Elias Pettersson vs. Auston Matthews

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Whoa whoa. You specifically told me in a different thread that you cannot use pace and only what a player actually got for totals
I said if Matthews happened to get 55 goals it would have set a new Leafs record for goal scored in a season.

I never said on this topic the amount of goals Matthews would have scored if all 82 games were played and he was able to play in the Leafs remaining 12 games.

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I said if Matthews happened to get 55 goals it would have set a new Leafs record for goal scored in a season.

I never said on this topic the amount of goals Matthews would have scored if all 82 games were played and he was able to play in the Leafs remaining 12 games.
Really. Cause this is what you actually said
This past season he played in all 70 games the Leafs played and had 47 goals. If all 82 games were played and Matthews plays in them chances are he ends up with 55 or 56 goals.
Nothing about Rick Vaive in that one.
I believe Matthews was on pace for 56 goals after the Leafs game on March 10 which was their last game played before the season got suspended. So that's why I said that number and it would also have set a new Leafs record for most goals scored in a season, because the current number is 54 goals scored by Rick Vaive.
And in that one you make it very clear that it ALSO would have broken the record so clearly not the only reason you brought it up. So don’t try to back track now.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
How is he a much better playmaker? Their production in that regard is roughly equal and Matthews is a much better goalscorer. This attempt to pigeonhole Matthews as a one trick pony has been persistent since his rookie season.

Roughly equal you say?

Matthews averages 36 assists per 82 games since he came to the league.

EP averages 45 assists per 82 games.

Matthews is an amazing goal scorer but not a very good playmaker.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
This is a very dumb and uninformed take which I assume you have because you look at his raw assist totals. Basically every Leafs player has seen their production go way up when they play with Auston Matthews. He doesn't need a superstar on his wing to produce either. He definitely knows how to use linemates to keep possessions alive and create scoring chances. No he might not be giving guys back door tap ins as frequently as Pettesson who's more a pure passer but to say Matthews doesn't make his linesmates better is laughably dumb and easily disproved by the eye test and analytics.

Which leaf players have had career years playing with matthews?

Only hyman has had his best season playing with auston but I'd credit that to playing with marner more tbh.

Both nylander and marner had a better year with JT.

You're entire post is wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dache

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Which leaf players have had career years playing with matthews?

Only hyman has had his best season playing with auston but I'd credit that to playing with marner more tbh.

Both nylander and marner had a better year with JT.

You're entire post is wrong.
Technically when Nylander had 61 points in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons is when he was on Matthews line.

Yes it's true that this past season he had a new career high in goals of 31 goals and played a lot with Tavares, he also played some games on Matthews line getting that new season high in goals. However he did not match or pass 61 points and finished with 59 points.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Technically when Nylander had 61 points in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons is when he was on Matthews line.

Yes it's true that this past season he had a new career high in goals of 31 goals and played a lot with Tavares, he also played some games on Matthews line getting that new season high in goals. However he did not match or pass 61 points and finished with 59 points.
So now pace isn’t a thing? Come on man you really need to stop flip flopping every day

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So now pace isn’t a thing? Come on man you really need to stop flip flopping every day
Where did I say anything about pace? I simply explained that this past season Nylander played games with both Matthews and Tavares when he set a new season high of 31 goals. It's also true that his 59 points were 2 points short of tying his season high of 61 points in 2016-17 and 2017-18 when he played those years just on Matthews line.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Where did I say anything about pace? I simply explained that this past season Nylander played games with both Matthews and Tavares when he set a new season high of 31 goals. It's also true that his 59 points were 2 points short of tying his season high of 61 points in 2016-17 and 2017-18 when he played those years just on Matthews line.
In this very thread right here
882C3958-C149-446B-8421-807627D32ED4.png
You ignored that you flip flopped yesterday as well, and now you’re back to saying only what a player actually got is what matters. You know that this year was Nylanders best but you’re purposely being misleading by saying he was 2 points short in 12 games less. Nevermind the fact that you say goals matter so much more than assists when it comes to Matthews but in Nylanders season it’s the fact that he had 2 extra points in 12 extra games that makes his season the best. You can’t say only goals matter when comparing Matthews but goals don’t matter when it comes to which was Nylanders best season, use goal pace when it comes to Matthews but not point pace when it comes to Nylander.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Why are Canucks fans so obsessed with proving Petterssen is better than Matthews?

We're not. There's plenty of reasons to take either player going forward, and Canucks fans are bringing up Pettersson's case. Many Toronto fans are just too insecure to admit it's a legitimate discussion going forward

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Comparing him to Pettersson isn't running him down.

Petterssen is just the example in this case. It seems to be crucial that Matthews be deemed worse than other star players, that's all. It's happened over and over and over again through many different polls since Matthews was drafted. And it will continue to happen.

Reactions: Papi 4 Hart

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It's not Petterssen personally. It's this board's obsession with trying to run down Matthews for whatever reason.
Where can I find all these posts running Matthews down? All I find are ones saying he’s also a great player and one of the leagues best goal scorers.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Petterssen is just the example in this case. It seems to be crucial that Matthews be deemed worse than other star players, that's all. It's happened over and over and over again through many different polls since Matthews was drafted. And it will continue to happen.

Meh, I think he gets compared a lot because he's a prominent player. I don't see why that means they're designed to downplay him

Reactions: Dache

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

There's polls about pretty much every "young star" on here. The difference is they don't go on for a million pages because they don't have a fanbase as large as the Leafs' fanbase to have dozens of replies to every thing said about their player.

On this first page alone of the polls sections, there are more Pettersson and MacKinnon polls than there are Matthews polls. But there aren't as many Canucks and Avs fans as there are Leaf fans, so there's not going to be as many replies "defending" their player like these threads.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Pettersson has shown up in big games, Matthews has not. The only two centres I would take over Pettersson are McDavid and MacKinnon.

You are basing this off one post season. Matthews has showed up in tons of big games against difficult teams hence 12 goals in 25 playoff games.

If Vancouver played the 2017 Washington Capitals, 2018 Boston Bruins or 2019 Boston Bruins are we having this same discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad