Elias Pettersson vs. Auston Matthews

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I voted Pettersson, it is close though. It would be a complete oversight to ignore how Pettersson has played these playoffs. GWG last night, 18pts in his first post season thus far. Which is only one less than Matthews has in his entire career. Which IMO tips the vote towards EP.

Pettersson first 2 years compared to Matthews. I think there is a case to be made he is slightly ahead.

Regular season:
Pettersson 132 points in 139 games.
Matthews 132 points in 144 games

Post Season:
Pettersson
18 points in 15 games
Matthews
7 points in 13 games

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Its funny how you are actually using point shares as a testament to suggest they are on par defensively. Hilarious desperation.
Feel free to share your statistics that meet the eye tests. I posted my stats off of a credible site and all those players meet the eye tests for their offensive and defensive point shares. So far, I've seen nothing of actual substance from Canucks fans other than some BS narrative that Pettersson is so much better at defense than Auston, while showing no actual number of the two or their peers. I want to see what the defensive numbers look like for the top guys in the league and where Matthews and Pettersson stack up. Go ahead. Do the work and post it.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
As for the marner vs Pettersson debate. I take ep40 here. Centers are far more valuable. That being said I do see Marner being a 100pts guy that outproduces Pettersson throughout his career.

Matthews > Pettersson > Marner

Agreed.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Super close. Before the playoffs, I would have said Matthews, but EP has been a dominant force in these playoffs and he's got a proven track record for being a big time playoff performer, something Matthews has struggled with before.

Both are definitely in the same tier. I'm a canucks fan, so I'll take Petey. If your a leafs fan, you'll take Matthews, it's simple as that.

Both are going to be world class players if not already and were going to see a lot of great things from them for years to come, hopefully Petey does it more :)

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I think Matthews is a bit better at the moment but I think Pettersson has more room to grow. I voted Pettersson because the question was “Who would you take?” Not “Who’s better?”

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I don't get why Matthews is being shaded for the playoffs Pettersson is having. Matthews was far and away Toronto's best player against CBJ. Not his fault the roster was constructed by a guy that is trying to build a figure/ice dancing team.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
lol ppl stop mentioning Marner. Marner is Johnny Hockey except a few years younger. They're overrated and overpaid frail targets for the playoffs. Neither should be mentioned in any thread that doesn't pertain to players that need a reality check, or a personal trainer to incorporate some protein into their diets.

Reactions: Grumpy1

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I voted Pettersson, it is close though. It would be a complete oversight to ignore how Pettersson has played these playoffs. GWG last night, 18pts in his first post season thus far. Which is only one less than Matthews has in his entire career. Which IMO tips the vote towards EP.

Pettersson first 2 years compared to Matthews. I think there is a case to be made he is slightly ahead.

Regular season:
Pettersson 132 points in 139 games.
Matthews 132 points in 144 games

Post Season:
Pettersson
18 points in 15 games
Matthews
7 points in 13 games

Matthews first 2 seasons were his D+1 and D+2. Pettersson D+2 and D+3.

Pettersson's playoffs certainly are impressive though.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Pettersson has done more with lesser offensive supporting cast.
You must be out to lunch if you think he's done more with less. Nylander has been the best linemate Matthews has had outside the 30 or so games he got with Marner this year. Nylander's best career season with Matthews full time has been 61 points. He came up as a rookie together with Auston and he was on Auston's line while playing through his snake bitten hold out season last year.

Outside of Nylander and a little bit of Marner. Matthews has played the vast majority of his NHL games with guys like Kapanen, Hyman, Johnsson and Marleau. None of whom come anywhere near players like Brock Boeser or JT Miller who had 72 points in 69 games while playing majority of his minutes with EP.

EP also has had 22 points on the PP as a rookie and 24 points this year in 3 fewer games than Auston. AM in his first 3 NHL seasons accumulated have 21, 13, 20 PPP. Leafs do have better players on the team compared to what the Canucks have however, Auston has almost never had the luxury riding shotgun with the top players. He's practically carried every line he's ever been on.

I can easily argue that this season alone, EP wasn't even the best Canuck forward. I think JT Miller contributed arguably more to the team than EP did. Even these playoffs he's been a huge catalyst. *I know Markstrom is your MVP.

Auston has been the best Leafs forward and the guy who does nothing but score clutch goals and carrry the team for 3 out of the 4 years he's been on the team. His only down year was last year when he was a beast offensively but lacked game to game consistency and was atrocious on defense. Had a ton to do with injuries because he started off the year absolutely beastly and was a ghost of himself after coming back from his concussion/ shoulder issue or whatever it was. Not to mention he had to carry Nylander also who couldn't hit a soccer net with a tennis ball from 5 feet out.

Last edited:

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Matthews without a doubt. I’d take Pettersson over Marner though.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Matthews first 2 seasons were his D+1 and D+2. Pettersson D+2 and D+3.

Pettersson's playoffs certainly are impressive though.
On top of that he's using raw points while not looking at the league wide scoring during those times.

In 2016-2017 (Matthews' first year) only one player hit 100 points and the highest ppg during that season was 1.22 In 2018-2019 (EP40's first year) we had 6 100 point scorers and a ppg of 1.22 would've been 8th league wide. In terms of ranks league wide AM34 was 29th in ppg with EP40 at 45th. Their Sophomore years are much more comparable where Matthews was around 21st in ppg while Pettersson was 25th.

So looking at just raw points isn't a good argument for Pettersson imo. This playoff run he's on is definitely impressive and a sight to see. He's a force out there every night

Reactions: Sundinisagod

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Ever consider that Marner is actually a good PKer? In the OHL he was an all situations guy logging huge minutes for the London Knights who won everything on this planet a junior team can win and Mitch won every major award in juniors as well. Leafs have plenty of PK talent. Mitch asked to be a PKer.

Also, I don't know why people keep throwing the first round exits in the Leafs fans faces. If we're being honest here, had the Canucks faced the same situation as the Leafs had in the teams they went up against, Canucks would've lost in those firsts rounds as well and it wouldn't have been particularly close. They've gone up against weak ass goaltending these playoffs so far. Granted the teams they faced do tend to be more defensively oriented but each of them outside of Lehner had been a sieve in net.
Sure, not like they faced the reigning cup champs or anything, and also every series they've been in the team they face plays both of their goalies. So if you want to use the "bad goalie" excuse then man I guess every team the Canucks faced had bad goalies.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
As for the marner vs Pettersson debate. I take ep40 here. Centers are far more valuable. That being said I do see Marner being a 100pts guy that outproduces Pettersson throughout his career.

Matthews > Pettersson > Marner
Yeah outproduces in the regular season sure, thats where all the leafs players excel. Don't talk about playoffs though thats uncharted territory for leafs fans.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Sure, not like they faced the reigning cup champs or anything, and also every series they've been in the team they face plays both of their goalies. So if you want to use the "bad goalie" excuse then man I guess every team the Canucks faced had bad goalies.
16 game sample size vs 282 game sample size. Yea okay.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
In the OHL he was an all situations guy logging huge minutes for the London Knights who won everything on this planet a junior team can win and Mitch won every major award in juniors as well. Leafs have plenty of PK talent. Mitch asked to be a PKer.

so what???
Pettersson and Vaxjo in the SHL won everything you can possibly win and Pettersson won every major award given.

how the hell is that relevant.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Let me know when Pettersson scores at 30+ goals because he's never done and it's something Matthews got every season with Toronto and scores at least 47 goals.
At least 47 goals? He’s only scored 47 goals once. I’m not saying Matthews isn’t a good choice here but you’re disregarding anything that Pettersson is better at and only focusing on something that Matthews is better at. That’s a horrible way to try to have a proper conversation

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Yeah outproduces in the regular season sure, thats where all the leafs players excel. Don't talk about playoffs though thats uncharted territory for leafs fans.
Let's see. Binnington .800% (3 games), Allen .920% (3 games), Stalock .897% (4 games), Lehner .940% (4 games), Fleury .903% (1 game). Cumulative save % of all the goalies Canucks have faced this playoffs. 0.898%.

vs.

Korpisalo .956% (4 games), Mrzlikins .946% (1 game), Rask .915% (14 games), Holtby .925% (6 games). Cumulative save % of all goalies Leafs have faced in the playoffs. 0.927%.

Hockey is a team sport. As great as EP is, they've played some suspect goalies. Leafs have gotten shut down by quality defensive teams with capable goaltending.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
so what???
Pettersson and Vaxjo in the SHL won everything you can possibly win and Pettersson won every major award given.

how the hell is that relevant.
Because Pettersson has never killed penalties whereas Marner was an all situation guy. I swear man, some people don't know wtf they're reading and want to jump into conversations without a clue.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
For me it's close (at the moment) but clear. Elias Pettersson is just a much bigger gamer than Matthews. What he's doing in his first post-season appearance is remarkable, and I think he's much more tenacious than Matthews too.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad