Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
So, for the oilers, this is great news, there's always been an undercurrent of worry that both drai and McDavid walk. Saying that, this contract is not likely to be one you can win with, especially if mcdavid signs at 15,

You've essentially recreated the leafs situation with 2 players instead of 3. they'll need depth to get them through, and they're prospect cupboard is bare when it comes to having cheap depth on the way

Reactions: Ghetty Green and KW

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
To be fair the cap went up just over 5% and another 5% expected this year. There Is a 2 year gap in signing.

With this taken in consideration McKinnon at 12.6 is roughly a 13.9 million dollar deal.
You think the Avs' FO was going to walk away if MacKinnon had insisted on $14 million a year?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
For all the talk of a hometown discount, doesn’t seem it panned out this way. Especially on a 8 year deal when half of the contract he will be well past his prime. None the less it’s nice to see a homegrown player sticking with his team and trying to win there.

Maria Sharapova

Jun 4, 2010
30 year old players don't sign for 14m a year so big L there but that said Drai is a tremendous talent and the leader of the PP merchants so worth every penny and I think he has potential to age like a fine wine. Lets hope he ages better than Tavares

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
McDavid should demand a trade to a large U.S. market so that he can be more famous. Preferably an original six team.

He does seem like someone who absolutely craves being the center of attention.

0511_spo_ldn-l-mcdavid.jpg

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
You think the Avs' FO was going to walk away if MacKinnon had insisted on $14 million a year?
No. I am trying to explain he's been making 12.6 million for 2 years now.

The cap in those 2 years goes up 5%+ or more a year.

So I am saying If Nathan McKinnon signed a contract today for next year he as well would be paid the same.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
So, for the oilers, this is great news, there's always been an undercurrent of worry that both drai and McDavid walk. Saying that, this contract is not likely to be one you can win with, especially if mcdavid signs at 15,

You've essentially recreated the leafs situation with 2 players instead of 3. they'll need depth to get them through, and they're prospect cupboard is bare when it comes to having cheap depth on the way
I haven’tchecked, so I could be wrong, but I think drai and McD have outproduced the leafs big 4 combined

For sure mcdrai and Bouchard have

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
As the cap keeps going up you wonder if the smart gm's would rather two effective players over 1 really good player. With the cap rising so quickly finding a couple great 7 million dollars should be pretty easy to do. Arguably makes your team way more difficult to play against because you gain a lot more depth.
Hyman, Nuge, Kane, Bouchard, Ekholm, and Skinner are the 7M depth players. You need 3 stars + these depth 5-7M players to be a powerhouse.
No way Henrique, Arviddsson, Skinner etc sign with Oilers on discounts if McD and Drai werent here.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
30 year old players don't sign for 14m a year so big L there but that said Drai is a tremendous talent and the leader of the PP merchants so worth every penny and I think he has potential to age like a fine wine. Lets hope he ages better than Tavares
His shot shouldn't go. His IQ should not go.

He played playoff games on one leg and still played like a top 10 player.

Maybe he stops PKing. Maybe his minutes drop to keep fresher.

I'd pay him 15 or 16 million a year in free agency.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
No. I am trying to explain he's been making 12.6 million for 2 years now.

The cap in those 2 years goes up 5%+ or more a year.

So I am saying If Nathan McKinnon signed a contract today for next year he as well would be paid the same.
That's pure speculation.

Reactions: Morrison

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Difference is we are coming into a period of cap growth not cap stagnation.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
14M is fair value, likely would've gotten 14.5 maybe more on the open market. One of the leagues top players and being paid like it, solid deal but I don't see how they can keep McDavid + Bouchard as well, somethings gotta be done about the Nurse contract.

Reactions: Morrison

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
When you are badly underpaid on your RFA deal, you don't follow it up with a hometown discount UFA deal.

Underpaid, only because he outperformed his own contract. In fact everyone said he was overpaid when signing that extension.

Leon Draisaitl deal another overpayment from Oilers GM (but potentially good one)

I never understood giving retirement level contracts to guys that haven't won anything, but he's a superstar so you're damned if you don't sign them.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
8 x 14 not terrible but would have liked a bit less. This signals everyone is staying though so that’s a good thing.
100%

I wish it was a tad less, but I would rather overpay for a playoff monster. McDavid is staying now. Lets see how much the cap goes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad