Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
What's the point of putting a condition if it's only 10 games? And yes I understand the cap gets moved to next year but that f**ks us over even more
I wonder if there is something we don't yet know. Maybe Holland plans to get out of this somehow.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
What's the point of putting a condition if it's only 10 games? And yes I understand the cap gets moved to next year but that f**ks us over even more

The point is so that Brown gets the $4M and the Oilers can afford to sign him this season.

Also on this Kostin stuff. It’s not him vs Brown. It’s him vs whoever they’d have to move off the roster to clear the $2M in cap, plus the asset to move that player off the roster without taking cap back. The only way Kostin was going to be an Oiler was doing the team a “favour” this off-season and banking to get paid the next one. He choose to get paid (which is his prerogative)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The point is so that Brown gets the $4M and the Oilers can afford to sign him this season.

Also on this Kostin stuff. It’s not him vs Brown. It’s him vs whoever they’d have to move off the roster to clear the $2M in cap, plus the asset to move that player off the roster without taking cap back. The only way Kostin was going to be an Oiler was doing the team a “favour” this off-season and banking to get paid the next one. He choose to get paid (which is his prerogative)
He missed almost the entire season. He shouldn't be getting 4M. More like 775k and a bonus to get him to 2.5M total.

Reactions: Duke74

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Let’s say they could have negotiated for 1.8 or 2 million for Kostin. If the cap is going up, why not do a deal for 1 million this year and 2.6 million next year??

If he played badly this year and they had to move him for gods second year, it would still be a risk worth taking. 2.6 isn’t the worst amount to move.
Because that’s still 400k less for him and and a 1.8 mil cap hit we can’t afford.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
He missed almost the entire season. He shouldn't be getting 4M. More like 775k and a bonus to get him to 2.5M total.

Well, it was reported that he had other suitors that were willing to pay term. What other RW of his calibre could they have fit under the cap? Couldn’t even fit Kostin under the cap.

Reactions: Faelko

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Well, it was reported that he had other suitors that were willing to pay term. What other RW of his calibre could they have fit under the cap? Couldn’t even fit Kostin under the cap.
Which teams were bidding for Brown?

You keep mention Kostin. I didn't even mention him lol

By the looks of it, we might lose Kostin and McLeod for Brown. That's a steep price

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

By the looks of it, we might lose Kostin and McLeod for Brown. That's a steep price

I don’t know, they only specified Toronto and Edmonton as front runners but they said multiple teams were interested.

Kostin is an example because he was making league minimum and they couldn’t even retain him for that. I don’t know any players that have signed for league minimum that are as good as Brown

Who said McLeod is gone?

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023

Brown isn't even making $1m. The problem is Holland and his atrocious cap management. This was a guy who committed close to 7 Mil to Yamamoto and puljujarvi to start last year and we have nothing to show for it but mcdavid pleading with brown to come play here for a pittance and get paid next year.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Brown isn't even making $1m. The problem is Holland and his atrocious cap management. This was a guy who committed close to 7 Mil to Yamamoto and puljujarvi to start last year and we have nothing to show for it but mcdavid pleading with brown to come play here for a pittance and get paid next year.
Holland did make some savvy moves (Hyman, Kane, Ekholm, Ryan, Janmark, Ceci, Kulak, Kostin Bjugstad). Also plenty of dumb ones, mostly with signings (Kassian, Nurse extension, Yamamoto, Puljujaarvi, Campbell). Those wasted assets and cap space would be handy now.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

"Shouldn't" isn't relevant when the market dictates what he would get paid.

There were rumors that offers were going to come in around $3x3 for him, so 1x$4M is what he "should" get on that basis alone.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

There were rumors that offers were going to come in around $3x3 for him, so 1x$4M is what he "should" get on that basis alone.
I’ve seen the bold a few times. Does anyone have links to this? I’m not denying it, I just can’t recall actually seeing this?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I’ve seen the bold a few times. Does anyone have links to this? I’m not denying it, I just can’t recall actually seeing this?

I don't know if there is anything to link, but I am pretty sure one of or both of Serevalli and Friedman reported this on various podcasts/radio hits.

Reactions: Spawn

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Agreed, a 4 million total home take for a guy that didn't even play last year is a bit ridiculous.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I don't know if there is anything to link, but I am pretty sure one of or both of Serevalli and Friedman reported this on various podcasts/radio hits.

There aren't any specific numbers mentioned but Spector mentioned that Brown was being offered more money/term elsewhere. That's why the Oilers weren't able to offer him less money or a more difficult to achieve performance bonus like many people are suggesting.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

3 x 3? Really? Making up #s?

IMO 4M is a lot for a show me deal

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
3 x 3? Really? Making up #s?

IMO 4M is a lot for a show me deal
It's hard to trust those 3x3 numbers especially without any evidence or details about bonus structure etc. Washington local media was speculating that maybe Brown could be had for less than his previous contract due to him being injured for so long, but that was also speculation from their side. Maybe someone offered something like 2 x 3 but with much harsher bonus part. We just don't know, but hopefully Brown stays healthy and will be worth his contract or even more. I do have some fears, but it doesn't mean it'll go like that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Good, this franchise needs more aggression. Make everyone who doubts us pay.
Pretty ironic comment considering that Kostin was the most consistently aggressive player on the team (given limited minutes) and also had some big fights with guys that were running around. He's 23 and he wasn't picking spots either. Would fight against Maroon, Kassian Whitecloud etc. If Kostin sticks around he'll be a monster by the time the man strength kicks in. This guy was winning fights at age 23, in the NHL, as a skill player, not as a thug. Thats incredibly impressive. Kostin had 6 fights last season and arguably won 5 of them.

Club is going to be softer without Kostin.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I liked Kostin a lot as well. I especially liked that he was no shrinking violet in the playoffs and actually played just as well in the playoffs as he did in the regular season and scored some huge goals.

Not every player steps up and plays well in the playoffs and Kostin did well. He was +2 also... and only a handful of Oilers ended up on the plus side of the ledger in the playoffs.

It's unfortunate they couldn't keep him as he would have been a solid bottom 6 option.

Bjugstad is another I really liked and he's gone as well.

Kind of a shocking stat here... but Bjugstad and Kostin scored as many EV goals in the playoffs as McDavid, RNH, Hyman and Kane combined. Pretty solid for the TOI they had and the linemates they played with.

Obviously it's a loss when players who play solidly in the playoffs aren't able to stick with the club because of cap limitations.

Hopefully Brown can pick up some of that slack and some of the youth like McLeod/Holloway are going to have to contribute more as well.

Maybe I'm a little pessimistic but I think the team took a step back so far with Bjugstad/Kostin out and just Brown in (who's recovering from injury).

I'm hoping for the best and maybe Broberg and Desharnais with a little more experience under their belts can help with overall team D as well.

Campbell bouncing back would be massive and the obvious key to seeing this team get back to being able to beat a team like Vegas.

I hate that it felt like this last playoff run was a perfect doorway for the Oilers to go all the way and somehow the coaching/goaltending and untimely errors in judgement messed up a perfect opportunity for the team's best chance in 3+ decades at a Stanley Cup.

Can they repeat that setup for another excellent shot at a cup next spring? I dunno... it just seems everything was aligned pretty much perfectly and getting back to that level might be too much to ask for 2 years in a row... but I guess that's why they play the games and we get to watch it all over again... and again... and again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad