Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJS] Cody Ceci & EDM 3rd '25 <--> Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
A deal that needed to be made. I've got time for Ceci for stepping up into the team's need for a 2RD and taking on the defensive responsibilities with PK and situational play. Still managed to put up 25 points. Unfortunately he and Nurse were chaos twins together with both bad tendency to leave defending structure to chase forward into low event ice.

I'd rather remember the positive, big moments of his time here. Game 7 winners and his final Oilers game with one of the best passes one will ever see converted to get the team back to evens.

The return looks good beyond the critical cap savings. Bring another young right shot d into the organization is value-add,

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
About as best this situation could have been handled. Tidy work by Bowman and JJ in the face of adversity and I’d guess a big f*** you to the Blues as they take the guy they were only using (Holloway) to pry their real target (Broberg) away.

Wasn’t the biggest fan of Ceci but he’ll be missed (especially game 7s). Best of luck to him
Won’t need game 7 Ceci when we win the Cup
Next year by beating all 4 teams in under 6 games/series.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
About as best this situation could have been handled. Tidy work by Bowman and JJ in the face of adversity and I’d guess a big f*** you to the Blues as they take the guy they were only using (Holloway) to pry their real target (Broberg) away.

Wasn’t the biggest fan of Ceci but he’ll be missed (especially game 7s). Best of luck to him
Yes, agreed. I wouldn't be shocked if there was another move coming so that they can qualify Holloway too but in 48 hours we'll know for sure.

These moves show you how determined clubs are to defend their RFA's and why offer sheets are rarely issued.

The Blues made a statement to the league about RFA's last week and said "hey what are you going to do about it" and today the Oilers made a statement to the league as well and said "there's what we'll do about it." The league will take notice of both statements but I think the latter might be more poignant in terms of how the NHL works.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Probably not. Broberg can be traded next off season so I don’t think it has anything to do with it.
I do feel that the plan overwhelmingly is to keep Broberg long term. His high number hurts us setting a team precedent though. Maybe getting Draisaitl's deal out there first cements the precedent and makes Broberg more of an exception

I should also put the Bouchard contract in that boat too. Maybe him and Drai sign at the same time. But I get it that having these deals in 2 days is asking a lot.

Reactions: McDoused

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Holloway isn't coming back. We need to now trade Kulak to be cap compliant when Kane comes back. Brown goes to the minors. Broberg gets matched and plays 3rd pairing LHD and will move up if necessary. Stetcher and Emberson round out the 2nd and 3rd pair RHD.

It all comes down to when Kane is back. If you know Kane is out long enough that you can have one of Nuge/Hyman/Arvidsson/Broberg/etc have a turn on LTIR to nurse an injury they picked up during the season, you can match both and be cap compliant with a 22 man roster

Reactions: nally and McDoused

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I know people are saying that their teammates will understand that it’s a business and harbour no ill will towards them, but if the Oilers do end up matching both players, you’d have to believe there would be at least some resentment over their decisions costing a popular locker room guy in Ceci.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I know people are saying that their teammates will understand that it’s a business and harbour no ill will towards them, but if the Oilers do end up matching both players, you’d have to believe there would be at least some resentment over their decisions costing a popular locker room guy in Ceci.

I think it’s ultimately how Broberg plays. If he plays well, its probably fine but if he doesn’t, then yeah…

Reactions: McDoused and Cloned

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Maybe they can direct it towards the guy who gave Nurse and Campbell their terrible contracts.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
See ya Cody. Likely past his best before date with us, but thought overall he was decent value for his contract. Scored some big, timely goals for us. His biggest fault had nothing to do with himself, it was that he couldn't make his partner Nurse a competent dman.
100% agree.
Ceci became the whipping boy for a lot of what Nurse caused.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I just keep thinking about McDavid and Draisaitl basically lecturing the locker room about learning from mistakes after the Game 7 win over Vancouver. It was vaguely directed at McLeod without pointing at him. I imagine a similar intensity from the leadership group may await Broberg and Holloway in the dressing room at the captain's skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad