Elias Pettersson vs. Auston Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Matthews by his draft + 3 had 111g/205pts already

Pettersson has 55g/132pts

matthews literally already had MORE than twice the goals ha

a couple months ago matthews was 11 petersson 21 on these very boards
jordan binnington playing like an absolute sieve doesnt change that

matthews now, matthews future. pettersson = marner though
how can a guy who just had 47g in 70 games have a bad contract? thats beyond dumb. pettersson is a year away from making 10+ for 28g/66pts so good luck with that one bud

also matthews doesnt make everyone around him better? look up zack hymans stats...comments like that are just ignorant and borderline trolling. This is why ill be staying up and cheering the canucks collapse tomorrow
Your insecurities are showing.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
You just listed everthing that Marner has when he's on. Minus the blistering shot that Pettersson has (Marner has a pretty good shot too, just doesn't use it a ton, no where near as hard or as accurate as Pettersson however). Marner also plays in every situation, something that EP doesn't do, as far as I'm aware he doesn't kill penalties. He might in the future? Not sure.

EDIT:
Marner 2:12 SH TOI/ game
Pettersson 0:02 SH TOI/ game
Ever considered that maybe Marner plays PK because your team is so top heavy? Maybe because your bottom 6 sucks so bad and thats why your team can't make it past the first round? I'd hope Marner does everything and more being a winger who gets paid nearly McDavid money.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
To suggest they are on par defensively is friggin hilarious.

Basically your whole post is making excuses for Matthews. You are out of your element to suggest Matthews is a tier above EP. Leafs fans need to be objective.
to suggest they aren't a par defensively is ridiculous.
their defesive point shares are extremely close.
Not to mention that FauxCentre on Twitter who is part of the analytics team for the Kingston Frontenacs (who i would assume has resources available that most people wouldn't) had them on par defensively as well.
EXbtPVYU8AAd5pq (1).jpeg
EXNr3koVcAIQXKW.jpeg

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
meh we probably still lose. I don't have hope for the team until they actually win a round. Damned with all these supposed advanced stats that are cherry picked by fans when convenient.

My gripe with this poll is that HFboards accepts Matthews and Eichel as close players yet EP edges out Matthews in this poll and Jack Eichel blows Pettersson out of the water in the recent poll done comparing them. Classic.
typical HF but you know, there isn't any anti bias on this forum :laugh:

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Depends on what contract Pettersson gets honestly. If he gets an 8 year deal around ~10m per season i'd go with him, if we're talking about the exact same contract i'd go with Matthews.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
meh we probably still lose. I don't have hope for the team until they actually win a round. Damned with all these supposed advanced stats that are cherry picked by fans when convenient.

My gripe with this poll is that HFboards accepts Matthews and Eichel as close players yet EP edges out Matthews in this poll and Jack Eichel blows Pettersson out of the water in the recent poll done comparing them. Classic.
It's not the same people voting though. Fan bases having a larger/smaller number of HFmembers will always skew polls in that way almost by default without adding any additional variables.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
First off I want to acknowledge Kappy, 6ix, and St. Blue as finally abandoning the Leafs and becoming ‘neutral fans.’
Going forward I think it really depends on what you value in a center. Matthews is easily the better goal scorer while Pettersson is a better playmaker and two way center. I voted EP because I prefer the two way centers and he has stepped up big time in his first playoffs just like he did in the SHL.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'd take EP.

Much better playmaker which I think is more important for a center.

Also, I doubt EP will hold his team hostage and take a ridiculous contract like matthews did.

How is he a much better playmaker? Their production in that regard is roughly equal and Matthews is a much better goalscorer. This attempt to pigeonhole Matthews as a one trick pony has been persistent since his rookie season.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
First off I want to acknowledge Kappy, 6ix, and St. Blue as finally abandoning the Leafs and becoming ‘neutral fans.’
Going forward I think it really depends on what you value in a center. Matthews is easily the better goal scorer while Pettersson is a better playmaker and two way center. I voted EP because I prefer the two way centers and he has stepped up big time in his first playoffs just like he did in the SHL.
Matthews is a very strong two way center in his own right.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
He definitely improved his two way play this year. But I don’t think he’s as good as Pettersson. Anyways both are franchise centers so it’s really splitting hairs to pick one imo.
IMO there roughly on the same tier. Matthews is better offensively, Pettersson is better through transition and they are roughly equal defensively. I prefer Matthews personally but to each of their own.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
to suggest they aren't a par defensively is ridiculous.
their defesive point shares are extremely close.
Not to mention that FauxCentre on Twitter who is part of the analytics team for the Kingston Frontenacs (who i would assume has resources available that most people wouldn't) had them on par defensively as well.View attachment 365397 View attachment 365398

Its funny how you are actually using point shares as a testament to suggest they are on par defensively. Hilarious desperation.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
How is he a much better playmaker? Their production in that regard is roughly equal and Matthews is a much better goalscorer. This attempt to pigeonhole Matthews as a one trick pony has been persistent since his rookie season.

The gap between their playmaking is roughly equal to their goal scoring gap. Pettersson is easily a much better playmaker.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
To suggest they are on par defensively is friggin hilarious.

Basically your whole post is making excuses for Matthews. You are out of your element to suggest Matthews is a tier above EP. Leafs fans need to be objective.

Show me one statistic where Pettersson blows Matthews out of the water. I showed my list, he showed very accurate statistics as well. If you could look at it with an open mind you would see that the gap defensively is almost non existence. While the gap offensively is significantly larger. While Pettersson is catching up, almost a ppg, he isn’t there yet.

Last edited:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Ever considered that maybe Marner plays PK because your team is so top heavy? Maybe because your bottom 6 sucks so bad and thats why your team can't make it past the first round? I'd hope Marner does everything and more being a winger who gets paid nearly McDavid money.
Ever consider that Marner is actually a good PKer? In the OHL he was an all situations guy logging huge minutes for the London Knights who won everything on this planet a junior team can win and Mitch won every major award in juniors as well. Leafs have plenty of PK talent. Mitch asked to be a PKer.

Also, I don't know why people keep throwing the first round exits in the Leafs fans faces. If we're being honest here, had the Canucks faced the same situation as the Leafs had in the teams they went up against, Canucks would've lost in those firsts rounds as well and it wouldn't have been particularly close. They've gone up against weak ass goaltending these playoffs so far. Granted the teams they faced do tend to be more defensively oriented but each of them outside of Lehner had been a sieve in net.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
As for the marner vs Pettersson debate. I take ep40 here. Centers are far more valuable. That being said I do see Marner being a 100pts guy that outproduces Pettersson throughout his career.

Matthews > Pettersson > Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad