Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
Someone needs to explain why our sheltered, most unreliable D zone defensemen plays on the PK? I do not understand DJ

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
He PKs because he’s pretty good at it.
Over the last two years, he is 34th in the league in PP goals against per 60 (out of 153 guys with 120+ mins). This year, he is 67th out of 115 guys with 90+ mins.

He has had bad results lately, but for the most part has performed extremely well on the PK. He is better than the other guys at clearing the puck and is good at breaking up passing lanes. Most importantly, it allows us to distribute our minutes more evenly.

Brannstrom on the PK is not a problem at all imo, and so long as he's not matched up against top lines all night I see him performing pretty well defensively for the most part. Obviously he has his warts, not a perfect player, but his defence has gotten about as good as you could expect from him at this stage. Offense seems to be his new focus.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
He PKs because he’s pretty good at it.

Guess the sarcasm didnt bleed through.

I agree I just dont understand DJs logic of benching brannstrom and sheltering him because hes "not good defensively" then putting him on the pk

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I agree I just dont understand DJs logic of benching brannstrom and sheltering him because hes "not good defensively" then putting him on the pk
Playing 5 v 5 defence is a completely different animal vs Pk. On the pK it’s zonal with active stick, no need to try to break the cycle or defend the rush the same way.

Reactions: DJB

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

The PK is a highly coached system that doesn't require a lot of decision making on the part of the defending players. The job is pressure -> retrieve puck -> fire down the ice. It's not to dismiss his performance in the role but it's one of the more straightforward defensive assignments on the team.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Someone needs to explain why our sheltered, most unreliable D zone defensemen plays on the PK? I do not understand DJ
Yikes… someone has a hate for smaller players or just really bad sarcasm?

He’s played better in his own zone this year than our previously considered best defensive D in Zub… Zub has had an off year while Branny is rounding into form. And is still really young.

His over-reliance on Chabot when he is having an off year, and on Hamonic who just isnt a regular NHLer is perplexing.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The guy is just about the perfect #5 D for us right now. He:

- is a +2 on the season, so not getting caved
- effective on the PK
- can run a PP if you need him to do so
- has shown himself to be effective when needed to fill in as a top 4 D
- is cheap.

Unless he want s big raise or flat out wants out, why wouldn't you bring him back for the 3rd pair next year? Especially given that he is only 23 and hasn't yet hit the critical 200games for defenseman benchmark.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The PK is a highly coached system that doesn't require a lot of decision making on the part of the defending players. The job is pressure -> retrieve puck -> fire down the ice. It's not to dismiss his performance in the role but it's one of the more straightforward defensive assignments on the team.
Remember Gudbrannson and josh brown trying to penalty kill

When did DJ bench Branny?
Quite often? And he flat out scratches him

Reactions: playasRus

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
He is just good defensively and not only on PK.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Someone needs to watch more hockey or better understand the hockey they do watch

Edit: apologies if your post was sarcasm

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If they have any sense he will be in the lineup through the end of the season and, at minimum, increase the awareness around the league of his game so perhaps, if pressed, he can get us something in a trade.

I wish they would just let him play and be a good 3rd pairing guy for us.
Holden is done and should not be playing any games going forward. Brannstrom has a future and should be playing more games. JBD should be playing some games here too. I would like to see Thomson again as he looked VG in the few games he played earlier this season.

Reactions: DrEasy

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
The guy is just about the perfect #5 D for us right now. He:

- is a +2 on the season, so not getting caved
- effective on the PK
- can run a PP if you need him to do so
- has shown himself to be effective when needed to fill in as a top 4 D
- is cheap.

Unless he want s big raise or flat out wants out, why wouldn't you bring him back for the 3rd pair next year? Especially given that he is only 23 and hasn't yet hit the critical 200games for defenseman benchmark.

"BeCaUse hE's SmAll"

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Post by Jack Han on how small defenders can thrive, as well as the limitations they will always have to their game. Interesting as always.

Uhhh, isn't that charging "Note how Rasmus leaves his feet right before contact. This allow him to fully transfer his momentum into Klingberg’s chest and helps him land on-balance after his opponent spills onto the ice."

I also find it funny that he not so subtlety pumps up Dubas saying he'd have drafted K'andre Miller had NYR ( or presumably the other 5 teams ahead of the Leafs) not taken him.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
BoneStormMockup_1200x.jpg

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He has been noticeably good since last season. Hopefully we are seeing the begin of his talent coming together at the NHL level.

Been a proponent for a long time and think he can be a luxury on our 3rd line.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I wonder what his next contract will look like.

he signed at league min to show if he belongs or not and he is clearly a NHL player.

Maybe a 2 year bridge at 2.25M (Y1 1.5M, Y2, 3M) which would set him up for 3M QO which then the sens could trade him with Kleven ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad