Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJS] Cody Ceci & EDM 3rd '25 <--> Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I know people are saying that their teammates will understand that it’s a business and harbour no ill will towards them, but if the Oilers do end up matching both players, you’d have to believe there would be at least some resentment over their decisions costing a popular locker room guy in Ceci.
Don’t think the Hawks resented Nik Hjalmarsson when he did it back in 2010. It’s a business, as long as Broberg holds up his end of the deal and keeps developing into a solid dman I don’t think anyone in the room will care.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yes, agreed. I wouldn't be shocked if there was another move coming so that they can qualify Holloway too but in 48 hours we'll know for sure.

These moves show you how determined clubs are to defend their RFA's and why offer sheets are rarely issued.

The Blues made a statement to the league about RFA's last week and said "hey what are you going to do about it" and today the Oilers made a statement to the league as well and said "there's what we'll do about it." The league will take notice of both statements but I think the latter might be more poignant in terms of how the NHL works.

Yup. Even the Oilers keeping Broberg (and these tidy trades to make that happen) should be enough to dissuade offersheets from “becoming a thing”. Especially trying to be the ‘smartest man in the room’ by overpaying two players to try to get just one (and ending up with the one you didn’t really care about at an inflated contract).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Don’t think the Hawks resented Nik Hjalmarsson when he did it back in 2010. It’s a business, as long as Broberg holds up his end of the deal and keeps developing into a solid dman I don’t think anyone in the room will care.
The players actively asked Holland to keep Ceci, from all reports.

He was that popular.

Did the Hawks lose someone that popular as a result of Hjalmarsson? (asking because I actually don’t know)

Reactions: McDoused

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yup. Even the Oilers keeping Broberg (and these tidy trades to make that happen) should be enough to dissuade offersheets from “becoming a thing”. Especially trying to be the ‘smartest man in the room’ by overpaying two players to try to get just one (and ending up with the one you didn’t really care about at an inflated contract).
I agree.
Credit has to be given to Bowman here. His hand was forced (he inherited a cap strapped team with 2 RFA's not yet signed and then offer sheeted) and in a very short period of time he managed to make some moves to create an opportunity to keep one or even both RFA's.
Well done on his part.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
St. Louis is now my second favorite NHL team for forcing them to do this.

Cody Ceci was, and I don't think I'm even exaggerating, one of the single most disastrous players the Oilers organization has EVER had (result relative to ice-time in a winning season being my criteria).
He was the best player the oilers ever had in dames where he score to win the series though.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

He was that popular.

Did the Hawks lose someone that popular as a result of Hjalmarsson? (asking because I actually don’t know)
I can’t speak of popularity in the room but that offer sheet directly cost the Hawks Antti Niemi who was their starting goalie on their 2010 cup run.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I feel like bowman isn’t done yet. I expect another trade tomorrow (Monday). Just wait.
Stan's not done.

Or a Draisaitl extension announcement.
That comes after matching Broberg, trading Kulak for picks, and then signing Barrie to a PTO (later signing him to a one year 1 million dollar deal). Under the cap, and good to go.
iu

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
See ya Cody. Likely past his best before date with us, but thought overall he was decent value for his contract. Scored some big, timely goals for us. His biggest fault had nothing to do with himself, it was that he couldn't make his partner Nurse a competent dman.
He's been nursing a lot of emotional wounds. lol.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

He was that popular.

Ladd, Byfuglien, and Sopel were already cap casualties because of Tallon not filing key players' qualifying offers on time. Niemi and Madden left later that summer.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I think he's good enough for the full-time job next season. Is he good enough for the top four role. I guess we'll find out. It is his to take now.

Reactions: McDoused and guymez

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016

Gonna be hilarious when/if Podkolzin ends up being the better player too at more than half the cost. No one is going to let slip a 23 year old 6'4" rangy Swedish defenseman that can skate like the wind through their fingers. Doug Armstrong is a mad man if he thinks that to be the case.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I've dumped on ceci enough so instead I'll be positive.

He was a warrior for us and really looked good his first year here. Dude eats pucks and was good on the PK. Also seems like a great glue guy. Thanks ceci and good luck in San Jose!
Will always appreciate that he brought maximum effort every game. I won't blame players that give everything they've got but aren't utilized properly by the team. Ceci would be a perfectly serviceable 5/6 dman if he made a bit less coin.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Stan's not done.

That comes after matching Broberg, trading Kulak for picks, and then signing Barrie to a PTO (later signing him to a one year 1 million dollar deal). Under the cap, and good to go.
I hope not. I would like to see Kulak go to allow Broberg to play his natural side, where he is MUCH better. I think the rest of the right side D could be addressed without too much of an issue. Last year Ceci was meh and VD or Broberg on his off side was not the greatest either. I really think the D overall will end up no worse than last year with Broberg on his strong side. Knob/Coffey seem to have a really nice system that works well. I think it will be better than expected when all is said and done.

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
So it's a net Ceci, Bourgault and Holloway for Jarventie and Podkolzin and we give Broberg a gross contract.

It's gross, but things could be much worse.
It's only two years. He's probably as good as Ceci now. So something had to give. Would it be better if he was making 1.2M on a one year contract? For sure, but it is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad