Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It’s ironic that any 2nd round pick we acquire is worth nothing but if we trade one people feel it’s a sure fire all star.
Well it’s all relative. I wouldn’t give a second for anybody. And not because I love seconds. But because you can probably do more with a second in a trade than get some crap player.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well it’s all relative. I wouldn’t give a second for anybody. And not because I love seconds. But because you can probably do more with a second in a trade than get some crap player.
Not really pointing at you. Sorry.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It’s ironic that any 2nd round pick we acquire is worth nothing but if we trade one people feel it’s a sure fire all star.
It depends on what you get for trading a 2nd round pick.

Do you think Brannstrom is worth a 1st rd pick? I'm not sure who would give us a 1st rd pick for him, would you? I think both Kleven & JBD have shown they can skate the puck out of their own end, maybe not quite as well as Brann yet, but they haven't even played a full season yet & will still both be rookies next yr.

Brann brings what we already have in Chabot, Sanderson & Chychrun & IMO Kleven & JBD are also showing, while Kleven brings something that we need & don't have in the back end or are losing with Holden leaving & Hamonic near the end of his career. It will be interesting to see what his future holds.
Yes, probably a late 1st round pick.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
He shouldn’t be going anywhere, he’s been delightfully consistently reliable all year in his own zone. zone exits, and in transition. Personally I think we’re going to see another level out of him next year.

When this team gets off to a good start next year and they get comfortable and settle in they are going to steamroll some teams & we are going to see some sweet offensive hockey from him imo

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Kleven and Thomson/guenette could be just as good or better. Not saying it’s likely just that it’s possible enough to consider.
Why gamble on 2 guys like that? Thomson hasn't shown anything and Guenette has never played in the Nhl. Wtf? Lol. Why not play Crookshank instead of DBC too? People need to stop putting guys in the lineup who aren't ready. Brannstrom is a solid player for us now...and getting better all the time. Some people here will have the player we draft in the 5th round this summer on the roster by Christmas next season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Kleven has been nothing short of very good & steady during his games & the pairing with JBD has also played well together. I don't know what will happen with Brannstrom over the summer, but it won't surprise me either way whether they keep him or move him given we have other D that bring as much or a different skillset they need.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Kleven and Thomson/guenette could be just as good or better. Not saying it’s likely just that it’s possible enough to consider.

Thomson and Guenette are not NHL caliber at this point. Might be next year, might not.

This team needs real NHL dmen, Brannstrom is that, with a real good skillset. He can play 3rd pair or move up when injuries inevitably happen.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Can you read articles in the Athletic? Note this article is a few hours old and it addresses what I was telling you days ago about the move to the 4F1D power play.

Your stated view was Brannstrom would rather go somewhere where there's more PP time. The article quotes several NHL D talking about the need to have a well rounded game because of the move away from D on the PP

I can't read the article. and yea im not discounting the move to 4F1D but i also think it should depend on who the F and D are.

As an extreme example if I had 5 Kyle Turris and 5 Erik Karlssons i'm not running 4 Kyles and 1 Erik. I'm loading up on the Erik's.

And similarly there should be a good amount of teams where Brannstrom is better than many 2nd unit forwards and able to get a role there, not to mention the injuries that will happen.

I thought we were such a team but NHL coach DJ Smith was playing Brassard, Lucchini, Kastelic, Motte ahead of a healthy Brannstrom so wtf do i know.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I can't read the article. and yea im not discounting the move to 4F1D but i also think it should depend on who the F and D are.

As an extreme example if I had 5 Kyle Turris and 5 Erik Karlssons i'm not running 4 Kyles and 1 Erik. I'm loading up on the Erik's.

And similarly there should be a good amount of teams where Brannstrom is better than many 2nd unit forwards and able to get a role there, not to mention the injuries that will happen.

I thought we were such a team but NHL coach DJ Smith was playing Brassard, Lucchini, Kastelic, Motte ahead of a healthy Brannstrom so wtf do i know.
Well it's too bad you can't read.... always better to have an informed opinion

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This team needs real NHL dmen, Brannstrom is that, with a real good skillset. He can play 3rd pair or move up when injuries inevitably happen.

I really don't understand Brannstrom.

He had 55 minutes of PP time this year, and put up 1 PP assist.

That makes him the least productive PP player of the entire team in terms of guys who actually got powerplay time - which is 15th.

In his career, he has 271 minutes of PP time, and 11 powerplay points.

That puts him at 10th in total PP TOI on the team since he joined the Senators, and 39th in powerplay production, 12th among Ottawa defencemen.

He has a decent shot in terms of velocity, and his shooting percentage is 2.7%, which is second worst on the team, ahead of Parker Kelly.

He shows signs of cerebral play and calmness with the puck, and none of that somehow translates into offensive opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
Hey guys,

Remember when Dorion got Brännström from Vegas for Stone, he was all pumped and excited about how great of a deal it was. Given now Brännström is essentially a non-factor in the Sens core, anyone know what happened? Why all the hype at the outset and how did he fizzle so badly relative to that hype?

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
It happens. We were hyped about Ilya Zubov too after he showed progress in the AHL. The Brannstrom hype had a few factors

- him being a Swedish offensive dman drafted at the peak of Karlsson-mania in Ottawa
- drafted by Vegas, who was the NHL's sweetheart at the time, with everyone was hyping their inaugural draft (Cody Glass, Nick Suzuki, & Brannstrom in the 1st round), turned out to be only 1 good pick out of 3
- fans happily fuel the hype since he was the main return for one of the team's best players

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
I don't think most people thought the Stone trade was a "great deal" at the time. While there was certainly quite a bit of hype over Brannstrom as a prospect, the common opinion seemed to be that he would never be as good as Stone. From what I remember, fans were still pissed that we traded a player like Stone in the prime of his career and were confused that we couldn't also get a first round draft pick in the deal. There was a reason Dorion got immediate backlash when he called that day his "proudest day as GM."

Branny may not have quite lived up to the hype, but he's trending in the right direction. He played some of his best hockey down the stretch and I still think there's some more upside.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

Keli

Oct 6, 2020
Branny is only 23 and yes he may be undersized for a NHL D but he can move the puck very well. With a competent D partner he can do well, we should keep him if he's willing to sign a cheap contract.

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I don't think most people thought the Stone trade was a "great deal" at the time. While there was certainly quite a bit of hype over Brannstrom as a prospect, the common opinion seemed to be that he would never be as good as Stone. From what I remember, fans were still pissed that we traded a player like Stone in the prime of his career and were confused that we couldn't also get a first round draft pick in the deal. There was a reason Dorion got immediate backlash when he called that day his "proudest day as GM."

Branny may not have quite lived up to the hype, but he's trending in the right direction. He played some of his best hockey down the stretch and I still think there's some more upside.

Dorion totally shit the bed on the Stone situation, and then to save face overhyped the return. Thanks to Dorion, Brannstrom's been saddled with this "proudest day as GM" bullshit which is still being held against him.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
It happens. We were hyped about Ilya Zubov too after he showed progress in the AHL. The Brannstrom hype had a few factors

- him being a Swedish offensive dman drafted at the peak of Karlsson-mania in Ottawa
- drafted by Vegas, who was the NHL's sweetheart at the time, with everyone was hyping their inaugural draft (Cody Glass, Nick Suzuki, & Brannstrom in the 1st round), turned out to be only 1 good pick out of 3
- fans happily fuel the hype since he was the main return for one of the team's best players
I think Branny being a young swedish offensive defender also may have gave us hopes that he could help fill EK's shoes.

On a side note, Brann and Glass are looking to be everyday NHLers. Glass has broken out in Nashville, and I'll be shocked if Brann is ever a healthy scratch next year.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Dorion totally shit the bed on the Stone situation, and then to save face overhyped the return. Thanks to Dorion, Brannstrom's been saddled with this "proudest day as GM" bullshit which is still being held against him.
Yeah, not really though.

It’s only the PD haters that give two shits about that comment, It’s only them who use it against him, as everyone else has moved on, if they were ever hung up on it to begin with.

Assholes on the internet are going to asshole. Can’t really blame the GM for assholes on the internet can we? It would be a lot simpler to just blame the assholes on the internet for being assholes wouldn’t it?

Regardless, the guy has already apologized in the media, explained the situation and admitted that it was a dumb thing to have said in his excitment. Most reasonable people were happy to let it go at that point, you know when a guy has the courage to own up for a mistake in public, and then join in on the laugh at his own expense.

In the end Branstrom’s development has zero to do with Stone, and most people understand that. Stone hasn’t really done shit since anyways and is now more of an injury concern going forward, while Branstrom is becoming a valuable member of our team. Even for those who need to hold on to petty grudges, the traded players are heading in opposite directions, and Branstrom has lots of runway left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad