full timer in D+7.
I know you said at least which typically means more than.

D+7 for full time. Sorry. I see it differently.

A 3rd or 4th round D that has further to climb. Ok. That's not unusual.

1st round D. No, I don't think you can really find examples of that. Not of guys that took 7 years to establish themselves and became quality NHL players. It certainly not normal

You know a few 1st round D in their D+7 years? Chabot, Werenski, Hanafin, Provorov.

There are already 8 1st round D from JBD's draft that are established NHL players.

But we can agree to disagree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad