Elias Pettersson vs. Auston Matthews

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why does it? If both were considered elite goal scorers, then sure, comparing their goal totals makes sense. But why does goal totals have to be taken into account when one of those players is more of a playmaker?
I honestly don't remember anyone calling Pettersson an elite goal scorer and I think only using their point totals after 2 years is a way to make him look better then Matthews since they had the same amount.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Home pick with EP. If they were paid the same and the same # of years from being UFA's, I'd go Matthews though (for now). Larger sample size with AM.

But, as it stands, the difference in salary cap hit for outweighs the smaller difference in on-ice performance.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I honestly don't remember anyone calling Pettersson an elite goal scorer and I think only using their point totals after 2 years is a way to make him look better then Matthews since they had the same amount.

That's my point. Why are you basing it on goal scoring when Pettersson's never been considered an elite goal scorer?

That's like comparing Mitch Marner and Jake Guentzel and then focusing on their goal totals. It benefits Guentzel and punishes Marner because one is more of a goal scorer than the other.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That's my point. Why are you basing it on goal scoring when Pettersson's never been considered an elite goal scorer?

That's like comparing Mitch Marner and Jake Guentzel and then focusing on their goal totals. It benefits Guentzel and punishes Marner because one is more of a goal scorer than the other.
It seems to me whenever Matthews is compared to any other players no matter if it's Pettersson or previous comparisons to Jack Eichel and Patrik Laine, it always comes down to his point totals. So if I was going to compare what their point totals was after their 2nd seasons since they happened to get the same amount, I would also have included how he was also head in goals scored at 74 - 55.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It seems to me whenever Matthews is compared to any other players no matter if it's Pettersson or previous comparisons to Jack Eichel and Patrik Laine, it always comes down to his point totals. So if I was going to compare what their point totals was after their 2nd seasons since they happened to get the same amount, I would also have included how he was also head in goals scored at 74 - 55.

Re: bolded.

Why wouldn't it? Goal total reflects who is the better goal scorer, assist totals reflects who is the better playmaker, but point totals reflects who is the better overall offensive player (ie. combination of goal scoring and playmaking).

There's a reason the Art Ross is looked upon with more value than the Rocket.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I used to think that most people don't read the contents of the thread and only read the title before answering.

Now I'm convinced it's just the first half of the title.

If you can't recognize that one guy has played 2 seasons while the other has played 4 and there's some comparisons to be drawn and that it's not outrageous to consider you would take going forward, well I'm not sure what to say.

A lot easier to imagine Pettersson putting up 100 points in a season compared to Matthews.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Matthews = more talented, better goal scorer, likely to put up more points, more off-ice drama. NHL comparable stylistically = Stamkos?
Pettersson = smarter, better two-way game, elevates others around him better, mature for his age, better playoff track record so far. NHL comparable stylistically = Datsyuk?

I take Pettersson.

Matthews has a stronger supporting cast so I don't think the production argument is really a strong one. I know you aren't making it, but others in here are.

They're both great, but Pettersson's brain is by far the best tool that either of them have. That alone gives him the edge for me.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Re: bolded.

Why wouldn't it? Goal total reflects who is the better goal scorer, assist totals reflects who is the better playmaker, but point totals reflects who is the better overall offensive player (ie. combination of goal scoring and playmaking).

There's a reason the Art Ross is looked upon with more value than the Rocket.
Jamie Benn won the Art Ross Trophy with only 87 points during the 2014-15 season only scoring 35 goals. So was that just an unusual situation where he won the award without scoring at least 90 points.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm honestly asking why are you only using their first 2 years of regular season points, because if you factor in Matthews 4 years he's already at 285 points in 282 games played.
Uhhh... Because Petterson has only played two seasons? That shouldn't be too hard to understand...

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Matthews easily. If Matthews was playing with the Canucks right now; nucks would be leading the series against VGK. EP has better team support than AM

perhaps better to put this to poll after EP's elc is expired and he signs a new deal.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Matthews easily. If Matthews was playing with the Canucks right now; nucks would be leading the series against VGK. EP has better team support than AM

perhaps better to put this to poll after EP's elc is expired and he signs a new deal.

:laugh:

Have you looked at Vancouver's roster

Reactions: Love

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Jamie Benn won the Art Ross Trophy with only 87 points during the 2014-15 season only scoring 35 goals. So was that just an unusual situation where he won the award without scoring at least 90 points.
.... What does this have to do with literally anything...?

Reactions: JLaw1719

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

And? How does that refute what I said about the Art Ross typically being seen as more valuable than the Rocket?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And? How does that refute what I said about the Art Ross typically being seen as more valuable than the Rocket?
So it's highly doubtful we can possibly see Matthews score 55 goals and 45 assists and winning it with 100 points, since we saw Jamie Benn win it with only 87 points. That would mean Matthews would have scored more goals then assists in that scenario.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So it's highly doubtful we can possibly see Matthews score 55 goals and 45 assists and winning it with 100 points, since we saw Jamie Benn win it with only 87 points. That would mean Matthews would have scored more goals then assists in that scenario.

I'm literally confused what your point is with the above.

Like, why are you comparing what Matthews *might* score today, in a higher scoring league, with what Benn won the Art Ross with back then when scoring was at one of its lowest points since the dead puck era?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Matthews is a fairly one dimensional player on a bad contract, Pettersson brings a much more rounded game and will likely get a better contract, Pettersson makes everyone around him better. Matthews does not

This is a very dumb and uninformed take which I assume you have because you look at his raw assist totals. Basically every Leafs player has seen their production go way up when they play with Auston Matthews. He doesn't need a superstar on his wing to produce either. He definitely knows how to use linemates to keep possessions alive and create scoring chances. No he might not be giving guys back door tap ins as frequently as Pettesson who's more a pure passer but to say Matthews doesn't make his linesmates better is laughably dumb and easily disproved by the eye test and analytics.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm literally confused what your point is with the above.

Like, why are you comparing what Matthews *might* score today, in a higher scoring league, with what Benn won the Art Ross with back then when scoring was at one of its lowest points since the dead puck era?
I'm asking since Jamie Benn winning the Art Ross with under 90 points seems to be a one time thing, if something like that could happen again and if that gives Matthews a chance?

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020

Well Mathews did play his last couple years with third liners and rookie type players. Anyway when it really comes down to it they are all close, 10 points looks huge over a season but one secondary assist every 8 games can make that happen so the top group are really all interchangeable as far as “points” go.
But most people think a 40 point rookie can replace a 40 point seasoned pro who is responsible in his own end because points are all that matters.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm asking since Jamie Benn winning the Art Ross with under 90 points seems to be a one time thing, if something like that could happen again and if that gives Matthews a chance?

Unless you think offense is going to take a nosedive league wide, probably not? It would also require a bunch of the elite guys all getting hurt at the same time, like that season.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

You know that Pettersson has 18 points in 15 playoff games, right? He's second only to MacKinnon and is 6th in playoff goals scored with 7 after Horvat's 9 and a bunch of players tied with 8.

Why do you think Matthews' 19 points in 25 career playoff games would be any better than Pettersson's? Especially when you consider that the Canucks don't need additional goal scorers, they need better goal scorers and they need additional playmakers. Horvat has 9, EP 7, Miller 5, Boeser & Pearson have 4 each and Toffoli potted 2 this series.

If you take Pettersson out and replace him with Matthews, we'd just have two Horvats (9G2A) and nobody who can dish the puck except for a 20 year old rookie defenseman.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Vancouver has a pretty good supporting cast, albeit not Cup-contender level (even though they are two wins away from the Conference Finals), and their team is arguably the best roster in Canada. EP isn't hurting for support, as he has Miller, Horvat, Boeser, and Hughes who are all high level offensive players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad