Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This thread is literally filled with posts stating Petterson AINEC, "if you don't think it's Pettersson, you're nuts". And yet Leafs fans are not objective? What bubble are you living in friend?

Facts: Matthews blows Pettersson out of the water offensively and in the dot. Pettersson edges out Matthews on defense (even thought it's actually pretty close from the stats I posted). It's fine if you want to take Petey. You can have your preference. But don't accuse Leafs fans of choosing their guy.
Matthews is a fairly one dimensional player on a bad contract, Pettersson brings a much more rounded game and will likely get a better contract, Pettersson makes everyone around him better. Matthews does not

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
This thread is literally filled with posts stating Petterson AINEC, "if you don't think it's Pettersson, you're nuts". And yet Leafs fans are not objective? What bubble are you living in friend?

Facts: Matthews blows Pettersson out of the water offensively and in the dot. Pettersson edges out Matthews on defense (even thought it's actually pretty close from the stats I posted).

I have yet to see any Canucks fan say EP being a tier above, so you are living in a bubble here.

Given the fact that EP has amassed or shown more point production in one playoff season than Matthews has in 3 years totalled while playing far less, the blow him out offensively statement does not hold much water here.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews by his draft + 3 had 111g/205pts already

Pettersson has 55g/132pts

matthews literally already had MORE than twice the goals ha

a couple months ago matthews was 11 petersson 21 on these very boards
jordan binnington playing like an absolute sieve doesnt change that

matthews now, matthews future. pettersson = marner though

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Matthews by his draft + 3 had 111g/205pts already

Pettersson has 55g/132pts

matthews literally already had MORE than twice the goals ha

a couple months ago matthews was 11 petersson 21 on these very boards
jordan binnington playing like an absolute sieve doesnt change that

matthews now, matthews future. pettersson = marner though

You posted this garbage before and got debunked.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews is a fairly one dimensional player on a bad contract, Pettersson brings a much more rounded game and will likely get a better contract, Pettersson makes everyone around him better. Matthews does not

how can a guy who just had 47g in 70 games have a bad contract? thats beyond dumb. pettersson is a year away from making 10+ for 28g/66pts so good luck with that one bud

also matthews doesnt make everyone around him better? look up zack hymans stats...comments like that are just ignorant and borderline trolling. This is why ill be staying up and cheering the canucks collapse tomorrow

lawrence

May 19, 2012
up to page 4, I am not surprised of the responses.

to be fair it's true Matthews on a stats point of view is superior to Elias Pettersson. a lot of players are actually. Anyone who does hockey pool will certainly choose him over Petey. Pettersson finished 23rd in scoring, and he wasn't even a point per game. Which as a Canuck fan, I am actually fine with.

Matthews truly did lite it up he would have probably scored 50 goals this season, which is also true. No argument here.
However despite 6 points in 5 playoff games, I don't see the drive in him, like I see in Pettersson and Horvat. Heck it feels like Matthews just want his contract to expire and sign with Arizona asap. Now at the same time, it can't be one guy carrying the team, Marner and Nylander are also to blame as it seems like their core didn't have the level of heart compared to Columbus, and sure as hell doesn't even look even as close to the drive Pettersson and Horvat is displaying. Until then, Matthews is just another playoff flop.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
We're going to ignore 4 seasons of elite offensive production from Matthews for 16 playoff games eh? Okay. At the end of the day, Matthews = 0 cups and Pettersson will still have 0 cups in 3 days time.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
up to page 4, I am not surprised of the responses.

to be fair it's true Matthews on a stats point of view is superior to Elias Pettersson. a lot of players are actually. Anyone who does hockey pool will certainly choose him over Petey. Pettersson finished 23rd in scoring, and he wasn't even a point per game. Which as a Canuck fan, I am actually fine with.

Matthews truly did lite it up he would have probably scored 50 goals this season, which is also true. No argument here.
However despite 6 points in 5 playoff games, I don't see the drive in him, like I see in Pettersson and Horvat. Heck it feels like Matthews just want his contract to expire and sign with Arizona asap. Now at the same time, it can't be one guy carrying the team, Marner and Nylander are also to blame as it seems like their core didn't have the level of heart compared to Columbus, and sure as hell doesn't even look even as close to the drive Pettersson and Horvat is displaying. Until then, Matthews is just another playoff flop.
The only time in Matthews career you can say he was a disappointment in the playoffs was in 2018 since he only had 2 points in 7 games against Boston. Although that was after coming back from multiple injuries in the regular season because he only played in 62 games. However in the 2017 playoffs against Washington he had 5 points in 6 games and in the 2019 playoffs against Boston he had 6 points in 7 games.

Also if Matthews really wanted to play in Arizona why didn't he just become an RFA after last season and hope that the Coyotes would give him a huge offer sheet of 7 years and $15 million AAV as an example that he would be willing to sign. According to Elliotte Friedman the Coyotes were planning to do something like that if Matthews had become an RFA on July 1, 2019.

Friedman: Coyotes eyed Auston Matthews offer sheet before extension

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
You posted this garbage before and got debunked.
Did someone debunk reality? Damn that's pretty cool. Are they David Blaine? Pettersson came into the league a year later and had a better start to his NHL career. From draft till end of age 21 season if we compare totals. Matthews has literally doubled Pettersson in goals and has a slightly higher PPG despite coming into the league as an 18/19 year old on lottery team and playing with 2 rookie linemates all year.

For all the people claiming that Pettersson makes his linemates better while Matthews doesn't. Matthews carried rookie Nylander, Brown, Hyman. Johnsson, Kapanen and Marleau on his wings for 3 years before being gifted Marner for half the year finally when Keefe took over. He's literally been playing with trash and Nylander his whole career and Willy was a dud for one of those seasons and a rookie for the other. Pettersson has had JT Miller, Brock Boeser, Josh Leivo, Goldobin and Loui Eriksson in his first two seasons.

JT Miller was over PPG this year and IMO was the most impactful player for the Canucks in the regular season and these playoffs (outside of Markstrom). Matthews never got to play with that caliber of player in his first two seasons. Petey never had a rookie on his wing for an extended period of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sundinisagod

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Matthews, a super rare scorer and a center at that.

Petterson is also really good but as it stands right now i cant take him over matthews.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Did someone debunk reality? Damn that's pretty cool. Are they David Blaine?

Yes because EP = Marner is such a realistic conclusion to the nonsense he posted.

We're going to ignore 4 seasons of elite offensive production from Matthews for 16 playoff games eh? Okay. At the end of the day, Matthews = 0 cups and Pettersson will still have 0 cups in 3 days time.

4 seasons of elite offensive production? The guy finally put up 80 points once in a season.

Funny how Leaf fans keep calling EP a 65 point player when they completely ignore the fact that EP has not played a complete 82 game season yet.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
so I'd like everyone voting for EP based on playoff stats explain to me why they picked Eichel over EP.

Can you lot at least be a little f***ing consistent?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Did someone debunk reality? Damn that's pretty cool. Are they David Blaine? Pettersson came into the league a year later and had a better start to his NHL career. From draft till end of age 21 season if we compare totals. Matthews has literally doubled Pettersson in goals and has a slightly higher PPG despite coming into the league as an 18/19 year old on lottery team and playing with 2 rookie linemates all year.

For all the people claiming that Pettersson makes his linemates better while Matthews doesn't. Matthews carried rookie Nylander, Brown, Hyman. Johnsson, Kapanen and Marleau on his wings for 3 years before being gifted Marner for half the year finally when Keefe took over. He's literally been playing with trash and Nylander his whole career and Willy was a dud for one of those seasons and a rookie for the other. Pettersson has had JT Miller, Brock Boeser, Josh Leivo, Goldobin and Loui Eriksson in his first two seasons.

JT Miller was over PPG this year and IMO was the most impactful player for the Canucks in the regular season and these playoffs (outside of Markstrom). Matthews never got to play with that caliber of player in his first two seasons. Petey never had a rookie on his wing for an extended period of time.
Besides Matthews finally getting the chance this season to play with Marner at 5v5 after Babcock was fired, I think it's fair to say that Hyman has become a much better player compared to his rookie season. So I have no problems seeing a line of Matthews, Marner, and Hyman.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Yes because EP = Marner is such a realistic conclusion to the nonsense he posted.

4 seasons of elite offensive production? The guy finally put up 80 points once in a season.

Funny how Leaf fans keep calling EP a 65 point player when they completely ignore the fact that EP has not played a complete 82 game season yet.

Pettersson is a 78 point player per 82. I never claimed he was a 65 point player. Matthews however averages 46 goals per 82 and Pettersson averages 34 goals per 82 (nothing to scoff at).

As for Marner = Pettersson, two completely different style of players and I would dump Marner for Pettersson without thinking twice. When Mitch is on his game though, he runs circles around Pettersson, but man oh man the kid is frustrating as hell to watch sometimes. Pettersson is steady. If there's one thing I would give him credit for over the Leafs players Matty/ Mitch is that game to game consistency, Petey shows up and rarely has off games. Matthews was like that in his first and half of second season and for the most part this season he was very consistent. However last year and half of his second season, whether it be injuries causing him to be timid or him not being healthy enough when he came back, he was f***ing lackluster.

When on their game though, I would easily take Marner or Matthews over Petterrsson. With Marner, you just never know when he's actually going to be on and when he's going to make a brainless bone headed play trying to be fancy.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I picked EP over Eichel for the record.

I have all three players on the same tier.
that's fair. I'm talking about hfboards in general. If you look at my posts you'll see I have gripes against many Leafs fans as a Leaf fan (OMG A BIG NAME IS ON THE MARKET WAS BORN IN A TORONTO HOSPITAL WOOH LET'S SIGN HIM BOYS AND ALL ARE WOES WILL GO AWAY!!!, etc.) but sometimes hfboards collectively is a little ridiculous towards Leafs players as well. I consider myself more reasonable than most and call out bull shit wherever I see it.

It makes no sense to say Eichel and Matthews are very close and then ..yea.

Reactions: Petrus

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Pettersson is a 78 point player per 82. I never claimed he was a 65 point player. Matthews however averages 46 goals per 82 and Pettersson averages 34 goals per 82 (nothing to scoff at).

As for Marner = Pettersson, two completely different style of players and I would dump Marner for Pettersson without thinking twice. When Mitch is on his game though, he runs circles around Pettersson, but man oh man the kid is frustrating as hell to watch sometimes. Pettersson is steady. If there's one thing I would give him credit for over the Leafs players Matty/ Mitch is that game to game consistency, Petey shows up and rarely has off games. Matthews was like that in his first and half of second season and for the most part this season he was very consistent. However last year and half of his second season, whether it be injuries causing him to be timid or him not being healthy enough when he came back, he was f***ing lackluster.

When on their game though, I would easily take Marner and Matthews over Petterrsson.

I was referring to other Leaf fans who keep acting like he is a regular 65 point player when that is obviously not the case when hes performing over a PPG in tougher competitions.

When Marner is on his game, he would still not touch a regular Pettersson.

Pettersson at his best would blow Marner at this best out of the water. Pettersson is like a lankier Datsyuk out there.

I would definitely not trade Pettersson for Matthews, Marner or any Leafs player. Seeing him play is a treat to watch. An elite franchise center.

Either way, it will be fun to watch Matthews and EP play for the next 10 years or so. Exciting times to see special players play.

that's fair. I'm talking about hfboards in general. If you look at my posts you'll see I have gripes against many Leafs fans as a Leaf fan (OMG A BIG NAME IS ON THE MARKET WAS BORN IN A TORONTO HOSPITAL WOOH LET'S SIGN HIM BOYS AND ALL ARE WOES WILL GO AWAY!!!, etc.) but sometimes hfboards collectively is a little ridiculous towards Leafs players as well. I consider myself more reasonable than most and call out bull shit wherever I see it.

It makes no sense to say Eichel and Matthews are very close and then ..yea.

I do look at your posts, and I have nothing to criticize you for. Infact it was nice to see a Leafs fan actually defend a Canucks player in another thread, so props to you on that.

I agree, it does seem weird seeing how inconsistent the results are collectively.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I was referring to other Leaf fans who keep acting like he is a regular 65 point player when that is obviously not the case when hes performing over a PPG in tougher competitions.

Pettersson at his best would blow Marner at this best out of the water. Pettersson is like a lankier Datsyuk out there.

I would definitely not trade Pettersson for Matthews, Marner or any Leafs player. Seeing him play is a treat to watch. An elite franchise center.

Either way, it will be fun to watch Matthews and EP play for the next 10 years or so. Exciting times to see special players p;ay.

Marner at his best plays PK, PP, 22+ minutes a night. Something Petey doesn't do. Marner at his best rivals probably some of the best in the entire NHL. Just Marner is not at that level often. Pettersson's best isn't at Marner's level. Pettersson's average is better than Marner's average however. Marner needs to really work on his game to game consistency.

With that said, in an ideal world I think peak Marner (if he ever gets his head out of his ass and continues to work defensively like he did when he was in the OHL) would be better than peak Pettersson. Better offensively and arguably on par defensively. Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
They’re close, argument can be made for either. Matthews is the stronger goal scorer.

Petey a better play maker, and play driver. Also better defensively.

Peteys compete level is high, from what he’s shown so far is impressive.

That’s not to say Matthews doesn’t shoe the same next year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marner at his best plays PK, PP, 22+ minutes a night. Something Petey doesn't do. Marner at his best rivals probably some of the best in the entire NHL. Just Marner is not at that level often. Pettersson's best isn't at Marner's level. Pettersson's average is better than Marner's average however. Marner needs to really work on his game to game consistency.

With that said, in an ideal world I think peak Marner (if he ever gets his head out of his ass and continues to work defensively like he did when he was in the OHL) would be better than peak Pettersson. Better offensively and arguably on par defensively. Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world.
During the 2018-19 season we saw Marner get 94 points in 82 games played. So do you think he will come close to that amount of points ever again or can he possibly be a 100 point player in the future?

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019

Either way, it will be fun to watch Matthews and EP play for the next 10 years or so. Exciting times to see special players play.

I do look at your posts, and I have nothing to criticize you for. Infact it was nice to see a Leafs fan actually defend a Canucks player in another thread, so props to you on that.

I agree, it does seem weird seeing how inconsistent the results are collectively.

thanks :) I lost my liking privilege but yea I agree. It'll definitely be exciting to watch this new crop of dominant forwards, including but not limited to Point, Kucherov, Mackinnon, Rantanen, Draisaitl, Marchand, Pettersson and Matthews. Tides have completely turned from the previous crop we'd see on the top 10 points in a season list. Feels weird

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
Pettersson's best isn't at Marner's level.

Well. I don't say that there is a big gab between them when they are both playing their very best hockey, at least not right now, but to say that Marner somehow has a higher level than Pettersson in general is a bit of a stretch if you ask me. What's so special about Pettersson is that he excels at every aspect of the game. Shot, playmaking, speed, hands, defence, iq, mental game. He pretty much has no weakness except for his size at the moment. And since he is 100% of the time a top focus of the opposing team he needs to fill out a bit more and find a way to overcome constant pressure and bully from shutdown players. He cannot be completely neutralised since he draws so many penelties and is such a great force on the PP but still.

He is on his way to overcome that already. This playoff is proof of that to some degree, even though he has been "stopped" a few games here and there.

If he can overcome this "only" weakness (there has to be more im sure), he will pretty much be the most complete player since when exactly? I donno. Absurd potential.

As for how he compares to Matthews. I think it is too early to tell. Matthews is special in his own right. Pure goalscoring talent. One of the most talented goalscorers of all time no doubt. I could see myself picking anyone of the two, which in all honestly speaks in Matthews favour since I'm Swedish and a bit biased i guess.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
During the 2018-19 season we saw Marner get 94 points in 82 games played. So do you think he will come close to that amount of points ever again or can he possibly be a 100 point player in the future?
I think Marner will be a pretty consistent 90+ point player. I'm just saying his game to game consistency leaves much to desire.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Well. I don't say that there is a big gab between them when they are both playing their very best hockey, at least not right now, but to say that Marner somehow has a higher level than Pettersson in general is a bit of a stretch if you ask me. What's so special about Pettersson is that he excels at every aspect of the game. Shot, playmaking, speed, hands, defence, iq, mental game. He pretty much has no weakness except for his size at the moment. And since he is 100% of the time a top focus of the opposing team he needs to fill out a bit more and find a way to overcome constant pressure and bully from shutdown players. He cannot be completely neutralised since he draws so many penelties and is such a great force on the PP but still.

He is on his way to overcome that already. This playoff is proof of that to some degree, even though he has been "stopped" a few games here and there.

If he can overcome this "only" weakness (there has to be more im sure), he will pretty much be the most complete player since when exactly? I donno. Absurd potential.

As for how he compares to Matthews. I think it is too early to tell. Matthews is special in his own right. Pure goalscoring talent. One of the most talented goalscorers of all time no doubt. I could see myself picking anyone of the two, which in all honestly speaks in Matthews favour since I'm Swedish and a bit biased i guess.

You just listed everthing that Marner has when he's on. Minus the blistering shot that Pettersson has (Marner has a pretty good shot too, just doesn't use it a ton, no where near as hard or as accurate as Pettersson however). Marner also plays in every situation, something that EP doesn't do, as far as I'm aware he doesn't kill penalties. He might in the future? Not sure.

EDIT:
Marner 2:12 SH TOI/ game
Pettersson 0:02 SH TOI/ game

Last edited:

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Matthews by a clear margin, they are in the same tier though and neither is a top 10 player in the league.

Let's say Matthews 8.5/10, Pettersson 8/10.

Reactions: 6ix and HockeyWooot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad