Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJS] Cody Ceci & EDM 3rd '25 <--> Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I know people are saying that their teammates will understand that it’s a business and harbour no ill will towards them, but if the Oilers do end up matching both players, you’d have to believe there would be at least some resentment over their decisions costing a popular locker room guy in Ceci.
I think that the players will understand more so than the fans. Broberg is going to be under a lot of pressure from the fans to live up to that contract if they match. No more kid gloves for him. It's a big boy contract and he will have to produce or take a lot of heat.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I'm impressed that Bowman did what he just did which was exactly what I suggested needed to happen. These moves had to be done in order to match Broberg and they might even match Holloway as well while flipping or keeping Podz.

My gut tells me it would be a bad idea to let Broberg go for basically nothing, especially when they spent so much time developing him. He looked really good in the playoffs. Sure he made mistakes but he was playing against the NHL's best. This is coming from someone who hated the Broberg draft selection.

The price to resign him sucks but is what it is. You can thank the Poos for that royal screw job. I have no idea how they'll manage to get Bouchard resigned going forward but I guess that story is yet to be told.

Reactions: TheNumber4

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Emberson is a decent piece. Kinda seems like a young right-handed version of Kulak.

He had solid defensive numbers for San Jose. By far their best D in most defensive metrics. He played a relatively tough role with 32% of his ice-time coming against elite comp(where he had by far the best results on the team) while playing 16:37 of 5v5 minutes per night.

I'd say the deal is closer to getting Emberson for the third and dumping Ceci for free than paying to get rid of Ceci.

image-5.png

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Blues fan here, coming in peace.

First I'll say I would love to get both Broberg and Holloway. By far my 2 favorite youngsters in your system.

My thought is what if these moves made today aren't for matching contracts but for replacing what they had as best they can while also clearing cap for this year with Ceci? Feels like they'd have just enough space to bring Barrie back in on the cheap to pair with Nurse.

With Ceci already being a UFA next year that money is already off the books, so exchanging that with matching Broberg only makes next years cap situation that much worse.

The podkolzin and a 3rd for Holloway and a 4th feels the same. Not to match but to replace.

Who knows what will happen but I wish you all the best this year. I was chearing hard for you to win the cup. I'd love to see McDavid win it.
That's an interesting possibility.

The first thought is this is to clear cap for Broberg, but Emberson is a guy that they could realistically plug in at #2RD beside Nurse. He only played 10 seconds less 5v5 minutes per game than Ceci last season.

Who knows? Maybe they are still letting them both walk and this trade is to accrue cap space for the deadline.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Not as bad for SJ as people think.

Starts with them getting a 3rd. There will likely be a market for Ceci at the deadline. And, they know if Edmonton matches both players, theres a good chance someone gets waived that they can claim.

Good deal for both teams

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Holy shit, this happened overnight? Wild
I found out when I saw a Nielson show recommended vid on YouTube popping up saying "Oilers trade Ceci".

So they're going to match the Broberg offer sheet it seems like. I'm glad they're keeping the long term potential of Broberg but I'm conflicted.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Having some time to process this, I think JJ/Bowman made the best out of an impossibly bad situation assuming now that they let Holloway go to get the 3rd that they lost in this trade and match Broberg.

They got a halfway decent replacement for Holloway with a similarly young player with some upside for less than half the price over the next 2 seasons.

They trade Ceci only having to give up a 3rd but also get an NHL Dman back in return to soften the blow of losing Ceci on the right side, a right shooting Dman no less and young as well almost as young as Broberg. That's a nice piece of business if you ask me and not what I was expecting.

They will likely match the Broberg offersheet so while that could create some real cap complications, it maintains that critical long term potential and extends their competitive window beyond the next few years. It's a bold move because if Broberg regresses, that's a significant contract taking up space but he seems to be on a nice trajectory to my eye even though the analytics weren't overly kind to him in the finals.

I don't know, I think JJ/Bowman made the best out of a bad situation and deserve credit for getting creative and they actually made the team younger in the process somehow which was important, assuming that they match Broberg.
I think Holland would have just let the two walk, I don't think he had this level of creativity although it can be argued that the offer sheets never would have happened if he was still here.
Regardless, I'm in a much better mood about this now than just this time yesterday. The Oilers are never uninteresting, I'll say that much.

Also, I think Ceci took too much shit around here. He wasn't the ideal top 4 guy but he was a soldier for the Oilers and I thought he performed quite well in the finals in a lesser role.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Really hoping for another trade which is an upgrade on Ceci and they let Broberg walk as well. I like Broberg, but not at the cap hit and he's not replacing Ceci.

Reactions: JarvisFunk

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Having some time to process this, I think JJ/Bowman made the best out of an impossibly bad situation assuming now that they let Holloway go to get the 3rd that they lost in this trade and match Broberg.

They got a halfway decent replacement for Holloway with a similarly young player with some upside for less than half the price over the next 2 seasons.

They trade Ceci only having to give up a 3rd but also get an NHL Dman back in return to soften the blow of losing Ceci on the right side, a right shooting Dman no less and young as well almost as young as Broberg. That's a nice piece of business if you ask me and not what I was expecting.

They will likely match the Broberg offersheet so while that could create some real cap complications, it maintains that critical long term potential and extends their competitive window beyond the next few years. It's a bold move because if Broberg regresses, that's a significant contract taking up space but he seems to be on a nice trajectory to my eye even though the analytics weren't overly kind to him in the finals.

I don't know, I think JJ/Bowman made the best out of a bad situation and deserve credit for getting creative and they actually made the team younger in the process somehow which was important, assuming that they match Broberg.
I think Holland would have just let the two walk, I don't think he had this level of creativity although it can be argued that the offer sheets never would have happened if he was still here.
Regardless, I'm in a much better mood about this now than just this time yesterday. The Oilers are never uninteresting, I'll say that much.

Also, I think Ceci took too much shit around here. He wasn't the ideal top 4 guy but he was a soldier for the Oilers and I thought he performed quite well in the finals in a lesser role.
I guess, it does feel like something to "investigate" maybe in the recent past. Makes one really wonder. They did better in this deal than I expected, but still had to give up draft capital to get it done.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Matching Holloway then waiving him and missing out on the compensation pick just to be petty is something the Flames would do (and did do when they accepted less for Tanev instead of trading him to the Oilers).

Just take the pick and let the Blues have an overpaid Holloway.
IMO, this deal seems too one sided. If we dont match and then put Holloway on waivers, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Faelko

zoo99

Nov 15, 2006
Haven’t read the whole thread yet so maybe someone else mentioned this. Maybe the deal includes a plan to trade Emberson back to the sharks at deadline for Ceci, San Jose gets our pick for helping us out, Oilers get to keep Ceci who they really didn’t want to get rid of. I don’t even know if that scenario is allowed to park a player like that ( I think it is as long as salary not retained) but if it is maybe Grier doing his old team a solid .

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
If we match for Holloway then waive him so SJ can claim him do we not get the 3rd rounder still? Maybe someone can confirm. Thought we still would receive the compensation.
You only get the St. Louis 3rd if St Louis gets him… why would you get compensation for waiving a player? The 2 have nothing to do with each other.

If you’re talking about the 3rd we paid in the Ceci trade, theres no such conditions on it as announced

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
IMO, this deal seems too one sided. If we dont match and then put Holloway on waivers, I will be pleasantly surprised.
What are you talking about. The Sharks get a 3rd, and NHL defenseman who's not good on a championship team, but will do well with this sharks team and who they can get an asset for at the deadline for a kid them claimed off waivers from the rangers.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I know people are saying that their teammates will understand that it’s a business and harbour no ill will towards them, but if the Oilers do end up matching both players, you’d have to believe there would be at least some resentment over their decisions costing a popular locker room guy in Ceci.
Then the players remaining on this roster truely don't deserve to win if they have this kind of attitude.

Reactions: BleedingOil

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
What are you talking about. The Sharks get a 3rd, and NHL defenseman who's not good on a championship team, but will do well with this sharks team and who they can get an asset for at the deadline for a kid them claimed off waivers from the rangers.
Because the player they claimed of waivers actually turned out to be a pretty decent young d-man.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Yeah I don't understand this line of thinking. Barrie was popular too but I doubt they hate Ekholm.
This isn't a 1:1 comparison as Ekholm personally had nothing to do with the trade and was a clear upgrade on Barrie too.

These offersheet signings could affect Broberg and/or Holloway both in the sense that it forced a well liked guy out as well as made it harder to win the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad