Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
What is his trajectory? A guy like brannstrom, I THINK his trajectory would be evaluated differently across 32 teams. Especially if some teams have been scouting our last 15 games where he’s simply been great.

But saying that. Like another poster said maybe we can’t afford 2-2.5?

The way this team is structured. Branny and kleven will need to essentially accept bottom pair roles to stick around. If they think they can be top 4s and get paid as such….they’re going to want opportunity elsewhere.

I think 3 years is ideal. At 2 million. Because in two years we will resign chychrun and likely trade Branny at the start of that 3rd year.
I think a 3 year deal with a $2million aav should be max. As good as Branny is developing, he isn't producing enough to warrant anything more than some of his contemporaries (Liljegren, Sandin, Valimaki, Bear, etc...). $2 million would be the higher end of what I think he should get, but if it locks in a 3rd year, I'm fine with it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Three of those players all got hurt for a significatn amount of time this year. Only 1 plays RD. Its ok to have depth. Brannstrom is also going to come in at a bottom pair price tag. This concept that they dont have room for him makes no sense. Colorado plays Girard on their third pairing sometimes.

He has no leverage.
I could see him getting close to 2M in arbitration.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The sens have team control he has no leverage. He can't just say 'c ya'
Then maybe he signs and is sorta demanding a trade throughout the year.

It’s gonna definitely take some humility from guys like him and kleven

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
What are you talking about? they literally were playing Hamonic on the powerplay ahead of Brannstrom.
Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 7.28.33 PM.png

8-1 advantage in PPTOI and you're arguing he plays on the PP ahead of Brannstrom? Are you well mate?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Then maybe he signs and is sorta demanding a trade throughout the year.

It’s gonna definitely take some humility from guys like him and kleven
Do you think a team will want to trade for a bottom pairing D man demanding a trade? He just hurts his value.

I could see him getting close to 2M in arbitration.
With what Gryzleck made coming off his ELC? He got a two year deal for 1.4. But maybe im being optomistic.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Do you think a team will want to trade for a bottom pairing D man demanding a trade? He just hurts his value.

With what Gryzleck made coming off his ELC? He got a two year deal for 1.4. But maybe im being optomistic.
A team that thinks he’s more than that and just not getting the opportunity yeah

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Because earlier on in the season they were putting Hamonic on the powerplay ahead Brannstrom.

It happened.
With only 6 mins in 75 games, and only two games where he has over 30 secs on the PP, one of which Brannstrom wasn't dressed for and the other where Brannstrom had 4 times as much PP toi, it looks like Hamonic would have been mostly used as the reg 5v5 pair that gets the final dozen secs so that you aren't caught with only 1 Dman on the ice when the penalty ends.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
With only 6 mins in 75 games, and only two games where he has over 30 secs on the PP, one of which Brannstrom wasn't dressed for and the other where Brannstrom had 4 times as much PP toi, it looks like Hamonic would have been mostly used as the reg 5v5 pair that gets the final dozen secs so that you aren't caught with only 1 Dman on the ice when the penalty ends.

Yea 6 minutes isn't much.

I think it stands out in my mind because Brannstrom started the season on fire and was easily the most dynamic defenceman if not player for us.

And then imo DJ crushed his confidence, because he was playing guys like Brassard and Hamonic and if I remember correctly even Tyler f***ing motte on pp2 ahead of him. Around that point Brannstrom stopped playing like he was in the beginning. All confidence gone.

So yes it wasn't too much ice time for Hamonic, but it was crazy seeing him on PP2 ahead of a healthy Brannstrom who was in the lineup.

My point is I think Brannstrom noticed those plugs being put on the powerplay ahead of him, and now with actual competition for those minutes he might prefer a team where he can get those minutes regularly.

Not being on the powerplay early on on the season cost Brannstrom a few 100k easy on his next contract.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Because earlier on in the season they were putting Hamonic on the powerplay ahead Brannstrom.

It happened.

Stats and facts on the internet clearly disagree. Unless you're thinking of that game against Washington on Dec 22nd where Hamonic logged 1:18 of PP time and Brannstrom got 0. Hell, Brannstrom didn't get ANY minutes at all that game so I don't know what the coaching staff was doing not playing a guy that was injured.

Hamonic played 75 games this season, 69 of them with 12 seconds of PP time or less. 41 games with zero time. There's one game all season where they both played and Hamonic had substantially more PP time, and that was against Columbus just after New year's where he got a whopping 23 seconds and Brannstrom was the only D that didn't get any. Holden was gifted 2 seconds and Zub had the luxury of 1.

You have a memory of one occasion where maybe Brannstrom could've been out there and it was Hamonic instead. There's literally zero evidence that it was ever a thing for any more than a singular shift let alone a series of games.

It didn't happen, end of story.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Hard to find a lot of comparables for Brannstrom since there's only a handful of tiny D in the NHL that aren't excellent point producers.

Best one might be Matt Grzelcyk, who got 1.4M on a 2 year deal 5 years ago after putting up similar numbers.

I think something like 1.8M x 2 years is fair.
The leafs had 2 D similar to Branny recently… think they signed for the same amount. Think Sandin and Lildgren (butchered the names)

Reactions: bert

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Stats and facts on the internet clearly disagree. Unless you're thinking of that game against Washington on Dec 22nd where Hamonic logged 1:18 of PP time and Brannstrom got 0. Hell, Brannstrom didn't get ANY minutes at all that game so I don't know what the coaching staff was doing not playing a guy that was injured.

Hamonic played 75 games this season, 69 of them with 12 seconds of PP time or less. 41 games with zero time. There's one game all season where they both played and Hamonic had substantially more PP time, and that was against Columbus just after New year's where he got a whopping 23 seconds and Brannstrom was the only D that didn't get any. Holden was gifted 2 seconds and Zub had the luxury of 1.

You have a memory of one occasion where maybe Brannstrom could've been out there and it was Hamonic instead. There's literally zero evidence that it was ever a thing for any more than a singular shift let alone a series of games.

It didn't happen, end of story.

Maybe it did happen on only one occasion. My bad if so.

But substitute Hamonic for any one of the crap we have seen on PP2 like Lucchini, Motte, Brassard while Brannstrom was watching from the bench.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
DJ put Hamonic on PP1 at the end of one game, where Hamonic was having a good game and the team otherwise had a bunch of D injuries pop up, as a reward for Hamonic's play that particular night. Brannstrom has otherwise been receiving much more PP time than Hamonic.

He also specifically made a comment post game about it not being something to expect in the future.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

But substitute Hamonic for any one of the crap we have seen on PP2 like Lucchini, Motte, Brassard while Brannstrom was watching from the bench.
There's the need for that back hoe again. Looks like you hit bottom on this one though so good that you stopped digging

The leafs had 2 D similar to Branny recently… think they signed for the same amount. Think Sandin and Lildgren (butchered the names)
Those were the two comparables I was thinking of

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

So, it took 2 pages of posts to come back to the point I first made...
You know, since you're posting on the internet, you could use the very same utility to find the information you're claiming and realize you're wrong before you post it to a public forum.
You could have saved yourself some trouble on this one. You have an impressive repertoire of hot takes, not sure why you needed to pretty much make one up out of thin air.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lol yeah those are not the players blocking Brannstrom from staying on this roster, as we've seen down the stretch here. Either you're being disingenuous or well, a bit dim(no offense lol).
I don't think it's disingenuous or dim to recognized there are 4 guys objectively better than him (taking into account roles especially) and in a cap world you need to make tough choices.

Brannstrom is a commodity to us right now, one I'd like to keep, but, especially if the team opts to re-sign DeBrincat, tough choices will need to be made. He may price himself out, because he isn't bumping any of the top 4 out of their role imo.

Those 4 guys make it very hard to fit Brannstrom in long term. If you disagree, I really don't know what to tell you, I think he's good enough that he's going to quickly price himself out, if he hasn't already. But I just don't see him passing any of Chabot, Chychrun or Sanderson as an offensive guy, or Zub as a defensive guy. So he's pretty much got a glass ceiling of #5 D if he stays here, great option when there are injuries but is that commodity we can fit under the cap.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't think it's disingenuous or dim to recognized there are 4 guys objectively better than him (taking into account roles especially) and in a cap world you need to make tough choices.

Brannstrom is a commodity to us right now, one I'd like to keep, but, especially if the team opts to re-sign DeBrincat, tough choices will need to be made. He may price himself out, because he isn't bumping any of the top 4 out of their role imo.

Those 4 guys make it very hard to fit Brannstrom in long term. If you disagree, I really don't know what to tell you, I think he's good enough that he's going to quickly price himself out, if he hasn't already. But I just don't see him passing any of Chabot, Chychrun or Sanderson as an offensive guy, or Zub as a defensive guy. So he's pretty much got a glass ceiling of #5 D if he stays here, great option when there are injuries but is that commodity we can fit under the cap.
The Bran love is real in here, it’s like he’s the short guy champion! Personally DBC is that guy for me in the squad, but I like what Bran is developing into.

Having said that, he’s the easily the 5th best D on the team, and even then Hammy is better at some aspects of the game, while Bran is far better at others. Guys like JBD and Tompson are behind, but like early Bran, they haven’t had much runway to show what they have either.

Kleven has also just arrived on the scene and is also showing that he may belong already. (Imagine some dude laughed at me about not being surprised if he cracked the roster next season).

The point is that Branstrom has made great strides, but is still a bottom pairing D, and is still fending off the prospects behind him a lot more than competing to oust one of our top 4 guys from their spots.

Its a great position to have, and he is great in his role, and to be able to move up the lineup, but we see these guys get moved by teams all the time. Bottom pairing guys that can’t get more opportunity in teams with a deeper top 4. We’ll keep him as long as we can, but as long as he’s a tweener bottom 4 kind of guy, some team will want to take a chance and offer a trade.

Its a good problem to have in the end, and maybe Bran will be happy where he is, but I suspect that he’ll want the opportunity to take on a bigger role, and that likely won’t be here do to space.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
There's the need for that back hoe again. Looks like you hit bottom on this one though so good that you stopped digging

Those were the two comparables I was thinking of
So, it took 2 pages of posts to come back to the point I first made...

You could have saved yourself some trouble on this one. You have an impressive repertoire of hot takes, not sure why you needed to pretty much make one up out of thin air.

yes Hamonic didn't play as much as I thought, and that one instance just stands out in my mind. but it does not detract from my main point.

Why would Brannstrom be gung ho about signing a long deal, when DJ would not play him on the powerplay when there was space and now that there are three LD offensive defenceman ahead of him it is even less likely?

Powerplay minutes = easy points = money.

Brannstrom has been good enough to be on the PP all year, and I bet he thinks so as well.

Reactions: Emrasie

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
yes Hamonic didn't play as much as I thought, and that one instance just stands out in my mind. but it does not detract from my main point.

Why would Brannstrom be gung ho about signing a long deal, when DJ would not play him on the powerplay when there was space and now that there are three LD offensive defenceman ahead of him it is even less likely?

Powerplay minutes = easy points = money.

Brannstrom has been good enough to be on the PP all year, and I bet he thinks so as well.
So if i understand correctly here, what you're saying is

Even though my point was soundly beaten down, my point is still correct

Or in this instance being wrong makes you right

Here's the thing about the current PP trend. Pretty much every team is using a 4F-1D setup. What that means is less opportunity for D men on the PP. You even see teams that primarily use the same D on both PPs because it's easy ice time. There's 49 guys in the league that average >2 minutes a game on the PP and only 58 guys with more than 100 minutes.

I agree that Brannstrom can run an NHL PP but getting ice time around the league to do so is limited.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
So if i understand correctly here, what you're saying is

Even though my point was soundly beaten down, my point is still correct

Or in this instance being wrong makes you right

Here's the thing about the current PP trend. Pretty much every team is using a 4F-1D setup. What that means is less opportunity for D men on the PP. You even see teams that primarily use the same D on both PPs because it's easy ice time. There's 49 guys in the league that average >2 minutes a game on the PP and only 58 guys with more than 100 minutes.

I agree that Brannstrom can run an NHL PP but getting ice time around the league to do so is limited.

yes Hamonic did not play as much PP as I thought, that's not even my point though, it's a detail i got wrong and does not change the argument.

and yes PP time is competitive, it is the money maker, which is why for sure he would be okay with moving on from a team that has 3 offensive LHD ahead of him and even when they didn't the coach still played inferior offensive players in front of him. there are for sure better situations for him from a future earnings perspective.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
yes Hamonic did not play as much PP as I thought, that's not even my point though, it's a detail i got wrong and does not change the argument.

and yes PP time is competitive, it is the money maker, which is why for sure he would be okay with moving on from a team that has 3 offensive LHD ahead of him and even when they didn't the coach still played inferior offensive players in front of him. there are for sure better situations for him from a future earnings perspective.
Like I pointed out, there's not a lot of opportunities out there just based on how NHL teams run power plays today.

To get meaningful minutes, he'd have to average 2 minutes a game and as I pointed out, there's 49 such players. Maybe there's a few teams looking for an upgrade on what they have, but there's bound to be more that aren't

I guess it's a good thing that the team has depth to the point that players aren't getting certain opportunities

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad