Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That seems so crazy! Is he a different case than other contracts for some reason? It feels he has played pro for many seasons, how is he still 4 years away from UFA?

As for his game, it continues to get better and as a long time Branny supporter I am encouraged to see the significant steps he has taken this season although he did get absolutely rocked at mid ice on an awkward hit and then blown up behind the Sens net in the 3rd. Bounced back with apparently no lingering effects though.

I want him on the team but at minimum his play has to be getting attention from some GM's and overall that is a big positive compared to what many expected even last year.
There is likely a very good explanation that involves his age and having had his ELC slide a couple of years and the number of years under contract
I just look up years to UFA UFA year is 2027 (2023-24, 2024-25, 2025-26, 2026-27)

A player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) if their current contract ends after either 7 Accrued Seasons or they are 27 or older as of June 30.

Reactions: NB613 and OD99

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
We’ve already had the king of Oster negotiations, and him and PD came out friendly, I wouldn’t worry about that angle.

Also, I’m not sure there is an up and down relationship with the team have you heard anything about it? Branstrom has played almost every game he’s been up for, and took a while to develop into an everyday player. I’m not sure why he would be pissed at the team for taking things slow with him.

He’ll likely sign a bridge since that’s all we have room for right now regardless, and then he has time to work for his first big deal.
PD mentioned Kleven negotiations took a while cause Newport, those guys grab every inch for their client, with Branny really showing something down the stretch I don't see him signing a team friendly deal.

re relationship: he's always the first guy to get scratched despite not being the most deserving, I am sure he wants to show he can be a PP guy which as long as our 3 LHD stay relatively healthy will never happen.

I like Branny and more than anything I am happy the guy has shown he has legit talent and deserves more opportunity, I just dont see it here for many reasons, this is just the direction I think the org will go in, but I'd be happy to be wrong because he's a good player

Reactions: Emrasie

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
PD mentioned Kleven negotiations took a while cause Newport, those guys grab every inch for their client, with Branny really showing something down the stretch I don't see him signing a team friendly deal.

re relationship: he's always the first guy to get scratched despite not being the most deserving, I am sure he wants to show he can be a PP guy which as long as our 3 LHD stay relatively healthy will never happen.

I like Branny and more than anything I am happy the guy has shown he has legit talent and deserves more opportunity, I just dont see it here for many reasons, this is just the direction I think the org will go in, but I'd be happy to be wrong because he's a good player

Go ahead and list those "many reasons".

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Go ahead and list those "many reasons".

I've always been a big Brannstrom supporter. I don't think dmarc is wrong here.

I think that Brannstrom is a legitimate second pairing defenceman. I think that his opportunities in Ottawa will be limited, at least for the next 2-4 years, because he's on the depth chart behind Sanderson, Chychrun, Chabot, and Zub, regardless of what side he plays. He's also not going to get much PP time, because he's behind Chabot (career .6ppg defenceman), Sanderson (star D prospect), and Chychrun (20 goal upside).

The next 2-4 years are Brannstrom's prime. If I was Brannstrom's agent, I would be telling him that he's worth more than the $2m that Ottawa is likely willing to pay him, and that he should be open to opportunities elsewhere, where he can be higher on the depth chart and get paid accordingly, though at the same time those opportunities might be limited because of bias relating to his size.

I think it would be fantastic for Ottawa to keep Brannstrom, both because he's a legitimately good hockey player who is underpaid, and because I think he's an entertaining player to watch, but I think that it's likely in his best interests to try to find other opportunities.

e: Beaten way more succinctly.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We have too 4 guys that are known to miss games every year.

A solid 3rd pairing will get lots of ice time and opportunity to play up the line up. I’m not sure I’d say that Branny is a stand alone top 4 guy on a good team, but he’s just the right medicine as third pairing guy who can play both special teams, and fill in in the top 4 without missing a beat when needed.

The ice time distribution won’t be the issue, it will come down to how much you need to pay to fill out the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: NB613

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I think that Brannstrom is a legitimate second pairing defenceman. I think that his opportunities in Ottawa will be limited, at least for the next 2-4 years, because he's on the depth chart behind Sanderson, Chychrun, Chabot, and Zub, regardless of what side he plays. He's also not going to get much PP time, because he's behind Chabot (career .6ppg defenceman), Sanderson (star D prospect), and Chychrun (20 goal upside).

The next 2-4 years are Brannstrom's prime. If I was Brannstrom's agent, I would be telling him that he's worth more than the $2m that Ottawa is likely willing to pay him, and that he should be open to opportunities elsewhere, where he can be higher on the depth chart and get paid accordingly, though at the same time those opportunities might be limited because of bias relating to his size.

I think it would be fantastic for Ottawa to keep Brannstrom, both because he's a legitimately good hockey player who is underpaid, and because I think he's an entertaining player to watch, but I think that it's likely in his best interests to try to find other opportunities.

Biggest questions is he thought of like this around the league?

Where does he go where he is immediately on the PP and a top 4 D? I haven't looked so I am not sure how many fits there is.

Big Branny supporter and he is a great buy low risk for other orgs but not sure there is that much interest around the league to put him in a prime spot.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Would be absolutely idiotic to not keep and extend him now. They gave up a massive player for him they have invested alot of time resources and development in him. He has finally turned a corner.

This narrative that he wont have opportunity is strange to me. He can play RD and they only have Zub. Look how banged up this D core has been every single season. As great as Chychurn and Chabot are they have both been injury proned. Its a weird thing for this fanbase its ok to have depth. Brannstrom is perfect because they should be able to sign him to a low number. You win with depth like him.

He doesnt have much leverage id be trying to hammer out a long term deal with him at a good number.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We have too 4 guys that are known to miss games every year.

A solid 3rd pairing will get lots of ice time and opportunity to play up the line up. I’m not sure I’d say that Branny is a stand alone top 4 guy on a good team, but he’s just the right medicine as third pairing guy who can play both special teams, and fill in in the top 4 without missing a beat when needed.

The ice time distribution won’t be the issue, it will come down to how much you need to pay to fill out the 3rd pairing.
Issue is he may want too much money. That guy you describe may have to be jbd, kleven or thomson on cheap contracts.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009

Spot on burf! Not to mention he's valuable asset that we could leverage for picks which we're thin on or maybe an upgrade in goal.

Like you I'd love to keep him on a 2m x 4 year deal but the org is going to move on from him, and I think he would welcome it too.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
1.Chabot
2.Chychrun
3.Sanderson
4.Zub
Three of those players all got hurt for a significatn amount of time this year. Only 1 plays RD. Its ok to have depth. Brannstrom is also going to come in at a bottom pair price tag. This concept that they dont have room for him makes no sense. Colorado plays Girard on their third pairing sometimes.

Issue is he may want too much money. That guy you describe may have to be jbd, kleven or thomson on cheap contracts.
He has no leverage.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If I had a magic wand, I would ship Joseph's contract somewhere else, replace with an ELC from within the org, and then re-sign Brann to a 2-3 year deal (that costs no more than Joseph's, shorter the term the less salary). I think he still has room to grow, think we will see a slight bit uptick in his offensive numbers as well the more comfortable he gets and feels as a regular NHL player.

Reactions: h2

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Three of those players all got hurt for a significatn amount of time this year. Only 1 plays RD. Its ok to have depth. Brannstrom is also going to come in at a bottom pair price tag. This concept that they dont have room for him makes no sense. Colorado plays Girard on their third pairing sometimes.

He has no leverage.
I'd love to keep Brannstrom, don't get me wrong, but having 3 LD that are all better than him will make it tougher to justify keeping him around, he won't get PP time unless other guys get hurt, he'll get used mostly in a role he isn't suited for unless someone gets hurt, and he's going to want to get paid.

Guys like Kleven, JBD and perhaps Thomson will be pushing for spots and cost less, and for those last two spots on the Blueline, I suspect we'll target more defensive minded guys.

again, I say this as someone who wants to keep Brannstrom around, I just see writing on the wall that he may be the odd man out sooner than later, and the 4 guys clearly ahead of him are a big part of why.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd love to keep Brannstrom, don't get me wrong, but having 3 LD that are all better than him will make it tougher to justify keeping him around, he won't get PP time unless other guys get hurt, he'll get used mostly in a role he isn't suited for unless someone gets hurt, and he's going to want to get paid.

Guys like Kleven, JBD and perhaps Thomson will be pushing for spots and cost less, and for those last two spots on the Blueline, I suspect we'll target more defensive minded guys.

again, I say this as someone who wants to keep Brannstrom around, I just see writing on the wall that he may be the odd man out sooner than later, and the 4 guys clearly ahead of him are a big part of why.
He's playing RD right now, he is doing it well. His versatility is an asset, Chychrun and Chabot have never been able to play 82 games in a season. Brann has no leverage to get paid. I think you are making up an problem that doesnt exist. JBD and Thomson will never be a threat to Brannstrom neither is close to as talented.

Why do people think he can demand money? Give me one tangible statistic his agent can bring to the table. Holden for example has more points in 9 less games... I think he would probably want some security, I know I would. He has barely been an NHL player, consistently been scratched. Someone offers him 4 years 7.5 million are you turning that down? When he comes out of it he is 27 years old, a UFA and have made 10 + million already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senator Stanley

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Brannstrom thinks the game better offensively and defensively than Chabot. The only edge Chabot has is his size and skating but increasingly Brannstrom is learning to mitigate that and the differences between them are not so great.

one makes 8m the other we could probably get for 3m or less.

Brannstrom at 3m + 5mill of forward or rd depth, or Chabot at 8m? the choice seems clear to me.

(ps I like Chabot been high on him since he was a prospect etc etc since i will be accused as a hater)

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's playing RD right now, he is doing it well. His versatility is an asset, Chychrun and Chabot have never been able to play 82 games in a season. Brann has no leverage to get paid. I think you are making up an problem that doesnt exist. JBD and Thomson will never be a threat to Brannstrom neither is close to as talented.

Why do people think he can demand money? Give me one tangible statistic his agent can bring to the table. Holden for example has more points in 9 less games... I think he would probably want some security, I know I would. He has barely been an NHL player, consistently been scratched. Someone offers him 4 years 7.5 million are you turning that down? When you come out of is your are 27 years old are a UFA and have made 10 + million already.

We shall see I guess. Were in a pretty tight cap situation at the moment, so even a modest salary gets tough to fit in. He's also a good candidate for a team to offer sheet as you can get him for a 2nd for anything under 4 mil or so, I just figure he could be the type of guy

JBD may never be as good of a player but he'll have a lower cap hit and fit fine on a 3rd pair. He's waiver eligible so they won't want to lose him for nothing, and he won't return enough to bother trading.

Meanwhile teams might be looking at Brannstrom as a potential top 4 guy that's just been buried, we'd be dealing him from a position of strength.

Bear got 2 mil x 2 when he was ARB eligible, I see that as a likely landing spot for Brannstrom, but some team might try to pry him away via an offer sheet, offer him 1yr x 3 or 4, we can't fit that in, they get him for a 2nd and he's RFA at the end.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

He has no leverage.
His leverage is simply going to look elsewhere. I’m not saying he will want 5. I’m saying he may want a little more than what we can afford given the two bug contracts we have acquired and the 1 big one coming up.

I’m not a cap nerd so, these are rough estimates and examples.

We may only be able to offer him 1.5. He may want 2.5 and extra years. For us. That extra million could be significant. For him and his agent? Not really. And he may be able to get that elsewhere.

And you may say “okay c ya”. That’s fine. But the argument is that he may price himself out of our team because of how our team is built he’s very clearly the teams 5th best d man

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Are there any other players similar to his age and trajectory that have signed for anything more than $2 million aav on a bridge?
What is his trajectory? A guy like brannstrom, I THINK his trajectory would be evaluated differently across 32 teams. Especially if some teams have been scouting our last 15 games where he’s simply been great.

But saying that. Like another poster said maybe we can’t afford 2-2.5?

The way this team is structured. Branny and kleven will need to essentially accept bottom pair roles to stick around. If they think they can be top 4s and get paid as such….they’re going to want opportunity elsewhere.

I think 3 years is ideal. At 2 million. Because in two years we will resign chychrun and likely trade Branny at the start of that 3rd year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brannstrom thinks the game better offensively and defensively than Chabot. The only edge Chabot has is his size and skating but increasingly Brannstrom is learning to mitigate that and the differences between them are not so great.

one makes 8m the other we could probably get for 3m or less.

Brannstrom at 3m + 5mill of forward or rd depth, or Chabot at 8m? the choice seems clear to me.

(ps I like Chabot been high on him since he was a prospect etc etc since i will be accused as a hater)

I don't think Brannstrom is going to cost anywhere close to 3M. His ridiculously low shooting percentage and underwhelming numbers will see to that, even if he's been excellent overall in his role. I'd expect somewhere between 1-2M.

I do agree that we should explore options to swap Chabot for a RD, should the opportunity present itself.

Reactions: bert

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
I think he will ask for at least 2M/year and as a good D player who can play PP, PK, LD, RD, who is durable, it would be understandable.
Like i said previously if DJ is the coach next year i think he will ask to be traded, he knows he will be the first guy out.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His leverage is simply going to look elsewhere. I’m not saying he will want 5. I’m saying he may want a little more than what we can afford given the two bug contracts we have acquired and the 1 big one coming up.

I’m not a cap nerd so, these are rough estimates and examples.

We may only be able to offer him 1.5. He may want 2.5 and extra years. For us. That extra million could be significant. For him and his agent? Not really. And he may be able to get that elsewhere.

And you may say “okay c ya”. That’s fine. But the argument is that he may price himself out of our team because of how our team is built he’s very clearly the teams 5th best d man
The sens have team control he has no leverage. He can't just say 'c ya'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad