Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
some people just want to constantly beat the same drum all the time despite being proven wrong over and over and over. I dunno how anyone can watch the Florida series and think we need to get bigger and slower defensemen. Florida's D were almost all small puck movers except for the guys who suck (Mikkola, Kulikov) and they won the cup.
And Ekblad who is also both of those things LMAO

Goes to show you can win with three bad defensemen if you have good ones. We constantly cap ourselves at one good defenseman and we tokenize it like having more than one is bad.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
This season is probably one of the least exciting unless Kakko turns into Forsberg. Rempe can only disappoint from here on out and our vets are officially more or less over the hill. Laf broke out already, Igor is a stud and his contract is going to kill us. It's pretty much the beginning of some kind of finality. Just depends on if Drury has a pivot toward something respectable.

How I see it as well. Not a lot of intrigue with this group because I really can't envision improvement.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Othmann is arguably a top 10 player in the league? I certainly don't see that.

JT Miller has all-world skill and is on the shortlist of best passers in hockey. Othmann has a decent shot.
Miller isn't a top 10 player in the world. He might not be top 20. But regardless Miller was considered a good prospect but not as good as he's become. He was traded 2 times because he wasn't living up to what he should be and now has blown by what was considered his ceiling. The way Othmann plays is very similar to how Miller played when he was in NY. He's young, hasn't gotten his chance in the NHL yet but his abilities are similar, his style is similar even if he is years behind Miller.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Othmann isn’t even the best prospect forward in Hartford so I certainly don’t see the upside there others have

The Rangers are so bare for high end prospects that people have talked themselves into these guys being better than they realistically will be.

I see Othmann as maybe a middle 6 tweener who can score 25-30 points. Comparing him to the likes of JT Miller is just setting him up for disappointment

Well you will pleasantly be surprised someday if that's how you feel about him now. I never said he was Jt Miller, but that he reminds me of him, mostly of when he was in ny really. Similar style, bit of an attitude, good shot, physical, good skater, hits hard and will back it up. He is the type of player that is going to be better with better players to play with, he will be better in the nhl than he was in Hartford once he gets comfortable. He will be a fan favorite I guarantee it.

Reactions: Kords

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
How many goals have gone in on Igor due to an eclipse from Troubas ass cheeks in the name of “crease clearing”

Also Jones has some promising defensive stats: opponents carry the puck in on him successfully 42% of the time, top 10 in the NHL. Also top 5 in takeaways/60, 2nd overall in takeaway/giveaway ratio.
Yeah it's gonna be great ... another year of Jones getting dismissed cuz of his size while the true culprits get over-played. And we continue to underwhelm 5-on-5. I mean I hope it's not like that but it seems very possible.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The Bowey signing is the exact reason that it wasn't a big deal they didn't sign any of these remaining FA dman. These guys are almost all awful. If they need more depth due to injury it will have to come via trade.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Well you will pleasantly be surprised someday if that's how you feel about him now. I never said he was Jt Miller, but that he reminds me of him, mostly of when he was in ny really. Similar style, bit of an attitude, good shot, physical, good skater, hits hard and will back it up. He is the type of player that is going to be better with better players to play with, he will be better in the nhl than he was in Hartford once he gets comfortable. He will be a fan favorite I guarantee it.
Is Othmann a good skater? Seriously, I'm curious.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He moves well for his frame yes
Hi frame? He's around 6' and weighs under 200. That sounds like you're just trying to make his skating sound better. He has some speed when he fully gets going and loves to play that forechecking style. But aside from balance and pace when he gets going, the rest of his skating still needs development. I'm not saying he's Rempe bad or that he can't make it in the NHL, but I think "moves well for his frame" is just making "he's average at best" sound better.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The obvious move wouldve been to trade Lindgren and not trade for Reilly Smith. I like Smith but we've got a lot of forwards and defense is a much bigger issue.

I don't disagree entirely. I will say I would have rather traded the 1st and kept the Rangers 2nd they used on Wennberg and plugged in Hanifin long term for sure.

Next off-season, there isn't that much in the way of a fantastic long term fit via UFA unless Theodore hits UFA

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't disagree entirely. I will say I would have rather traded the 1st and kept the Rangers 2nd they used on Wennberg and plugged in Hanifin long term for sure.

Next off-season, there isn't that much in the way of a fantastic long term fit via UFA unless Theodore hits UFA

They desperately need K'Andre's play to start matching his potential. Because if they overpay him, he could quickly become Nurse/Jones/Trouba-lite. They have to play him with Fox. They're unserious about winning if they keep the same pairs.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Hi frame? He's around 6' and weighs under 200. That sounds like you're just trying to make his skating sound better. He has some speed when he fully gets going and loves to play that forechecking style. But aside from balance and pace when he gets going, the rest of his skating still needs development. I'm not saying he's Rempe bad or that he can't make it in the NHL, but I think "moves well for his frame" is just making "he's average at best" sound better.

He has no problem getting around the ice, you're trying to make him out to be a guy in workboots. Absolutely nothing wrong with his skating, can it improve, yes, but it's never hindered him before and he isn't a finished product. Not sure why people are dumping on the guy, he hasn't even made the nhl yet and people writing him off.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Othmann's frame:

maxresdefault (1).jpg

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
He has no problem getting around the ice, you're trying to make him out to be a guy in workboots. Absolutely nothing wrong with his skating, can it improve, yes, but it's never hindered him before and he isn't a finished product. Not sure why people are dumping on the guy, he hasn't even made the nhl yet and people writing him off.
I wish there was like a skating graph that plotted players. Everyone seems to have a different concept of what a "good" skater is. The only thing in my mind is like "he's no McDavid. he's no Hagelin. he's certainly better than a Colton Orr or Jed Ortmeyer though. I just don't know what the middle of the pack looks like. And what are we measuring on besides speed and turning? Acceleration? Ability to chase a puck down? Puck protection?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad