Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
The main reason Brannstrom should be extended is not to cement the bottom pairing now but to cement the top 4 well into our competitive window.

We are just scratching the surface with him and Chychrun is only signed through '25 and Chabot's trajectory is a bit of a wild card.

5 year 12.5 million might be a crunch now but will be a god send down the road when we are the juggernaut we expect to be and he is in his prime.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The main reason Brannstrom should be extended is not to cement the bottom pairing now but to cement the top 4 well into our competitive window.

We are just scratching the surface with him and Chychrun is only signed through '25 and Chabot's trajectory is a bit of a wild card.

5 year 12.5 million might be a crunch now but will be a god send down the road when we are the juggernaut we expect to be and he is in his prime.
The main reason to extend Brannstrom is because he's proving to be a pretty good hockey player

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
At the beginning of the previous season, I thought Brannstrom was a young defender just learning the game at the NHL level. I wasn't sure of his potential.

Then towards the end of the last season, when his role was elevated due to injuries, he stepped up nicely and performed well. In the preseason, we saw some flashes of skill. He can carry puck out of our zone into the O-zone with some flash, skill & deftness. I think we'll see more of that as he gains confidence.

But, there was still a little group-think mentality I think and some residual negativity. I'm glad opinions are starting to turn around for some now. His salary will remain pretty low, and at worst, I think he's a decent/good bottom pairing defender that can step when called upon (i.e., injuries). He can PK and play of the PP.

All in all, that's not bad. I think we have the pieces now as far as our blueline is concerned. The objective now is to find out what the pairings are and which player plays best with whichever partner. We are going to need 8 NHL capable defensemen to get through a season. Kleven will be interesting to see as well, in terms of his development and where he'll fill in. He's kind of that ingredient we don't have. Interesting times and future to be sure.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
The main reason to extend Brannstrom is because he's proving to be a pretty good hockey player
Yes, thanks for the brevity. But if you'll allow me to elaborate for you it's because he is a good longterm contingency plan for our top 4. Most people are currently discussing him in a bottom pairing role and that's fine but it's a shortsighted way to look at Brannstrom's value to the team.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yes, thanks for the brevity. But if you'll allow me to elaborate for you it's because he is a good longterm contingency plan for our top 4. Most people are currently discussing him in a bottom pairing role and that's fine but it's a shortsighted way to look at Brannstrom's value to the team.
100% agree 👍

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Is Brannstrom playing himself out of Ottawa. Could be a Sandin situation

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Could be but It would be hard to find someone that can come in and provide the depth he can right now.,. Anybody in that top 4 goes down and he can fill in better than most .. especially at under 2 AAV.
I think you missed what I was saying, has Brannstrom played well enough to price himself out of what Ottawa can afford.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think you missed what I was saying, has Brannstrom played well enough to price himself out of what Ottawa can afford.
How much do you really think he can command? I guess he could try and sign an offer sheet, it's only a 2nd Rd pick up to about 4 mil.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think so .. he's arb eligible right? Hard to say how that would go given his stats .. His play is vastly improved don't get me wrong.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think so .. he's arb eligible right? Hard to say how that would go given his stats .. His play is vastly improved don't get me wrong.
Good point, we probably take him to arbitration rather than let an offer sheet come.

They can use adv stats in arb now, that probably helps his case.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good point, we probably take him to arbitration rather than let an offer sheet come.

They can use adv stats in arb now, that probably helps his case.
true .. They have him under control for 4 years until UFA . So we are likely looking at a bridge up to 3 years. Its possible he prices himself out.. I was hoping somewhere around 2 m thats probably low.

Reactions: NB613

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Brannstrom is playing as well as Liljegren has for Toronto. A two year $1.4 million aav is fair for both sides imo. If we want a longer term deal that's in the $2-2.75 million range sure, but I don't think he's priced himself anywhere. I wish Brann had more ice time since Chabot appeared to decline/stagnate this year, but we need to see Brannstrom actually perform before paying him anything more than $2.75 million

Reactions: Bileur and NB613

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
You gotta think Brann wants contract that will walk him to UFA, he's had an up and down relationship with the team and I doubt he will want to negotiate another contact after this one.
Hes repped by Craig Oster so this is going to be a tough negotiation, so tough I think they trade him before it gets to that.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You gotta think Brann wants contract that will walk him to UFA, he's had an up and down relationship with the team and I doubt he will want to negotiate another contact after this one.
Hes repped by Craig Oster so this is going to be a tough negotiation, so tough I think they trade him before it gets to that.
We’ve already had the king of Oster negotiations, and him and PD came out friendly, I wouldn’t worry about that angle.

Also, I’m not sure there is an up and down relationship with the team have you heard anything about it? Branstrom has played almost every game he’s been up for, and took a while to develop into an everyday player. I’m not sure why he would be pissed at the team for taking things slow with him.

He’ll likely sign a bridge since that’s all we have room for right now regardless, and then he has time to work for his first big deal.

Reactions: NB613 and bicboi64

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The type of dman you need to keep, and seems to be only getting better with experience.

Fsv2dN3aUAIxzKy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It is interesting. But I don’t think anything warrants asking north of 2 or 2.5

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I've always like Brannstrom and have been cheering for him since he came over. Admittedly, I eventually became concerned about him and having a role on this team. However, once I was able to separate him from the hype and the fact that he came over as the main piece in the Stone trade it became a lot easier to be patient with his performance and growth.

Since then I been very happy to see him progress as he has and I really do hope we can find a way to keep him. I do think he has a bright future. Maybe not bonafide elite 1-2 dman, but definitely as an established solid top 4 guy.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Brannstrom has outplayed his cap hit every year and this year they played Hamonic on the powerplay ahead of him.

it would be natural for him to be thinking about greener grass.
You know, since you're posting on the internet, you could use the very same utility to find the information you're claiming and realize you're wrong before you post it to a public forum.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Loving Branny’s play this year, only thing that sucks is how stacked our defense has become lol. He deserves more ice time, but does he deserve to play above Chab/Chych/Sandy/Zub? Zub maybe.

Got to figure he requests a trade to maximize his value soon. He ain’t gonna get much powerplay time here with a healthy blueline

Reactions: NB613

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
You know, since you're posting on the internet, you could use the very same utility to find the information you're claiming and realize you're wrong before you post it to a public forum.

What are you talking about? they literally were playing Hamonic on the powerplay ahead of Brannstrom.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
true .. They have him under control for 4 years until UFA . So we are likely looking at a bridge up to 3 years. Its possible he prices himself out.. I was hoping somewhere around 2 m thats probably low.
That seems so crazy! Is he a different case than other contracts for some reason? It feels he has played pro for many seasons, how is he still 4 years away from UFA?

As for his game, it continues to get better and as a long time Branny supporter I am encouraged to see the significant steps he has taken this season although he did get absolutely rocked at mid ice on an awkward hit and then blown up behind the Sens net in the 3rd. Bounced back with apparently no lingering effects though.

I want him on the team but at minimum his play has to be getting attention from some GM's and overall that is a big positive compared to what many expected even last year.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
DJ put Hamonic on PP1 at the end of one game, where Hamonic was having a good game and the team otherwise had a bunch of D injuries pop up, as a reward for Hamonic's play that particular night. Brannstrom has otherwise been receiving much more PP time than Hamonic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad