Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJS] Cody Ceci & EDM 3rd '25 <--> Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This isn't a 1:1 comparison as Ekholm personally had nothing to do with the trade and was a clear upgrade on Barrie too.

These offersheet signings could affect Broberg and/or Holloway both in the sense that it forced a well liked guy out as well as made it harder to win the cup.
Then be mad at the guy who overpaid several players. Young hockey players operate with their best interests first, that's just how it goes. People say they're turning their nose up at a possible Cup but there's no guarantee for either of them that they're even on the roster come playoff time.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not as bad for SJ as people think.

Starts with them getting a 3rd. There will likely be a market for Ceci at the deadline. And, they know if Edmonton matches both players, theres a good chance someone gets waived that they can claim.

Good deal for both teams

Yeah they just got a RHS D for the trade deadline. They will end up getting a 2nd or 3rd for Ceci at the TDL this year for sure. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was Edmonton, lol.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Yes, agreed. I wouldn't be shocked if there was another move coming so that they can qualify Holloway too but in 48 hours we'll know for sure.

These moves show you how determined clubs are to defend their RFA's and why offer sheets are rarely issued.

The Blues made a statement to the league about RFA's last week and said "hey what are you going to do about it" and today the Oilers made a statement to the league as well and said "there's what we'll do about it." The league will take notice of both statements but I think the latter might be more poignant in terms of how the NHL works.
It may have been a blessing in disguise as Oilers management was forced to grind for a week in August to offload Ceci and find value contracts while many other front office staff were relaxing at the summer cabin.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
And put up 10 points in 30 games playing 18+ minutes a night on a bad team last season as a 23 year old. Could be some potential with him, seems like he's a decent 3rd pairing guy at the least.

Yeah, it is sure looking like Emberson is the most likely candidate for the 3rd pairing role on the right side. Guessing Stetcher will be getting a lot of games there as well. Interesting fact that Emberson needs to play 50 NHL GP this upcoming season, or he is a free agent (at least that is how I am reading the UFA rules for him)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Having some time to process this, I think JJ/Bowman made the best out of an impossibly bad situation assuming now that they let Holloway go to get the 3rd that they lost in this trade and match Broberg.

They got a halfway decent replacement for Holloway with a similarly young player with some upside for less than half the price over the next 2 seasons.

They trade Ceci only having to give up a 3rd but also get an NHL Dman back in return to soften the blow of losing Ceci on the right side, a right shooting Dman no less and young as well almost as young as Broberg. That's a nice piece of business if you ask me and not what I was expecting.

They will likely match the Broberg offersheet so while that could create some real cap complications, it maintains that critical long term potential and extends their competitive window beyond the next few years. It's a bold move because if Broberg regresses, that's a significant contract taking up space but he seems to be on a nice trajectory to my eye even though the analytics weren't overly kind to him in the finals.

I don't know, I think JJ/Bowman made the best out of a bad situation and deserve credit for getting creative and they actually made the team younger in the process somehow which was important, assuming that they match Broberg.
I think Holland would have just let the two walk, I don't think he had this level of creativity although it can be argued that the offer sheets never would have happened if he was still here.
Regardless, I'm in a much better mood about this now than just this time yesterday. The Oilers are never uninteresting, I'll say that much.

Also, I think Ceci took too much shit around here. He wasn't the ideal top 4 guy but he was a soldier for the Oilers and I thought he performed quite well in the finals in a lesser role.
For me the bolded is the key. We of course won't know how this turns out but I like the fact that they were able to make take multi-pronged approach to cover as many bases as possible.

Getting Emberson as part of the Ceci trade is a very good move.

Reactions: Frank the Tank

popo

Aug 9, 2005
I didn't hate Ceci as much as the boards seemed to. Appreciate that he stuck to his role as a steady defender.
The most underrated part of Ceci's game was his ability to log those top 4 minutes, and not take penalties. Incredible how he consistently never racks up PIM. Coaches would love that.

Emberson seems like a good candidate to replace his role as a steady Defensive pressence at a cheaper cost. And maybe absorb his PK minutes.
Last years top PK were: Ekholm-Desharnai, Nurse-Ceci. We showed in the playoffs that we were fine without Desharnais on the PK... so likely it shifts to something like:
Ekholm-Emberson; Nurse-Broberg.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Im a fan of this move, hes a cheaper option then Ceci on the third pairng, hes young and his numbers and play are indications that he can hold his own, maybe even daylight on the second pairing from time to time.

this has to set up a Broberg match going:
Ekholm- Bouch
Nurse- Broberg
Kulak - Emberson
Brown/Stretcher

Question remains if they sign Hollywood, Podk is far from equal to his replacement but can hopefully fill a 4 line role if needed

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Emberson played for Knoblauch in the AHL, and was voted best defensive defenseman in the eastern conference that season.
I don’t know why Grier did this

Keeping Broberg then it looks like. I think Barrie or Schultz could be back too.
Emberson fits the bottom pair slot where Ceci was. He has a great first pass and is solid defensively

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I mean, more, to them on an absolutely garbage team, he turned out to be serviceable, so they didn't have to destroy their prospects. I doubt they have much investment in him.
I’m shocked they didn’t invest in him. He was one of their better D and held his own against decent QoC in his rookie season. Seems like a weird player to throw away.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I’m shocked they didn’t invest in him. He was one of their better D and held his own against decent QoC in his rookie season. Seems like a weird player to throw away.
Sure, but I think they were "happy" he did well enough so they didn't have to waste assets and prospects on "improving" him last year. They're clearly still trying to get clear of money and contracts in a weirdly long rebuilt.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Sure, but I think they were "happy" he did well enough so they didn't have to waste assets and prospects on "improving" him last year. They're clearly still trying to get clear of money and contracts in a weirdly long rebuilt.
He is basically a prospect himself though haha.

Who knows maybe I’ll see why they traded him for nothing when I watch him more here.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
How did we pick up Ekholm? At the trade deadline. If they don’t match Broberg they will have the cap space to find some more gold.

Last edited:

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Then be mad at the guy who overpaid several players. Young hockey players operate with their best interests first, that's just how it goes. People say they're turning their nose up at a possible Cup but there's no guarantee for either of them that they're even on the roster come playoff time.
We weren't talking about who we fans choose to get mad at, but teammates. And I pointed out you drew a weird parallel.

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
Bowman did OK here to get out of trouble but let's not forget the Oilers could have had both Holloway and Broberg for around 3 mil total. If the Oilers match on either one of these guys (most likely Broberg) they are in a serious overpay, which is not good cap management when you are contending for a cup. Contenders need every dollar, and with Kane LTIR, even if they can keep him out all season, cap space does not get accrued, so a deadline trade will be harder.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Yeah I don't understand this line of thinking. Barrie was popular too but I doubt they hate Ekholm.
The two situations aren’t similar at all, Ekholm was an established 2-3 defender that was coming in a trade.

Holloway and Broberg are a couple kids who’ve barely played a full seasons worth of games and are forcing the teams hand on paying them 2-4x what their worth in a season where the team is doing everything possible to give themselves the best chance.

I’m sure guys in the room can accept why they did this and they’ll be professional about it but no doubt it changes the way a lot of the guys in the room look at these kids and Im sure that is in the back of Holloway and Brobergs mind knowing that their actions are putting a dent in the chances for the guys in the room.

Reactions: harpoon

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Yeah, thats literally the highest rate of his professional career, and high than a few of his college years. Its likely a mirage.
I guess you wont be buying his jersey then.

Its a body. Prior third rounder with potential upside. Lets see how camp goes. Likely headed to the Condors. Who knows.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Bowman did OK here to get out of trouble but let's not forget the Oilers could have had both Holloway and Broberg for around 3 mil total. If the Oilers match on either one of these guys (most likely Broberg) they are in a serious overpay, which is not good cap management when you are contending for a cup. Contenders need every dollar, and with Kane LTIR, even if they can keep him out all season, cap space does not get accrued, so a deadline trade will be harder.
This has been debunked. They held off signing earlier in the year because they wanted to see how the season played out and then during the offseason knew they were very likely going to get offer sheeted.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Watch this all be a big fake-out and Ceci was traded to make space for an actual upgrade on the right side and we're still not matching Broberg/Holloway. Podz is Holloway lite and I'd argue Emberson is a decent lottery ticket on his own who could leapfrog Broberg's development this season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Watch this all be a big fake-out and Ceci was traded to make space for an actual upgrade on the right side and we're still not matching Broberg/Holloway. Podz is Holloway lite and I'd argue Emberson is a decent lottery ticket on his own who could leapfrog Broberg's development this season.
No, Broberg is and will continue to be a better defenseman, I think they walk away because it's too much money.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don’t buy the media speculation on negotiations at all.

Contenders do need every dollar, so knowing that, you’re saying that paying a combined 3M to a couple of non-arb eligible players who couldnt even stay in the lineup regularly would have been a smart move in your mind?

I don’t think representatives for either player was much interested in negotiating in the second half of the regular season when their clients hadn’t been doing much to increase their dollar value. At that point neither was doing much to warrant a 50%-100% increase from their qualifying offer.

By the time the playoffs ended we were a week from free agency and Armstrong had made his comments about offersheeting rfa’s so the player agents would of been foolish to advise their clients to accept an offer from the Oilers before July 1 to wait and see if another team reached out with an offer sheet.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad