Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Brannstrom is a very talented player that's finally realizing how he can utilize his skills and smarts to be a good defender in spite of his height disability. I've really liked his play the last few weeks and I hope they can keep him around for a few years.

I'll always prefer bigger guys on D, but you can get away with 1 small defenseman if he plays big and you have others that can handle the heavy lifting. Having a guy like that on your bottom pairing is a luxury

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He has been noticeably good since last season. Hopefully we are seeing the begin of his talent coming together at the NHL level.

Been a proponent for a long time and think he can be a luxury on our 3rd line.

He’s shown the ability from time to time. Always better when he is pushing the pace offensively. Obviously loved his goal, reminded me of the rushes he had earlier in the season. Attacked the middle rather than getting trapped to the outside lane. Hopefully he can build off of his last few games.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brannstrom is a very talented player that's finally realizing how he can utilize his skills and smarts to be a good defender in spite of his height disability. I've really liked his play the last few weeks and I hope they can keep him around for a few years.

I'll always prefer bigger guys on D, but you can get away with 1 small defenseman if he plays big and you have others that can handle the heavy lifting. Having a guy like that on your bottom pairing is a luxury

He’s a +4 which is best among Dman and is top 3 on the team in +/-. Has played 180 NHL games all with Ottawa. His next 100 games will be so much better then his previous 100 - he’s ready to take a big step

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
We should be reminded with Brannstrom that he was bashed by the fanbase, unfairly measured by the Stone trade, not trusted by the coach, buried on the depth chart, yo yo'd with the farm team, punished physically on the ice and could never get the bread and butter of his game to work at the NHL level yet he kept his head down, worked hard, never gave up and here he is carving himself a nice little role on this team.

These are the players you love to cheer for and nobody should underestimate the mental strength it has taken for him to get to where he is.

Good for him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Loved his goal but the opposition won't give you that much ice often, Tbay fell asleep on that one and he took advantage. Nice shot though.

I thought his pass to Debrincat for the second goal was great, he was seeing the ice really well, he had a number of really good breakouts starting from behind our net.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I wonder what his next contract will look like.

he signed at league min to show if he belongs or not and he is clearly a NHL player.

Maybe a 2 year bridge at 2.25M (Y1 1.5M, Y2, 3M) which would set him up for 3M QO which then the sens could trade him with Kleven ready.
I'd offer him 3 years a 1 million per year and see if it takes. He has very little leverage.

His perseverance has been great and his play over the the last 20 or 30 games looks like a sustainable NHL player. The biggest thing for me is he isn't taking so many massive hits. His spacial awareness is so much better. To the point where he is being physical. Which has improved his defense. It's been night and day. His shot blocking is way better too. Naturally when you take care of your own end the offense gets better too.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Kleven brings something this team needs & doesn't have, Branny brings more of what we already have in Chabot, Sanderson & Chychrun. Even Holden & Hamonic have outscored Brannstrom, Zub is also a better defenceman although injured a lot this yr.

IMO he is in tough, but if Kleven starts in Belleville & Holden is not re-signed there will be an opening for next season for Brannstrom on the 3rd pairing or as depth. I think Hamonic will be back because he has been so good in a number of ways & has 19 pts. I also think JBD will be on the team if not traded because he will no longer be waiver exempt. It should be interesting what happens on that 3rd pair for next season.

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Lol @ biggest Branny hater Gord Wilson, on the radio saying that Erik is good but "he doesn't face the same kind of competition any of the other 5 dmen do".

f*** that meat head.
They’re so annoying.

Like yeah…. How can 6 d men all face the top line? who does he think the bottom pit plays against. Why does he think tom preissing and Joe corvo were +500

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
They’re so annoying.

Like yeah…. How can 6 d men all face the top line? who does he think the bottom pit plays against. Why does he think tom preissing and Joe corvo were +500

Yeah he knows all of this but he needs to bring it up when it comes to Brannstrom because he obviously doesn't like small dmen. Must keep him up at night when Erik has a great game.

Reactions: Bileur

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Thats Gord’s schtick. I remember years ago he would rag on Rachunek (rip) like he’s doing with Brannstrom. Unless he’s a good ole Canadian boy of course..

It wouldn't bug me so much if he didn't also let it influence his color commentary. He'll point out any small mistake or missed pass from Branny and pass that off as objective observation. God I wish we could get new announcers lol.

Reactions: Bileur

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Brannstrom has arbitration rights so anything less than 1.5M I'm assuming he takes them to a judge. I'm ok with him for 2 y at sub 2M average and then either he's a core part of the team by they or expendable for one of the kids

I don't trust JBD/Thomson/Kleven and don't want the young team excuse next year.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Brannstrom has arbitration rights so anything less than 1.5M I'm assuming he takes them to a judge. I'm ok with him for 2 y at sub 2M average and then either he's a core part of the team by they or expendable for one of the kids

I don't trust JBD/Thomson/Kleven and don't want the young team excuse next year.

Brannstrom obviously needs to be back next season. He’s been very good in his role and has done everything asked of him in terms of improving defensively, in net front battles and becoming a PK mainstay.

His ability to move the puck would also be a great benefit to a young guy like JBD or Kleven.

In fact, playing Brannstrom with any of Hamonic, Kleven or JBD makes a far better and more versatile pair than any combination of Hamonic, Kleven and JBD.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Tough offseason coming up. Really wonder if Brannstrom's next contract is conditional on what happens with DeBrincat + Pinto? I like the way he's played lately but I wonder if the money they're going to give to DBC and Pinto is going to hinder their ability to give a pay raise to someone like Brann with other D prospects on ELCs available to them. They also need to overhaul the bottom 6 and that's going to cost $$. I hope they can find a way to keep him but the cap space is very thin for him to stay long term.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
It wouldn't bug me so much if he didn't also let it influence his color commentary. He'll point out any small mistake or missed pass from Branny and pass that off as objective observation. God I wish we could get new announcers lol.
Was he the cuck that mentioned Brann's penalties?
Guy should focus on our 2nd most in the league bench minors, stemming from all of our too many men penalties.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad