Elias Pettersson vs. Auston Matthews

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Today Auston Matthews is at home in Arizona playing his ps4.
He's getting his practice in so he can wipe the floor with Petey in 3 days when he's home playing on his PS4. Two can play this game. lol

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He's getting his practice in so he can wipe the floor with Petey in 3 days when he's home playing on his PS4. Two can play this game. lol

Yup, Petey will be preparing for a game 6 of a playoff series, Auston is preparing for a ps4 match.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
he only has one season to go by so far....... lol
I mean, Matthews was PPG in his 2nd season in the league at age 19/20. Petey was a rookie at the same age scoring less. Even in his 21 year old season this year, Auston had better numbers while being a year younger.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
To suggest they are on par defensively is friggin hilarious.

Basically your whole post is making excuses for Matthews. You are out of your element to suggest Matthews is a tier above EP. Leafs fans need to be objective.

I mean, I listed statistics and put other players up for comparison. Yet you wanna talk about being "objective". Pretty ironic. Pettersson's default is "he's better defensively" when in reality, I don't think he is. Even if we were to assume he was slightly better, his offensive game is no where near Mattys.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
You are prioritizing point shares over WAR and other metrics. Thats not objectivity.
Post the stats friend. I've never heard anyone using WAR for NHL. I'm not aware of the use or where to find it. Like I stated in my post. I rely on PS because it's easy to find on hockey reference and the eye test matches the stats.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Pretty sad if that's the only way for Auston to be a better hockey player than Petey.

aside from being better at scoring goals, getting points, controlling play, faceoffs etc.

hilarious to see a garbage poll like this because the canucks made it to rd 2 before getting dusted off by vegas in 5

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
ill take the 47g/80pt guy over the guy that hasnt hit 30g or had 70pts yet

matthews. not even in the realm of being close. Matthews top 10. petey isnt even top 20 yet.

/thread

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
aside from being better at scoring goals, getting points, controlling play, faceoffs etc.

hilarious to see a garbage poll like this because the canucks made it to rd 2 before getting dusted off by vegas in 5

6* Their goalie stole them the game today.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

agree with ya. It's a pointless poll started by a habs fan that want Canucks fans and leafs fans to go at it.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I wish we had faced Binnington, Allen, Stalock, Fleury

so.... you're just saying you wish your team is in the playoffs then having to watch another canadian teams compete in the Stanley cup playoffs? The Leafs couldn't beat the Jacket's, they sure as hell aint beating the St.Louis blues. Leafs stars didn't show up.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Post the stats friend. I've never heard anyone using WAR for NHL. I'm not aware of the use or where to find it. Like I stated in my post. I rely on PS because it's easy to find on hockey reference and the eye test matches the stats.

Their defensive metrics were already posted in this thread where EP was shown to be above Matthews in this regard, eye-test also displays this.

Reactions: Garthinater

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
so.... you're just saying you wish your team is in the playoffs then having to watch another canadian teams compete in the Stanley cup playoffs? The Leafs couldn't beat the Jacket's, they sure as hell aint beating the St.Louis blues. Leafs stars didn't show up.
The Leafs star players like Matthews for example did show up because he had 6 points in 5 games, which included him scoring the game winning goal in both Leafs wins.

Obviously it wasn't great that they were shutout in Games 1 and 5. Plus in Game 5 Toronto got unlucky when Tavares hit the post in the 1st period when they were losing 1-0.

Last edited:

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
ill take the 47g/80pt guy over the guy that hasnt hit 30g or had 70pts yet

matthews. not even in the realm of being close. Matthews top 10. petey isnt even top 20 yet.

/thread
The poll isn't who is currently better, it's who you take going forward. You can certainly make a case for EP there without being ridiculous.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I wish we had faced Binnington, Allen, Stalock, Fleury and Lehner. Honestly, it would've been fun to see over the trapping bs we had to witness with CBJ.
meh we probably still lose. I don't have hope for the team until they actually win a round. Damned with all these supposed advanced stats that are cherry picked by fans when convenient.

My gripe with this poll is that HFboards accepts Matthews and Eichel as close players yet EP edges out Matthews in this poll and Jack Eichel blows Pettersson out of the water in the recent poll done comparing them. Classic.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
meh we probably still lose. I don't have hope for the team until they actually win a round. Damned with all these supposed advanced stats that are cherry picked by fans when convenient.

My gripe with this poll is that HFboards accepts Matthews and Eichel as close players yet EP edges out Matthews in this poll and Jack Eichel blows Pettersson out of the water in the recent poll done comparing them. Classic.
Probably would still lose haha :laugh:

Being a Leafs fan is a curse :laugh:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
What a load of garbage.

It seems neutral fans admit both players are close while leaf fans shown they are not objective enough to declare both players being close. EP is easily a top 20 player and Matthews is definitely not top 10.

Btw EP is easily the better play driver and controls the game better than Matthews does, and the Canucks are still in it (not dusted by vegas in 5) so get your facts checked.
This thread is literally filled with posts stating Petterson AINEC, "if you don't think it's Pettersson, you're nuts". And yet Leafs fans are not objective? What bubble are you living in friend?

Facts: Matthews blows Pettersson out of the water offensively and in the dot. Pettersson edges out Matthews on defense (even thought it's actually pretty close from the stats I posted). It's fine if you want to take Petey. You can have your preference. But don't accuse Leafs fans of choosing their guy.

Also "neutral fans".

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Both great players cannot go wrong with either...coinflip atm...if you look at RS stats its AM but EP´s playoff run atm is pretty amazing and cannot be overlooked.
I voted EP cause I think he has higher upside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad