Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He has had more than 1 contract so this doesn't make sense.

Not that it does anyway, just pointing out a clear flaw.

He is playing well due to maturation and opportunity. Total waste and awful asset managememt to give up on him now.

Reactions: Cosmix and Emrasie

Senovision

May 23, 2011
This is his last season under his current contract according to capfriendly. So it is a contract year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brannstrom's value increasing within the Org and around the league is a good problem for the Sens to have.
UFA year is 2027.. so lots of team control. Arbitration eligible; could be in line for a good pay bump.
Adds quality depth that has shown he can play in all situations.

A couple more years at a digestible price would be good.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Really happy for him, and for the team. We really needed him to turn a corner and he has. He has developed and is continuing to develop like most of our young guys.

This is another nice story.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
I’m a Brannfan.

Quality bottom pairing d man who can fill in as needed higher in the lineup. Why would anyone want to move on from that kind of depth?

Every time he’s given an opportunity he’s made the most of it. He’s great on the pk, good with puck transition, and his point totals are lower than what his on ice play warrants imo. He’s done nothing but improve and develop.

Keep him around as affordable depth until he prices himself out with excellent play; he’ll definitely continue getting opportunities due to injuries.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Trade talk is way too premature. Team doesn't have a plethora of defenders knocking at the door. JBD and Thomson haven't brought their game to the next level. Kleven is still raw and hasn't played a professional game. If contract negations aren't going anywhere maybe you explore that option but right now he should be a short term option to fill out the bottom pair.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Trade talk is way too premature. Team doesn't have a plethora of defenders knocking at the door. JBD and Thomson haven't brought their game to the next level. Kleven is still raw and hasn't played a professional game. If contract negations aren't going anywhere maybe you explore that option but right now he should be a short term option to fill out the bottom pair.
JBD and Thomson either need to be with the club or risk being waiver pickups, one or both may end up as our 7/8 d next year, Kleven is a wild card though, I wouldn't be trading anyone to make room for him but the way the org is talking about him he's going to push for a spot next year at training camp.

If we re-sign Hamonic,

Chabot-Hamonic
Sanderson-Zub
Chychrun-Brannstrom?

JBD, Thomson, Kleven

I think we should absolutely re-sign him, but it's not outlandish imo to consider offers and then find a stopgap till Kleven is ready if that's the long term plan,

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The reality is that some first round picks don't pan out, and it may well be that we lose one, of both, of JBD and Thomson on waivers eventually. It's the hockey Circle of Life. This Spring, some prospects like Mandolese are also not going to be qualified by the club to make room for others.

On Brannstrom, we should absolutely be signing him to a cheap two year deal. One of the hardest things to do is to find guys who can actually play in this league every night. He's now proven he can do that, and will be a great option on the third pairing. Because his offensive production is low, he won't cost much either. Trading him at this point would be incredibly dumb - the good teams build depth, they don't give it away...

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
JBD and Thomson either need to be with the club or risk being waiver pickups, one or both may end up as our 7/8 d next year, Kleven is a wild card though, I wouldn't be trading anyone to make room for him but the way the org is talking about him he's going to push for a spot next year at training camp.

If we re-sign Hamonic,

Chabot-Hamonic
Sanderson-Zub
Chychrun-Brannstrom?

JBD, Thomson, Kleven

I think we should absolutely re-sign him, but it's not outlandish imo to consider offers and then find a stopgap till Kleven is ready if that's the long term plan,

I pray we don't trade Brannstrom in the hopes that one of Kleven, JBD or Thomson "takes the next step" and can be a full time player for us.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

If we re-sign Hamonic,

Chabot-Hamonic
Sanderson-Zub
Chychrun-Brannstrom?

JBD, Thomson, Kleven

Certainly need to be aware of waiver eligibility and if you can get value in the off season for either Thomson or JBD I think you take it. I personally am not optimistic Kleven will be on the opening day roster next season, even with a strong camp I think it's best he gets minutes in Belleville but the team will get a good look at him to close out the year. I wouldn't be opposed to having Kleven, JBD and Thomson battling for that 7th spot in camp next year.

As of this moment I would have Kleven start in Belleville, risk Thomson on waivers and have JBD as the 7th D. I would be comfortable expecting two of those players to be on the roster. JBD is also a RFA this offseason, I'm interested to see if he gets a one-way or two-way deal.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Unless we get a very appealing offer based on a team seeing his projected value we would be selling low on him now.

We need to keep him playing consistently and grow that confidence. He can have a big offseason and come into camp next year with a clear hold on 3rd pair. If his offensive numbers continue to improve then we can decide to keep him or at least have his trade value go up.

Certainly need to be aware of waiver eligibility and if you can get value in the off season for either Thomson or JBD I think you take it. I personally am not optimistic Kleven will be on the opening day roster next season, even with a strong camp I think it's best he gets minutes in Belleville but the team will get a good look at him to close out the year. I wouldn't be opposed to having Kleven, JBD and Thomson battling for that 7th spot in camp next year.

As of this moment I would have Kleven start in Belleville, risk Thomson on waivers and have JBD as the 7th D. I would be comfortable expecting two of those players to be on the roster. JBD is also a RFA this offseason, I'm interested to see if he gets a one-way or two-way deal.
The thing is every team has lots of guys in the minors that clear waivers, particularly at the beginning of the season.

None of our D in the AHL have stood out to a degree that other NHL teams would claim them and be forced to have them on their opening roster.

I don't think it's a consideration until later on next season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Branny has received public praise from both the GM and the coach recently, I don’t think we need to worry that he’s not in the plans going forward.

Reactions: NB613

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The thing is every team has lots of guys in the minors that clear waivers, particularly at the beginning of the season.

None of our D in the AHL have stood out to a degree that other NHL teams would claim them and be forced to have them on their opening roster.

I don't think it's a consideration until later on next season.

Oh I agree. Most teams have similar prospects that they are trying to get a look at, I don’t think it’s a worry and always important to have that depth in the AHL.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Where was this Brannstrom for the first 179 games in his career? 3 goals in 179 games. Then 2 goals in his last 3 games. Oh yeah contract time.
He's 23 year old d-man with less than 200 NHL games in his career and has been playing great all year. This guy was hyped as a prospect for a reason. Why is it a surprise that he's playing better now?

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Didn't he have a really strong 15-20 games to end the year last year too? Anyway, the good news is he's an asset that can be re-signed or potentially traded to address a roster weakness, which bodes well for the team.
Maybe because, like this year he was given opportunities to demonstrate his talent and qualities when players were injured.
For exemple i don't say the team scored 3/4 pp because he was in it but it's really stupid to wait this time of year to try him on pp.

Reactions: Bileur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad