Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJS] Cody Ceci & EDM 3rd '25 <--> Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
There’s just no way, no way, the locker room would have any issues with Broberg signing for almost three times his own ask. They'll probably joke that he should make Armstrong his agent and congratulate him on his new deal. And making him pay for one expensive ass dinner on the first road trip.
Yes using the cap space required to make the team better at the deadline is a ok. For all those want to get some more golf in.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
10 months ago Emberson was on waivers, so I'm going to remain skeptical for the moment.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
This is absolute bunk. The team hasn't given Broberg much of a chance to establish for years. They haven't trusted him with much, haven't given him many games and finally relented in playoffs because they needed a different look on D.

There hasn't been commitment from the Oilers to Broberg the whole time here. Yet you expect Bro to be unequivocally committed to the Oilers and hand back a lucrative offer sheet. lol you wouldn't do that yourself. You'd take the money.

The players are not forcing the teams hand they are benefitting from what is in the CBA, and from offersheets whereby another club is showing they have value. That could be in the back of their minds too.
I agree that the team hasn’t handled Brobergs development ideally but I also don’t think the situation is cut and dry. The team has been rounding into a Cup contender and as such if performances were similar between a rookie and a vet, they are likely to prefer veteran experience vs a green rookie. They’ve also been pretty fortunate to not have any substantial injuries on their blue line which while a good thing, further limited opportunities for Broberg, but he was in camp and started the year with the team and if he would of clearly outperformed a guy like Kulak then I’m sure they would of adjusted.

How they handled Broberg wasn’t ideal but that’s the reality of a team in a cup window, sometimes you have to prioritize what’s best for the team at that moment vs what’s best for an individual players development.

Reactions: oilers'72

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
10 months ago Emberson was on waivers, so I'm going to remain skeptical for the moment.

Gustav Forsling was also placed on waivers by the Canes before the Panthers turned him into an integral piece (sorry for bringing it up...still hurts...).

And even for us, Ryan Jones could have been one of the best waiver claims in Oilers history if not for that freak eye injury which pretty much derailed his career.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It may have been a blessing in disguise as Oilers management was forced to grind for a week in August to offload Ceci and find value contracts while many other front office staff were relaxing at the summer cabin.
I think there is a way to analyze this situation from a "league" perspective rather than a "team" perspective.

Strip away the emotion and let's say you are neither a Blues or Oilers fan.

In this case, what were supposedly (before last week) two contracts that amounted (combined) to around $3M. Flash forward a week and now these 2 contracts are signed for approx. $7M

That's an enormous difference and it adds even more inflationary pressures to exploding salaries.

Now, when the Blues go to arbitration or other contract negotiations the agents pull out this "new metric" and say, "look what you offered these 2 guys above the perceived market value--why can't my client get the same consideration."

That's why a lot of executives in the NHL realized before now that these types of moves are counter-productive to the league. Players suffer too, because the "middle class" starts to get squeezed out and you end up with very high salaries that can only be balanced by league minimum wages--unless the cap just goes on rising forever.

Then of course there is the revenge factor. Stay tuned on that one--more to come on that story.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Only concern I have with this trade is I don't like the lack of weight on the RD. As off right now I think the defence is... (I'm going to assume Broberg is still gone).

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher
Kulak-Emberson
Brown

Maybe Brown surprises, but I wouldn't bet on it. I could see Kemp getting a long look in camp to see if he could steal the #6 job. Also if he has a strong start I could see Wanner getting a shot.
Ideally, you keep the better of Emberson and Stecher in lineup next to Nurse, and then find a Vinny-size RHD to play with Kulak. Pity Montreal already moved Kovacevic;, though with NJ landing Pesce maybe they aren't as attached to him as they were st the draft.

Though I get the feeling they should look for help on left side. If something happens to Ekholm, Nurse, or Kulak they're going to be up s**k creek.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I agree that the team hasn’t handled Brobergs development ideally but I also don’t think the situation is cut and dry. The team has been rounding into a Cup contender and as such if performances were similar between a rookie and a vet, they are likely to prefer veteran experience vs a green rookie. They’ve also been pretty fortunate to not have any substantial injuries on their blue line which while a good thing, further limited opportunities for Broberg, but he was in camp and started the year with the team and if he would of clearly outperformed a guy like Kulak then I’m sure they would of adjusted.

How they handled Broberg wasn’t ideal but that’s the reality of a team in a cup window, sometimes you have to prioritize what’s best for the team at that moment vs what’s best for an individual players development.
As a longtime fan that has seen the immense impact of such things as the kid line in 90 I can't agree that there is a needed dichotomy of vet vs green rookie. Also having seen the enormous contribution of a young Esa Tikkanen in playoffs it is quite possible that an ideal team is composed of contributions from young and old. '

Like I've said in other posts I think its imperative to have a mix, and have the cap benefit of some ELC's or youth lower contracts on the team being in the mix, and a significant part of the mix.

As the playoffs went on the energy from such players as Broberg and Holloway was required.

I think its short sighted for coaches to focus too much on just limiting mistakes and not growing youth. This was one of my major grievances of the Woodcroft tenure.

Further to that it isn't the lack of injuries that limited Broberg minutes it was the preference and precedent Woodcroft took to hand those minutes to a fave of his, Desharnais, instead of granting them to Broberg. Desharnais is not a player that is good enough to be any teams longterm plans. it was inexplicable the team was choosing him over Broberg. KK inherited that and was late changing it. I do think KK would have put Broberg in more this season but theres not guarantee of that and we've heard rumblings Broberg was already unhappy with his usage here.

Anyway thanks for the reasonable reply.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It may have been a blessing in disguise as Oilers management was forced to grind for a week in August to offload Ceci and find value contracts while many other front office staff were relaxing at the summer cabin.
I'm happy for any such impetus. Ceci for the most part was not delivering his ideal game here. Like many players he got comfortable. Once in awhile you'd see the player could make plays but had gone far down the road of not doing that often.

When Coffey challenged his D to make plays or be gone its hard not to imagine Ceci was one of those guys. he had oddly got comfortable in a version of his game which just was not valuable, was just not helpful. I wonder too if Ceci's standing in the room maybe gave him some false sense of security. Vets have to fight against I suspect to continue to work hard and bring their best. Ceci settled for far less. That can't be happening on a competing club.

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
This has been debunked. They held off signing earlier in the year because they wanted to see how the season played out and then during the offseason knew they were very likely going to get offer sheeted.

I don’t buy the media speculation on negotiations at all.

Contenders do need every dollar, so knowing that, you’re saying that paying a combined 3M to a couple of non-arb eligible players who couldnt even stay in the lineup regularly would have been a smart move in your mind?

I don’t think representatives for either player was much interested in negotiating in the second half of the regular season when their clients hadn’t been doing much to increase their dollar value. At that point neither was doing much to warrant a 50%-100% increase from their qualifying offer.

By the time the playoffs ended we were a week from free agency and Armstrong had made his comments about offersheeting rfa’s so the player agents would of been foolish to advise their clients to accept an offer from the Oilers before July 1 to wait and see if another team reached out with an offer sheet.
I personally believe the numbers that Friedman mentioned for Broberg and Holloway asks were accurate. without going back to read it, I believe Broberg was 1.8x2 and Holloway was 1.3 x1. Maybe the players had these numbers, as they figured there was no way the Oilers would sign them. On the other hand Management figured they had the upper hand in the negotiations and were just going to wait them out until they signed. Either way I personally think management dropped the ball on these two players and the Oilers are worse off then they would have been had management wasn't playing hardball.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Gustav Forsling was also placed on waivers by the Canes before the Panthers turned him into an integral piece (sorry for bringing it up...still hurts...).

And even for us, Ryan Jones could have been one of the best waiver claims in Oilers history if not for that freak eye injury which pretty much derailed his career.
Correct. But for every big success story from waivers, there are 100 non successes. Its not the player, its history. Lets hope this is one of those one in one hundred instances.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes using the cap space required to make the team better at the deadline is a ok. For all those want to get some more golf in.
The players aren't going to hold a grudge over someone signing the contract put in front of them. Can you imagine how much everyone would hate Nurse if that's what really happened?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I personally believe the numbers that Friedman mentioned for Broberg and Holloway asks were accurate. without going back to read it, I believe Broberg was 1.8x2 and Holloway was 1.3 x1. Maybe the players had these numbers, as they figured there was no way the Oilers would sign them. On the other hand Management figured they had the upper hand in the negotiations and were just going to wait them out until they signed. Either way I personally think management dropped the ball on these two players and the Oilers are worse off then they would have been had management wasn't playing hardball.
So if you believe Friedmans info about their ask then you just also believe him when he said that Brobergs side didn’t want to negotiate in season.

So let me ask you this, if you were Brobergs agent, the playoffs just ended, there is a week until free agency and you are aware that Blues GM has talked about using offer sheets and you know the Oilers are in a tough spot cap wise. At that point if your ask for the Oilers is 1.8M would you advise your client to sign that contract or would you tell him to wait until free agency starts to see if an offer sheet comes?

North

Jun 25, 2009
You can believe it if you want. We don’t have to.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Before the offer sheet Broberg was going to be the next Ekholm and Ceci wasn't an NHL Dman. Now Broberg is barely an NHL Dman and Ceci is an invaluable member of the team.
It's tough to beat experience, and although Broberg very well COULD turn out to be a very good and valuable dman down the road, we are in a win now mode, and Broberg better find a few years experience awful quickly if this is to turn out.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Wow. So Ceci is finally gone. I spent a year wanting to trade this guy for an upgrade lol and it was the f***head Blues that finally pushed it over the edge. In that time I pegged his value as a 5th or less, probably future considerations. Value seems right for this deal. Ceci doesn’t have value in this league, albeit unfairly. He should have more value than a Cup Dump but just doesn’t.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Correct. But for every big success story from waivers, there are 100 non successes. Its not the player, its history. Lets hope this is one of those one in one hundred instances.
The one upside is Knobs has coached Emberson in 22-23. That and I guess we have some sort of USHL guru with the club now that would've seen him as a prospect.

At least Knobs knows the guy. I mean end of the day I don't expect much, but you never know what you can get out of a guy.

It does sound like from the below article that there is some hope as he was pretty good defensively for the Sharks.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t know much about Emberson. Former waiver wire freebie for the Sharks. But the fact that Knoblauch viewed him a really good defensive defenceman and then his numbers in the NHL backed that assessment. It seems he could be a sneaky good buy low pick up for the Ceci dump.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’m quite happy we got rid of Ceci. That is all.

;)

I don’t know much about Emberson. Former waiver wire freebie for the Sharks. But the fact that Knoblauch viewed him a really good defensive defenceman and then his numbers in the NHL backed that assessment. It seems he could be a sneaky good buy low pick up for the Ceci dump.
An alternate look could be said that the Sharks were waiving a player that didn't suck enough and perhaps was interfering with the tank. heh. Tongue in cheek but we never know the circumstance with these things. KK see's a player in Emberson, thats enough for me. I trust KK.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I like that Emberson was waived by the Rags. The Rags are a dumb organization that doesn’t know how to put together a good playoff D-core.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ceci traded only to be traded back at the deadline at 50% off(3rd team)
Why

Plus the Rags like p***yes for defenceman and don’t know what good playoff D looks like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad