Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJS] Cody Ceci & EDM 3rd '25 <--> Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
I hope not. I would like to see Kulak go to allow Broberg to play his natural side, where he is MUCH better. I think the rest of the right side D could be addressed without too much of an issue. Last year Ceci was meh and VD or Broberg on his off side was not the greatest either. I really think the D overall will end up no worse than last year with Broberg on his strong side. Knob/Coffee seem to have a really nice system that works well. I think it will be better than expected when all is said and done.

I really hoped that it would have been Kulak trade first, so we could move Broberg to his natural side. Or still trade Kulak, we could then worry about our D at the deadline, but going to season with following D-pairings wouldn't be a disaster.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Emberson
Broberg - Brown
Stecher

Reactions: McDoused

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yup. Even the Oilers keeping Broberg (and these tidy trades to make that happen) should be enough to dissuade offersheets from “becoming a thing”. Especially trying to be the ‘smartest man in the room’ by overpaying two players to try to get just one (and ending up with the one you didn’t really care about at an inflated contract).
Great minds think alike old buddy :cool:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I hope not. I would like to see Kulak go to allow Broberg to play his natural side, where he is MUCH better. I think the rest of the right side D could be addressed without too much of an issue. Last year Ceci was meh and VD or Broberg on his off side was not the greatest either. I really think the D overall will end up no worse than last year with Broberg on his strong side. Knob/Coffey seem to have a really nice system that works well. I think it will be better than expected when all is said and done.
Maybe the plan is just to use Broberg on his off side, and then having Kulak on the bottom pair actually cements it.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yup. Even the Oilers keeping Broberg (and these tidy trades to make that happen) should be enough to dissuade offersheets from “becoming a thing”. Especially trying to be the ‘smartest man in the room’ by overpaying two players to try to get just one (and ending up with the one you didn’t really care about at an inflated contract).
There's a reason Armstrong is being replaced as GM next year. ;)

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
I really hoped that it would have been Kulak trade first, so we could move Broberg to his natural side. Or still trade Kulak, we could then worry about our D at the deadline, but going to season with following D-pairings wouldn't be a disaster.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Emberson
Broberg - Brown
Stecher
I could maybe see that D corps against a physical team, but generally I think Broberg needs better to be better. Unless more is brought in, I think Stecher would be a better option or find another outside solution to pair with Nurse and move Emberson to 3RD to play with Broberg.

I mean, we are chatting about this without even knowing for sure if Broberg will be back for sure. It is hard to get too far ahead until things become more clear in the next 2 days.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Because we still have to replace ceci. Our D is worse is now losing an nhl vet that could play in all situations. Broberg was already penciled in the line up. We are in a worse position losing ceci with no viable replacement.

Whether that replacement is ceci or someone else. We still need to bring someone in
The situation is comparable to when we traded Barrie away to make a spot for Bouchard. There are differences but more similarities. The main one is that Barrie was the better player in the moment, but management made a calculated risk based on good scouting.

A lot of fans didn't like Broberg but management did. The plan was always to move one of Kulak or Ceci to make a spot for Broberg. Quite frankly both of Ceci and Kulak were never good enough to be top 4 on a contender but were overpaid as bottom pairing guys. At least Broberg has the chance to excel

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think Ceci will be a good get for the Sharks as well.

Say what you want about him but he's a veteran with the right approach to the game given his skillset. San Jose can send him out there all year to get shelled so their young players don't have to and then they can get another pick for him at the deadline.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
I could maybe see that D corps against a physical team, but generally I think Broberg needs better to be better. Unless more is brought in, I think Stecher would be a better option or find another outside solution to pair with Nurse and move Emberson to 3RD to play with Broberg.

I mean, we are chatting about this without even knowing for sure if Broberg will be back for sure. It is hard to get too far ahead until things become more clear in the next 2 days.

I don't understand why people are counting Brown out from conversation, he had pretty good season with Yotes last season as a 3rd paring defensive D.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
How could we do that? Just not match and send Holloway down and let another team pick him up off waivers?

In theory we could match both offersheets and immediately put Holloway on waivers. San Jose as the worst team in the league last year has #1 waiver priority and they put in a claim.

It would mean we don't get the compensation 3rd round pick though.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
I don't understand why people are counting Brown out from conversation, he had pretty good season with Yotes last season as a 3rd paring defensive D.
Not counting him out at all. He will definitely have his place against bigger and tougher opponents. Overall though and against most teams, I thing Broberg needs a more suited partner to really progress.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
In theory we could match both offersheets and immediately put Holloway on waivers. San Jose as the worst team in the league last year has #1 waiver priority and they put in a claim.

It would mean we don't get the compensation 3rd round pick though.
I like it. So Ceci, Holloway and 2 3rds for Ty Emberson and a big f*** you to St Louis.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think Ceci will be a good get for the Sharks as well.

Say what you want about him but he's a veteran with the right approach to the game given his skillset. San Jose can send him out there all year to get shelled so their young players don't have to and then they can get another pick for him at the deadline.
Watch the Oilers trade for Ceci at the deadline. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad