Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
They aren’t actual good 24 year olds though? If they were they would be qualified.

I’m saying it’s more likely that Campbell rebounds than Blackwood stops being shit

Theres a dozen good backups on the market right now i dont care about Blackwood. Alex Lyons, Brossoit, Stalock... or if you wanna lean into it and spend some, Jarry etc are out there.

Campbell will be worse than half the guys on the market even if he improves by a huge margin and hes eating way more cap.

The 24 year olds coming off depth roles on good teams with good draft pedigree and strong CF DFF and ES Pts per 60 are not good players? O.K.. Good thing youre not GM going for Wheeler and Kane.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Kostin had some game. I liked what he brought to the team.
Detroit signed him--2 for 2. I think it's not a bad deal. He will probably continue to improve. That said, it is a risk, and Holland was clearly uncomfortable taking it.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Not sure a decade later why the name keeps coming up.
I’m not talking about Yakupov. Why would I be bringing him up when the discussion was ‘all the duds and turds’ this team has had for wing depth recently. I was talking about the guy who was a healthy scratch on a Carolina team that couldn’t score in the playoffs.

No point arguing about Kostin. Let’s just sit back and see if he earns the $5 million Yzerman spent on him today.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Not capitalizing on the window will kill this team definitively. Any of the other perceived wrongs will not be taken seriously by anyone if the Oilers win the cup. Players wont care if you dump Campbell for being a bum when you need every dollar to win a cup. Its not like this is a bottom dweller weaseling out of paying a guy. Players would be lined up to sign up for Campbells cap space. Campbell was an .800 goalie last year. No one, not even his agent or other goalies will think thats acceptable performance for over 5m dollars. Dead cap wont matter AT ALL for this team if they dont win in this window.
He was bad, but not .800, more like .890. There’s a chance he can reclaim his gaem, as good a chance or better than just about any other option.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
2mil, we couldnt pay Kostin 2 fkn mil? I see the trend here, so i'm definitely in the minority, but my god is he ever worth that and then some. Ppl saying too much for a 4th liner, but he had top 9 and even top 6 potential. Still quite young, and sooo many rare attributes, and an integral part of round 1 success

I hate this, but understand it was the cost to 'dump' Yamo's contract, maybe a necessary sacrifice. But this hurts

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
so did a lot of players, including Draisaitl who went went -7 in the final 3 games of that series

but let's pin this on Yamo
I agree with the bolded and I have no idea why Draisaitl just choked like that. Part of it may have been the Pietrangelo slash. Part of it may have been a reversal of previously insane luck. Part of it may be Woodcroft reuniting him with a net negative player.

I don't blame Yamamoto for the loss. Yamamoto is what he is. A very limited player.

I blame Woodcroft for his stupid line decisions and not giving Campbell at least one start.

Reactions: Macheteops

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’m not talking about Yakupov. Why would I be bringing him up when the discussion was ‘all the duds and turds’ this team has had for wing depth recently. I was talking about the guy who was a healthy scratch on a Carolina team that couldn’t score in the playoffs.

No point arguing about Kostin. Let’s just sit back and see if he earns the $5 million Yzerman spent on him today.
OK, misunderstood because I think you said first pick player. You know my opinion on Pulju changed. Initially I didn't think too much of the player. I think he really struggled here before going back home. But when Holland managed to get him back I wanted it to work out, I cheered for the player, for a season the player was bringing some value. pretty clear the player has fallen right off the landscape. No argument. But I think the player gave up on himself as well, it happens.

Overall if you recall years ago I was saying too many Finnish players were being drafted high and that it seemed like Canadian players were being devalued in comparison. I think scouting is often flawed that way. But occasionally like most people I can get sucked in for awhile on a specific player, which I did. I take that feedback in knowing that I picked a wrong horse. Good thing I don't gamble.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
But he also had inferior linemates. It's a fact Kostin produced exceptionally well in his role, you only need to look back how other Oilers 4th liners have done in the past decade. However, it's a matter of taste if he'd be worth his new salary. I'd given it a go, but understand different views.
Yeah. Can't even fathom how somebody would look at it just the one way. Due to the scoring and intangibles its obvious Kostin was worth the 2M asking price. just that the Oilers couldn't pay it due to several other overpays made. Sucks we lose the player. Now confirmed that Kostin got his asking price. Good for him. IMO he's value at that price.

Reactions: Whyme

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Wings are pretty much paying 2.9mill for Kostin cause they had to buyout Yamamoto to get him. That’s far far too much.
Don't really look at it that way because the buyout capspace doesn't matter as much to the wings. I can't calculate that into meaning they paid 2,9 for Kostin. The pay and cap on Kostin is 2MX2. just what it is.

Given what was settled for under the right circumstance, and with a coach that even believed in him Kostin probably would have settled for less here. Just that he wanted to be used, wanted to play, Wings are giving him that. I respect a player wanting to be a bigger piece and playing every night with the intensity to get that. Kostin wasn't a passenger here, he was digging down deep to get noticed and get minutes. Doing everything one could ask of a depth winger.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Detroit signed him--2 for 2. I think it's not a bad deal. He will probably continue to improve. That said, it is a risk, and Holland was clearly uncomfortable taking it.
I would have done it provided woodcroft actually gave him solid minutes. I still feel he is going to be a decent top 6 player. big wasted opportunity. If he is given that in Detroit i feel he will succeed. At only 24 he will get much better. still sucks we lost him for nothing.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
92a45d52f1e3f37ae83ed78fc31a3d08.png

This is why I'm not too worried about losing Kostin.

I'll miss the grit, but the offense was from shooting 41% in December and another little three game heater in January where he shot 50%.

He wasn't a guy creating a ton of chances. He was 12th for Oilers forwards in individual scoring chances/60 and 14th in individual high danger chances/60. He was just getting really lucky.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I'll miss the grit, but the offense was from shooting 41% in December and another little three game heater in January where he shot 50%.

He wasn't a guy creating a ton of chances. He was 12th for Oilers forwards in individual scoring chances/60 and 14th in individual high danger chances/60. He was just getting really lucky.
Not surprising. There really isnt a lot to his game aside form a couple of flashes here and there.
Certainly not worth $2M x 2 for a player that cant do much but play exclusive 5x5 bottom 6 minutes on a decent team and likely just 4th line minutes on a very good team.

As so often happens on here though...once a popular player leaves his true value becomes hyper inflated.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Wings are pretty much paying 2.9mill for Kostin cause they had to buyout Yamamoto to get him. That’s far far too much.
** 2.5 million per season or 4.9 million for the 2 year deal. Cause every thing applying to Yamamoto has to be spun as negatively as possible. Can’t we just wish the guy good health at least, seams at times last year he really was seeing Wendolyn’s sacrificial lamb on the ice last season.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

It just sucks to see him go because he's everything EDM needs, he's only 24 and could be a top 6 player down the road. That's why I originally thought he was brought in. To grow as a player and eventually move into a top 6 role with a low contract.

Shooting percentage or not it doesn't matter. He did all you could ask of him playing some very low minutes often times 5 minutes a night. Despite that he still had 5 points in 12 games in the playoffs. He deserved better but Woodcroft just benched him all the time in favor of others who did far less with much more minutes. I wish him the best in Detroit and I hope he is given that chance to succeed.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton

And seven of his eleven goals were scored in nine games from Dec 30th to Jan 14th, a two week stretch and some are parading around on here like he’s a major goal scoring threat. He had 4 goals in the 46 games outside of that two week stretch.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It just sucks to see him go because he's everything EDM needs, he's only 24 and could be a top 6 player down the road. That's why I originally thought he was brought in. To grow as a player and eventually move into a top 6 role with a low contract.

Shooting percentage or not it doesn't matter. He did all you could ask of him playing some very low minutes often times 5 minutes a night. Despite that he still had 5 points in 12 games in the playoffs. He deserved better but Woodcroft just benched him all the time in favor of others who did far less with much more minutes. I wish him the best in Detroit and I hope he is given that chance to succeed.
Actuality sh% matters a lot because if his offence isnt sustainable then what does he bring to the table?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Not completely fair because he does have one of the best shots of any forward on the team. Even the ones not going in, he's giving goalies fits. For sure not sustainable shooting but I think with better usage he gets more shot attempts and in dangerous areas.

I'll thank the player as well for scoring 3 critical goals in the playoffs on really limited toi.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Kostin is just a newer version of Kassian. Good moments followed by long periods of average/poor play and bad timed penalties.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Not completely fair because he does have one of the best shots of any forward on the team. Even the ones not going in, he's giving goalies fits. For sure not sustainable shooting but I think with better usage he gets more shot attempts and in dangerous areas.

I'll thank the player as well for scoring 3 critical goals in the playoffs on really limited toi.
Kostin will be missed. His numbers are favourable to Foegele regular season and rose in tough playoff series against very good teams (despite limited minutes). Very much looks like a young player on the rise with pieces of a power forward game clicking into place. More efficient shooter, powerful skater but not as fast as Foegle, capable and willing grind game, physical, and functional toughness. Foegele is a better defensive player but I'm not sure enough to negate a lot of useful utility in Kostin's game and elements now lacking on the NHL roster and farm.

Kostin was a tough piece to give up to flush Yamamoto's salary without retention or sweetener. Very tough supply market with a late flood of cheap bottom six options.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
And seven of his eleven goals were scored in nine games from Dec 30th to Jan 14th, a two week stretch and some are parading around on here like he’s a major goal scoring threat. He had 4 goals in the 46 games outside of that two week stretch.
Yamamoto syndrom. Remember when he was a PPG player...for 25 games or so))

Still young and hungry unlike Kassian his last 3ish seasons with us.
Kassian was great in his first season--the first time the Oilers made the playoffs after the decade of darkness. He kind of petered away after that.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

I'll push back a little bit on this, he wasn't often times playing 5 minutes a night. He was getting opportunities to play here, especially around his hot streak. The Oilers can't offer him PP time though, and if he can find it on Detroit and excel there, I think he can put up some decent numbers.

Reactions: VainGretzky

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Kostin will be missed. His numbers are favourable to Foegele regular season and rose in tough playoff series against very good teams (despite limited minutes). Very much looks like a young player on the rise with pieces of a power forward game clicking into place. More efficient shooter, powerful skater but not as fast as Foegle, capable and willing grind game, physical, and functional toughness. Foegele is a better defensive player but I'm not sure enough to negate a lot of useful utility in Kostin's game and elements now lacking on the NHL roster and farm.

Kostin was a tough piece to give up to flush Yamamoto's salary without retention or sweetener. Very tough supply market with a late flood of cheap bottom six options.
We didn't really give up Kostin to move Yamo's contract though. We essentially gave up the mid-to-late pick we might've gotten for Kostin's rights because there was a very good chance that he wasn't going to be qualified due to his arbitration case.

Guys that are willing to fight are always in high demand. It's tough to lose one that can pot a few goals, too. But you can't really afford to pay them much more than league minimum. Good on the kid for getting the bag, but I still wouldn't be shocked to see him get waived at some point.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad