Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
You have such a hard stance for a guy who admittedly knows little about the player, but whateve’s we’ll see what happens.

Little: no. Medium: yes.

I still know with the amount of knowledge that I do have on this player, that your original statement was ridiculous.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The team is really hyping him up, but I still feel it's pretty unlikely he skips Belleville.

Apparently Redden was really impressed with him, as was DJ. The skill set is really good, I think it will boil down to how quickly he adapts to the pro game, team systems, and opportunity.

That last but is a big one, Chabot, Sanderson, Chychrun, Zub, and Brannstrom are all ahead of him, and 4 of them play the left side. Idk if Hamonic or Holden return, but JBD and Thomson are waiver eligible starting next season so he'll need to be more than just a little better than them to take a spot.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The team is really hyping him up, but I still feel it's pretty unlikely he skips Belleville.

Apparently Redden was really impressed with him, as was DJ. The skill set is really good, I think it will boil down to how quickly he adapts to the pro game, team systems, and opportunity.

Yip, agreed. If you see DJ's quote he specifically uses the word "raw". I think he's got some good tools, size, skating, shot. But they need to be refined, especially his puck skills. Hence why that statement was absurd.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I still know with the amount of knowledge that I do have on this player, that your original statement was ridiculous.
I don’t think you’ve been keeping up with recent interviews if you think me saying “it wouldn’t surprise me” is ridiculous to you.

Either way you’ve spent the time I have for you on this subject.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

That last but is a big one, Chabot, Sanderson, Chychrun, Zub, and Brannstrom are all ahead of him, and 4 of them play the left side. Idk if Hamonic or Holden return, but JBD and Thomson are waiver eligible starting next season so he'll need to be more than just a little better than them to take a spot.
It's most likely Holden doesn't return for next season he's 35 yrs old afterall. Are you sure that Thomson is waiver eligible next yr, I thought he had another yr, but JBD is?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don’t think you’ve been keeping up with recent interviews if you think me saying “it wouldn’t surprise me” is ridiculous to you.

Either way you’ve spent the time I have for you on this subject.

Ok, sure. Gonna bookmark this and have a laugh later.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Kleven brings something this team needs & doesn't have, Branny brings more of what we already have in Chabot, Sanderson & Chychrun. Even Holden & Hamonic have outscored Brannstrom, Zub is also a better defenceman although injured a lot this yr.

IMO he is in tough, but if Kleven starts in Belleville & Holden is not re-signed there will be an opening for next season for Brannstrom on the 3rd pairing or as depth. I think Hamonic will be back because he has been so good in a number of ways & has 19 pts. I also think JBD will be on the team if not traded because he will no longer be waiver exempt. It should be interesting what happens on that 3rd pair for next season.
I have suspicions about JBD making the team as our defensemen have not be great and JBD could not replace one of them.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I have suspicions about JBD making the team as our defensemen have not be great and JBD could not replace one of them.
I think now that we have Chychrun, and with additional experience for Sanderson and Brannstrom, it is ok to take a chance next year on using rookies as our #6 and #7D, namely JBD and Lassi. But I also would like to have Hamonic back. With the usual injuries there will be PT for everybody anyway.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Chychrun
Brannstrom - Hamonic
JBD, Lassi <- waiver eligible, so will need to be on the NHL roster unless you're ok risking losing them on waivers. More likely one or both will get to play anyway due to inevitable injuries *couch* Chychrun *cough*.

In Belleville we have Kleven and Guenette. Could use more high-end D prospects though... Jorion Donovan is further away but is intriguing.

I'm ok going with that contingent next season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think now that we have Chychrun, and with additional experience for Sanderson and Brannstrom, it is ok to take a chance next year on using rookies as our #6 and #7D, namely JBD and Lassi. But I also would like to have Hamonic back. With the usual injuries there will be PT for everybody anyway.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Chychrun
Brannstrom - Hamonic
JBD, Lassi <- waiver eligible, so will need to be on the NHL roster unless you're ok risking losing them on waivers. More likely one or both will get to play anyway due to inevitable injuries *couch* Chychrun *cough*.

In Belleville we have Kleven and Guenette. Could use more high-end D prospects though... Jorion Donovan is further away but is intriguing.

It all Hinges on what we will have to pay to retain Hamonic. I think it could be up to $3M.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah, that would be a bit rich... $1.5M or maaaybe even $2M for 1yr or 2 would be ok in my book.

Agreed, not paying north of 1.5 for Ham.

As for JBD and Thomson, I don't think they have a future. They both seemed to stagnate in development. I never saw anything special in JBD. I think Guenette has a better chance of making than both of them.

I'm not the biggest Brannstrom fan, but it'd be stupid not to have him back next year. We don't have anyone better than him right now. Unless we go the UFA route.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agreed, not paying north of 1.5 for Ham.

As for JBD and Thomson, I don't think they have a future. They both seemed to stagnate in development. I never saw anything special in JBD. I think Guenette has a better chance of making than both of them.

I'm not the biggest Brannstrom fan, but it'd be stupid not to have him back next year. We don't have anyone better than him right now. Unless we go the UFA route.
I think its way to early to decide on this. D men take longer to develop for the most part, were still seeing it with Brannstrom. Giving up on first round picks early doesnt make alot of sense to me. I dont expect either to be anything special but I wouldnt rule out them both as NHL players. Thomson is a pretty raw player in general. JBD has very little upside I agree.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brannstrom to me is the most improved player again this season. Sanderson of course is the most improved player but he’s a superstar so it’s like saying Gretzky is improving.

Branny 2 years in a row has really stepped up his game. You just want to see progress and he’s still getting better.

Can play both sides too, lots to like in his game already

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Setting the Brannstrom debate aside, you got to remember that some were saying Bettman would decide who the next owners would be. The Melnyk sisters would just go along with whatever Gary wanted and the NHL league rules be damned.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Chychrun
Brannstrom - Hamonic

I hope we re-sign Hamonic and trade either Thomson or JBD while the other is our number 7.

Add another vet on a 2 way like we did with Larsson to provide depth along with Kleven and Guenette.

Donovan is far more advanced than you would expect from a late pick but he will still be in the OHL next year. He may be our 2nd best D prospect after Klevin, I think he was a steal.

Hamara could move to the AHL next year but he’s probably best served with another year in the OHL as he had a less than stellar season, although I haven’t seen him since early January.

Setting the Brannstrom debate aside, you got to remember that some were saying Bettman would decide who the next owners would be. The Melnyk sisters would just go along with whatever Gary wanted and the NHL league rules be damned.
The BoG must approve the sale and history says that they do whatever Gary wants so he kind of will decide who gets the team.

Reactions: DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Gary has a lot of influence don’t kid yourself.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Lol, love how you’re tripling down on your misunderstanding of my statement…

And yet, here we are watching the league vet and pick the next owner in front of your eyes.

You still think the Melnyks are picking the next owner, which I guess is quaint, in a wrong sort of way… ;)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope we re-sign Hamonic and trade either Thomson or JBD while the other is our number 7.

Add another vet on a 2 way like we did with Larsson to provide depth along with Kleven and Guenette.

Donovan is far more advanced than you would expect from a late pick but he will still be in the OHL next year. He may be our 2nd best D prospect after Klevin, I think he was a steal.

Hamara could move to the AHL next year but he’s probably best served with another year in the OHL as he had a less than stellar season, although I haven’t seen him since early January.

The BoG must approve the sale and history says that they do whatever Gary wants so he kind of will decide who gets the team.
Bettman "recommends" but does not decide. That power resides in the Board. The current owner has a say in determing the next owner; however, the NHL Board must approve the sale. Both parties must agree unless there is text in the franchise agreement specifying otherwise (which I do not know).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad