Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Now pissy Leon will just cash in and float

Sorry, Oilers fans

Lol so right...

If it's one thing that Draisaitl has shown, it's that he's only in it for the money. :sarcasm:

I mean who goes out and wins the MVP 4 years before his contract is up? And finishes his contract season 22 points less than the year prior. That's 4D chess for sure.

Plus, the way he wracked up 81 points in the playoffs over the last three seasons? Pandering to the crowds for sure!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Your point? He signed .1 mil more than mcdavid current contract. Does every year adjust to 750k increase per contract year? Again mackinnon does have a ring. Colorado next year will see what they pay rantannen. That's where we will see how the contract ages.
My point is that this is what happens in every other sport, and I'm not sure why NHL fans are so weird about it. When the pool of money to spend goes up, so do the contracts, especially for the premium players.

Did you know that 11 QBs have a higher cap hit than Patrick Mahomes (signed 4 years ago, I think)? Or that the QB that is tied for the highest cap hit currently has 10 career regular season wins? But he's a premium player, and it was his turn, so he got paid a ton.

Reactions: mcdingdong

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
It's still a discount.
And with his playing style, think he will age well, yes most like overpaid last 2 years of his deal, but its a deal that had to be done.

Reactions: Oilers88

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
MacKinnon signed 2 years ago.

Your point? He signed .1 mil more than mcdavid current contract. Does every year adjust to 750k increase per contract year? Again mackinnon does have a ring. Colorado next year will see what they pay rantannen. That's where we will see how the contract ages.

By cap%, the point was the contracts are very similar.

McKinnon also never had such a close chance to get the Ross and never got the Hart Trophy until after the contract was signed.

Draisaitl had both

If McKinnon signed today he'd be looking at the same as Draisaitl.

Players tend to look at cap% v real dollar amount.

I will not be surprised if Rantanen takes like 12 ish million a year just under McKinnon.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
MacKinnon signed 2 years ago.

Still more on a % of cap-at-signing basis (15.09 vs 15.9%)... that's a bit of a disappointment to be honest, but it's the price of doing business in Edmonton I guess.

End result is fine... and the extra $700K on cap is not that significant. Oilers due for a lull next two seasons after this due to cap constraints, but are in great shape this year and will be in great shape 2027+.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Nice signing.

I guess they’ll have some dancing to do in 25-26 because of Bouchard and McD but if you’re in a win now mode, who cares.

Reactions: Oilers88

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
the biggest bright spot is proving all those who believed he would not stay an oiler. Now onto McDAvid and we know what will happen till he signs his new contract

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
To be fair the cap went up just over 5% and another 5% expected this year. There Is a 2 year gap in signing.

With this taken in consideration McKinnon at 12.6 is roughly a 13.9 million dollar deal.
Sure, but the Avs won the cup when Mack was making 5.5, and haven't since his 12.6 extension.
Who was the highest paid player on a cup winner\?
In cap hit and % of the cap?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Solid deal but certainly no hometown discount, which is pretty much what I expected. Their best chance to win it all will be the next year or two before the McDrai higher cap hits kick in plus the Bouchard deal.
The Oilers will lose a big competitive advantage and need to be going all in these next two years.

Reactions: roccerfeller

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
No discount but a deal the oilers had to make.

Better get that cup before 97’s eventual new contract kicks in.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
That's a lot of money but Drai deserves it, he's a better player then Matthews and should be making more then him. Now how much will McDavid get in his next deal? We know it will more then $14M so the Oilers will have two players probably taking more then $30M out of the cap dayum well that's the price of having the two best player in the world I guess.

Reactions: Kerberos

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Sure, but the Avs won the cup when Mack was making 5.5, and haven't since his 12.6 extension.
Who was the highest paid player on a cup winner\?
In cap hit and % of the cap?
Not sure about % of cap but Bobrovsky, Eichel and Barkov are all $10m hits.

Edit. % of cap is 11.4

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It's not a steal in any way. It's fair market value. The equivalent would've been him getting 16M on the open market next summer. Would that have been a steal?

What are you getting at? the increase from 14 -16 million next year because the cap is going up 4 million? That's what I thought when I read your post but it also makes no sense if that's the case. Are you suggesting a 4.3% increase in the cap next year effectively increases his asking value by 14%?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
14 is not a steal for a player that is soon out of his prime.

On what basis? We saw what he did two seasons ago in the playoffs while unable to skate with a high-ankle sprain.

Draisaitl's game is just like Jumbo Joe + a top-5 one-timer. He's going to be fine dishing sauce from the corners just like Thorton was until he is 36 or 37.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad