GWT: EPL - Matchweek 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Ange did as expected last year with that squad. Ten Hag didn't.

5th and going out as early as he could in both Domestic Cups is as expected? I guess with how shit a manager he is the expectations should be super low but that shows how he gets no criticism at all because last year was a poor season from Spurs and Ange in particular.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
It always amazes me how much hate and criticism ETH gets while being far more successful at United but Ange not only gets a pass, but praise from many fans both Spurs and non-Spurs alike. I realize that the standard at United is higher and rivals are going to enjoy crapping on United and not really pay attention to what is actually happening at Spurs, but ETH is a far better manager than Ange but gets 100x the criticism.

Spurs went from 8th to 5th under Ange. That's what you call improving.

ManU was 6th the season before ETH took over and were 8th last year. That is what you call regressing.

Can I assist further?

Reactions: luiginb

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I think a big part of it is Spurs' buys are generally kind of budget second-tier options they're hoping to hit home on/hone through teamwork and coaching, as opposed to big-name, 100 mil types Utd are splashing for (while simultaneously crying poor). So expectations are obviously going to be elsewhere. That said, I also haven't really heard anyone non-Spurs singing the praises of Ange lately, so I'm not sure that part holds up either. And in cases where it is true, as Chimaera says, they're at least playing an attractive brand of football and that will always give hope

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
5th and going out as early as he could in both Domestic Cups is as expected? I guess with how shit a manager he is the expectations should be super low but that shows how he gets no criticism at all because last year was a poor season from Spurs and Ange in particular.

ManU hasn't even been as relevant as Leicester the last 10 years. Sad, really.

ETH is the most fearful manager I have ever seen at ManU, he plays cowardly football.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The cup results are poor, but 5th in the league was a solid result given where they were at.

Coming off a season in which they finished 8th and then they lost their striker who has been leading them in goals for the last decade, I think 5th is a really solid result.

The bigger issue isn’t the position, it’s how they got there. They had 26 points in the first 10 (99 point pace), but then only pulled 1 points from the next 5 games. Then they got things back on track and scored 33 points in the next 16 games (78 point pace), but then again collapsed and lost 5 of 7 to close the season out.

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
Good to get the win but Newcastle has a lot to be worked on still with the same problems persisting over the first 3 games.
We'll take the win because we will find incredibly dumb ways to lose later in the season.

Plus my brother is a Spurs fan.

Reactions: Sad People

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It always amazes me how much hate and criticism ETH gets while being far more successful at United but Ange not only gets a pass, but praise from many fans both Spurs and non-Spurs alike. I realize that the standard at United is higher and rivals are going to enjoy crapping on United and not really pay attention to what is actually happening at Spurs, but ETH is a far better manager than Ange but gets 100x the criticism.
Spurs play a clear type of football, which is rather exciting to watch. United plays some putrid content.
They also have spent WAY less than United has. ETH is also in his 3rd year.

And yet Spurs finished higher.

Gee, I wonder why Ange gets more positive reviews !

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Tottenham/Newcastle also had worse injuries last year and they finished above Man United. There are always excuses for Manchester United management. They are the richest club in England, they have the luxury to maneuver their way out by getting new players and run with large squad unlike 90% of other english clubs. The plans seem to be fully improvised every single week and I keep questioning myself what are they trying to achieve exactly? What is their identity? My only assumption is rebuilding the 2019 ajax team.
No they didn't.

Ange did as expected last year with that squad. Ten Hag didn't.
Yeah, no United fan expected that team to be able to win the FA Cup, let alone beat City in the final.

Reactions: MM917

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Ange also says mate a lot so people like him and won't be as harsh on him. ETH can learn from that.

Reactions: MM917

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I'm not English so I don't give a damn about cups. I have my gripes with Ange (basically because he has the perfect squad to play 3 at the back and Spurs are putrid on set piece) but bringing that squad last year higher that 5th would have taken a miracle worker, like Emery at Villa.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
ETH's not unlikeable, hes just Dutch.
I mean, I like Slot. And Virgil. Cody Gakpo / Ryan Gravenberch look like solid dudes?
Ange gets a pass because his team plays some good football and it looks like there is plan in place.

EtH looks lost tactically and the squad has yet to improve despite the money they are putting into it.

That's the thing. I don't think Ange will get a pass if they're getting thumped by rivals soon. But he's at least putting a plan in place. We kinda know what a Ange players looks like. We kinda know what he wants to do tactically. Will it work? Eh, who knows. But having a plan gives him some runway.

Reactions: robertmac43

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I mean, I like Slot. And Virgil. Cody Gakpo / Ryan Gravenberch look like solid dudes?
Not sure if you got the reference. ;)

Ange gets a pass because his team plays some good football and it looks like there is plan in place.

EtH looks lost tactically and the squad has yet to improve despite the money they are putting into it.
I mean he did use a completely different tactic in the FA Cup final and very successfully...

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

That's the thing. I don't think Ange will get a pass if they're getting thumped by rivals soon. But he's at least putting a plan in place. We kinda know what a Ange players looks like. We kinda know what he wants to do tactically. Will it work? Eh, who knows. But having a plan gives him some runway.
Having a plan also jsut puts him in a better place then most of the other struggling clubs lol.

Not sure if you got the reference. ;)

I mena he did use a completely different tactic in the FA Cup final and very successfully...
Winning a one off game is a very different thing then finding success over a 38 game season..

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I know but we know he's got more than one tactic in his pocket. And as I suggested earlier in the thread, I wonder if we'll see that used again, especially in away games.
You would hope at this level he has more than one tactic lol.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Yea I think that’s key. It’s clear what Ange is trying to do and the type of players he’s trying to recruit.

Personally, I’m skeptical it’ll work in a league like the PL, but he’s clearly got a plan and is following it.

With ETH, I’ve seen 3 full summer windows and 2 winter windows and I still don’t know what a typical ETH player looks like (aside from having some Dutch connection) or what his ideal setup looks like.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean he did use a completely different tactic in the FA Cup final and very successfully...
So what does that tactic look like? Are they buying players to do what they would want? Is it feasible over a full season? Are they just a cup team who got lucky with draws and results? Like, I've seen a tactic. Wait for other teams to come on, try and counter attack and play like you're a minnow, even at home. But what does that mean for a full season?

My issue is what he's trying seems to change or waffle every other week, or every couple months. Or shit, even in some matches, they do something, but don't really look like they're committed to it so they change it. Sometimes the front will press, but disorganized. Sometimes the wingers have to track back and provide assistance, other times they're stagnant. Beyond being players he worked with, what exactly is a ETH player? Sure, the front office did him no favors, but even when players are bought, he would stick with past guys and leave others out.

It's not year one. It's year three. Sure, management around him is changing, and he's being forced to adapt, but if he's got the second most trophies, what exactly is a ETH team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad