GWT: EPL - Matchweek 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
United finished 3rd in ETHs first year and were in 2 cup finals.

Its usually good to wait a bit before judging managers.
Then he regressed and finished 8th after getting some serious cash for transfers. So he is making the team worse than the one he inherited and had to rebuild.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Then he regressed and finished 8th after getting some serious cash for transfers. So he is making the team worse than the one he inherited and had to rebuild.
Oh that squad still needs a shake up. Need to replace Maguire, Lindelöf, Casemiro just for starters. Far from a squad that can challenge for the title. INEOS is doing right moves to improve the squad. Yoro, de Ligt and Ugarte are most definitely good moves.

United finished 3rd in ETHs first year and were in 2 cup finals.

Its usually good to wait a bit before judging managers.
And as was said before, the table was already set for Slot. Quality squad with a base system that didn't need overhauling much. United are very much a "work-in-progress" team and to a degree, club still. The "open heart surgery" Rangnick talked about, is still on-going.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Slot inherited one of the best teams but he had to follow up one of the best managers who was beloved at the club. He also brought his own tactics and has had immediate success without really getting any transfer business done.
Not really relevant no coach would take inheriting ETH team over Slot’s. you and other people have criticized ETH which is justifiable but the comparison is completely off.

Reactions: maclean

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Will be interesting to see if he ends up more of a Dutch Goretzka or Dutch Bellingham.
He needs a lot of coaching in term of goal chance creation and tackling but he does possess a lethal long shot and top pace. Quite an exciting long term project.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Remember lads, EtH isn't Harry Potter.

Really? Did you not just see SEPH try to hype the EPL by talking about NT success? Not much weaker than the English NT’s chances to win a trophy :sarcasm:

Try taking it on the chin & with good humor, old sport. Makes this place more enjoyable to read.

PS - Pointing out that we were the second best team at the euros this summer isn’t a flex, just a statement of fact.
Second place is the first loser. Trust me, I know by experience (Gooner here).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Remember lads, EtH isn't Harry Potter.

Second place is the first loser. Trust me, I know by experience (Gooner here).

Well then, given the sorry state of English football in all of living memory, epl fans really should keep their mouths shut :sarcasm:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Not really relevant no coach would take inheriting ETH team over Slot’s. you and other people have criticized ETH which is justifiable but the comparison is completely off.

Agreed. Plenty of things ETH can be criticised for, but Pool was a legitimate title contender last year, complete with emerging youth talents

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well then, given the sorry state of English football in all of living memory, epl fans really should keep their mouths shut :sarcasm:
I can't considering how much of an amazing development league we've become for the rest of Europe. We're turning Kai Havertz into a 100+ million Euro player. Trossard is like 60+ million at this point. Timber already rebounded and is worth 80 million. Haaland for Team Norway is gotta be worth 200 million at this point.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I can't considering how much of an amazing development league we've become for the rest of Europe. We're turning Kai Havertz into a 100+ million Euro player. Trossard is like 60+ million at this point. Timber already rebounded and is worth 80 million. Haaland for Team Norway is gotta be worth 200 million at this point.

lol touche after half a decade the epl may have turned 80m Kai Havertz into a 100m man. A true credit to the quality of epl development :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Peen

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So now were saying McTominay, the sort of striker but not really attacking mid should've stayed because Case our CDM looks washed? Makes sense.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
ETH spent ridiculous sums. Bad sporting directors or not, he got a lot of players he wanted. What actual system is he trying to play? What does an ETH managed team look like?

I'm all for giving a guy a chance. But he's in year 3. If he had not have lucked into the FA Cup final (where they were outplayed in the Semi), would he be the manager now?

We should be seeing some progress. Winning the donkey cup and getting a FA Cup, while being drubbed at home frequently by rivals (and less) isn't good enough.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
So now were saying McTominay, the sort of striker but not really attacking mid should've stayed because Case our CDM looks washed? Makes sense.
I mean, it's at least an option on the bench. He knew that Ugarte wasn't fit. He basically said he might take a month to get up to speed with no preseason. But he's left it to a kid who barely shaves.

We also can talk about Liverpool having better players and that's true, but walking in after a legend (ETH did not), where the doors were starting to come off of the wagon, is a pretty stiff job for anyone. Certainly more than ETH could have done. If anything, ETH has had more money and room to do a lot, along with a built in, it's not his fault level that basically ANY other manger would not get. Spent a zillion dollars on shitty Dutch league players? Nope, not his fault, shitty owners. Players he does have? Not his fault, didn't get them. Hell, his best players on the squad by far are a kid who can't buy beer in the USA and Bruno, who was what? 3 managers ago? ETH showing a team on the up, playing consistently, with a system, playing in 3-4th, with some progress would probably be good enough to justify. But he has inmates running the asylum and looks like he has no plan.

It's a complete joke that anyone would defend him.

The only reason he's manager is because United weren't able to get someone they would have wanted more (because many people don't want the job) and because they don't have the stones to pull the trigger yet when he 'won a trophy or two'.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I keep hearing from pundits that ETH is running a 4-4-2.

If that’s true, that’s probably a big part of why they’re losing.

This isn’t 2005. 4-4-2 is way too open and leaves too many gaps for counterattacks.

He should just do the meta thing these days which is either a 4-2-3-1 or a fluid 3 at the back.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean, it's at least an option on the bench. He knew that Ugarte wasn't fit. He basically said he might take a month to get up to speed with no preseason. But he's left it to a kid who barely shaves.

We also can talk about Liverpool having better players and that's true, but walking in after a legend (ETH did not), where the doors were starting to come off of the wagon, is a pretty stiff job for anyone. Certainly more than ETH could have done. If anything, ETH has had more money and room to do a lot, along with a built in, it's not his fault level that basically ANY other manger would not get. Spent a zillion dollars on shitty Dutch league players? Nope, not his fault, shitty owners. Players he does have? Not his fault, didn't get them. Hell, his best players on the squad by far are a kid who can't buy beer in the USA and Bruno, who was what? 3 managers ago? ETH showing a team on the up, playing consistently, with a system, playing in 3-4th, with some progress would probably be good enough to justify. But he has inmates running the asylum and looks like he has no plan.

It's a complete joke that anyone would defend him.

The only reason he's manager is because United weren't able to get someone they would have wanted more (because many people don't want the job) and because they don't have the stones to pull the trigger yet when he 'won a trophy or two'.
Where was I defending ETH in my post?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
United were also hit with the worst injury situation which specifically hurt the defense and also at the worst possible times (outside the windows). It annot be ignored. When a clearly not fit Casemiro has to play as CB (poorly), you're f***ed.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
United were also hit with the worst injury situation which specifically hurt the defense and also at the worst possible times (outside the windows). It annot be ignored. When a clearly not fit Casemiro has to play as CB (poorly), you're f***ed.
Tottenham/Newcastle also had worse injuries last year and they finished above Man United. There are always excuses for Manchester United management. They are the richest club in England, they have the luxury to maneuver their way out by getting new players and run with large squad unlike 90% of other english clubs. The plans seem to be fully improvised every single week and I keep questioning myself what are they trying to achieve exactly? What is their identity? My only assumption is rebuilding the 2019 ajax team.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
It always amazes me how much hate and criticism ETH gets while being far more successful at United but Ange not only gets a pass, but praise from many fans both Spurs and non-Spurs alike. I realize that the standard at United is higher and rivals are going to enjoy crapping on United and not really pay attention to what is actually happening at Spurs, but ETH is a far better manager than Ange but gets 100x the criticism.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
It always amazes me how much hate and criticism ETH gets while being far more successful at United but Ange not only gets a pass, but praise from many fans both Spurs and non-Spurs alike. I realize that the standard at United is higher and rivals are going to enjoy crapping on United and not really pay attention to what is actually happening at Spurs, but ETH is a far better manager than Ange but gets 100x the criticism.
Ange did as expected last year with that squad. Ten Hag didn't.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I will also say this. You can shit on how Ange is or how Spurs faded. But his teams aren't scared. I think a lot of United supporters would be happier having Ange.

ETH manages the biggest club in England and one of the biggest clubs in all of football. To play counter attack or passive against some of the teams he plays that way against is a crime for all of the supporters. It's Manchester F'ing United. They're the big fish. To play that way, AT HOME, no less is just embarrassing. To get pushed around. Drubbed by rivals. Beaten by teams who turn up looking to not get drubbed in the past, at that stadium? A manager playing that way could not be manager of my club. You can say whatever you want, but it's just not the mentality that cuts it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad