Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Here we are with Defenceman dropping like flies, we haven’t had decent Defneive depth since Chara was here and the majority of experts want to trade Branny because on their bingo card he looks small.

Same group of knuckle-heads who hated the EK pick. Same group of dummies who said Bobby Ryan game was great because he gave intimate interviews. Same group who believed Anthony Duclair wanted $25 million to stay in Ottawa

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Branny was flying out there in a physically vicious game.

He’ll be a fine NHL defenseman, playoffs included. The complete package will outweigh the challenges related to stature.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Quite the pretzel the author ties himself into to justify his conclusion the Sens should trade Brannstrom.

I don’t know how someone watching this team and knowing Chabot and Chychrun’s injury history can want to trade a 23 year old defenseman who has repeatedly showed ability to fill in a top 4 role, particularly when his contract likely won’t be huge.

The Sens need to take another step next season. A late 2023 first does nothing to help that while Brannstrom helps a lot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Quite the pretzel the author ties himself into to justify his conclusion the Sens should trade Brannstrom.

I don’t know how someone watching this team and knowing Chabot and Chychrun’s injury history can want to trade a 23 year old defenseman who has repeatedly showed ability to fill in a top 4 role, particularly when his contract likely won’t be huge.

The Sens need to take another step next season. A late 2023 first does nothing to help that while Brannstrom helps a lot.
Unless Brann is part of a package that returns a #1 goalie which they need more IMO, otherwise I would agree with you. Afterall, looking at next yr's defence they have Chabot, Sanderson, Chychrun, Zub & likely Hamonic returns for another season, but you are right when it comes to injuries Ottawa has seen more than it's share this yr in net & on defence. They also have Kleven, JBD, Thomson & maybe Guennette who will all be fighting Brann for that last spot & two of those guys will not be waiver exempt next yr. what to do, what to do indeed.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I have said I think we should keep him but I can understand the thought exercise . We need a solid replacement would be a prerequisite for that and to me right now that is an unknown

Reactions: Cosmix

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I have said I think we should keep him but I can understand the thought exercise . We need a solid replacement would be a prerequisite for that and to me right now that is an unknown

I think it would be harder than most think to replace a versatile third pair piece like Brannstrom.

I’d imagine it’s a short list of defensemen who :
- consistently carry/move the puck out of their end
- are a solid PK option
- are a credible PP option
- can play left or right
- likely cost under 1.5 per

I’ve got no problem with the idea of upgrading from him but this team shouldn’t move a defenseman without having that upgrade in hand.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Keep up the play Branny, get him extended for a low cost and we have a solid 3rd pairing guy who can step up in the top 4 if someone gets injured
I think it would be harder than most think to replace a versatile third pair piece like Brannstrom.

- are a solid PK option
- can play left or right

I’ve got no problem with the idea of upgrading from him but this team shouldn’t move a defenseman without having that upgrade in hand.
1000% this

Reactions: Cosmix and Bileur

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

- are a solid PK option
- can play left or right

I would think this is obvious but it so clearly isn't.

I am intrigued by what a 26 year old Branny will be bringing to the table. Lots of room to grow as the game slows down for him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It’s pretty clear that the coaches and management like Branny development this year. like others have said, he’s exactly the type of guy you want on the bottom pair, who can step up when injuries hit without looking bad or harming the team.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I am intrigued by what a 26 year old Branny will be bringing to the table. Lots of room to grow as the game slows down for him.

For sure.

Brian Rafalski (similar build and skills) didn't even make the NHL until he was 26. Brannstrom still has plenty of runway. He's figured out every league he's played in and it looks like he's starting to get the NHL. I don't think his ceiling is bottom pairing. He might end up as a really good 3-4.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

For sure.

Brian Rafalski (similar build and skills) didn't even make the NHL until he was 26. Brannstrom still has plenty of runway. He's figured out every league he's played in and it looks like he's starting to get the NHL. I don't think his ceiling is bottom pairing. He might end up as a really good 3-4.

Toby Enstrom and Kimmo Timmonen also took a few years to make the league.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
It's assumed that he's a pure OFD because of his size, but he's much better defensively than people give him credit for, he's just taking time to adjust to the speed, size, and skill in the NHL.

I'm not expecting 50 points, I view him more like a less offensive Ryan Ellis. Branny is going to look good with a consistent, steady partner in a structured system.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Unless Brann is part of a package that returns a #1 goalie which they need more IMO, otherwise I would agree with you. Afterall, looking at next yr's defence they have Chabot, Sanderson, Chychrun, Zub & likely Hamonic returns for another season, but you are right when it comes to injuries Ottawa has seen more than it's share this yr in net & on defence. They also have Kleven, JBD, Thomson & maybe Guennette who will all be fighting Brann for that last spot & two of those guys will not be waiver exempt next yr. what to do, what to do indeed.
Like when we traded another struggling up and comer for Talbot? ;)

Not ragging on you, just a #1 goalie gamble in Murray and Talbot haven't paid off, and giving up on our young guy in Gustavsson appears to have possibly backfired. Might have been a play on our deep prospect pool with Sogaard + Mando + Merilainen but so far, have to say we'd have been better off not trading for Talbot. Not a lot of #1 goalies actually worth a gamble on available out there.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Not ragging on you, just a #1 goalie gamble in Murray and Talbot haven't paid off, and giving up on our young guy in Gustavsson appears to have possibly backfired. Might have been a play on our deep prospect pool with Sogaard + Mando + Merilainen but so far, have to say we'd have been better off not trading for Talbot. Not a lot of #1 goalies actually worth a gamble on available out there.
We should make a poll to see which aging declining vet goalie we acquire for next year. My money's on Copley

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Amazing what a lil confidence can do for a young player. He is buzzing right now. Skating as good as any player in the line up.

Sucks there is no cap space next year if he is looking to make more than 2m but I am down to move Joseph to fit him

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Brann is not a goalie & he's a 6th D with arguably 5 better players ahead of him. I don't see losing Brann for a #1 goalie as a big deal or equivalent. Talbot can be a good goalie but he was injured all yr & the yr before Murray was injured all yr, you can't do anything about injuries, it's sports they happen. In hindasight not trading for Talbot may have been better, but who knows how Gus would have played here & who knows maybe he gets hurt here, it's all conjecture. .

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Amazing what a lil confidence can do for a young player. He is buzzing right now. Skating as good as any player in the line up.

Sucks there is no cap space next year if he is looking to make more than 2m but I am down to move Joseph to fit him
And a little less Zaitsev.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

One thing I've noticed over the years reading in here is there's often a disconnect between the thinking in here and what actually happens in the reality of the NHL

Given the comments we've heard in the past month or so from DJ and PD, I suspect the team's thoughts on Brannstrom are more positive than various other takes.

Reactions: NB613 and Bileur

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

See Gus trade, see demelo trade and don’t make the same mistake. Depends on how Kleven and Thomson/guenette look though.

Reactions: Cosmix and Bileur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad