Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The guy missed the entire season due to a major knee injury and it’s not a show me deal?
Went for 3.6 to 4 aav after missing an entire year to injury. For his play this season, no matter how good or bad he plays, as long as he gets 10 games in, he will be getting paid 4 million dollars for his services. The highest of his career.

Explain how that is a show me deal. It's a one year deal because the cap is going up significantly next year.

Reactions: Canovin

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good, this franchise needs more aggression. Make everyone who doubts us pay.
So we should injure him because Kenny painted himself in a corner and couldn't pay him market value? Nah. Also I think that he wins or at least draws a fight against Desharnais. And if Kane gets hurt then we may sewer our season.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I liked Kostin a lot as well. I especially liked that he was no shrinking violet in the playoffs and actually played just as well in the playoffs as he did in the regular season and scored some huge goals.

Not every player steps up and plays well in the playoffs and Kostin did well. He was +2 also... and only a handful of Oilers ended up on the plus side of the ledger in the playoffs.

It's unfortunate they couldn't keep him as he would have been a solid bottom 6 option.

Bjugstad is another I really liked and he's gone as well.

Kind of a shocking stat here... but Bjugstad and Kostin scored as many EV goals in the playoffs as McDavid, RNH, Hyman and Kane combined. Pretty solid for the TOI they had and the linemates they played with.

Obviously it's a loss when players who play solidly in the playoffs aren't able to stick with the club because of cap limitations.

Hopefully Brown can pick up some of that slack and some of the youth like McLeod/Holloway are going to have to contribute more as well.

Maybe I'm a little pessimistic but I think the team took a step back so far with Bjugstad/Kostin out and just Brown in (who's recovering from injury).

I'm hoping for the best and maybe Broberg and Desharnais with a little more experience under their belts can help with overall team D as well.

Campbell bouncing back would be massive and the obvious key to seeing this team get back to being able to beat a team like Vegas.

I hate that it felt like this last playoff run was a perfect doorway for the Oilers to go all the way and somehow the coaching/goaltending and untimely errors in judgement messed up a perfect opportunity for the team's best chance in 3+ decades at a Stanley Cup.

Can they repeat that setup for another excellent shot at a cup next spring? I dunno... it just seems everything was aligned pretty much perfectly and getting back to that level might be too much to ask for 2 years in a row... but I guess that's why they play the games and we get to watch it all over again... and again... and again.
IMO our top 6 got better but our bottom 6 took a hit.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It could be for the best. First off, we can always get players at the deadline, which might be better if we are adding cheap players on retention who are red hot, vs full priced players who might slump if we had kept them.

Also, we have some key prospects who will get more time because of these holes on the roster. The obvious one is Holloway of course, who could easily be better than Bjugstad. I do like the idea of Lavoie as Kostin replacement as well.

Reactions: McDoused

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It could be for the best. First off, we can always get players at the deadline, which might be better if we are adding cheap players on retention who are red hot, vs full priced players who might slump if we had kept them.

Also, we have some key prospects who will get more time because of these holes on the roster. The obvious one is Holloway of course, who could easily be better than Bjugstad. I do like the idea of Lavoie as Kostin replacement as well.
I doubt that Holloway will be as good defensively as Bjugstad, but he could equal or surpass him offensively. For all we know he could be our Skinner this year and displace the much pricier veteran in Brown. I'd love to see Lavoie catch on and pot 20ish goals.

Reactions: Duke74

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It was an outlier season and I had no doubt it was. Said so several times. if Holland got fooled by that its of course on him. A 20 goal season being glued to generational superstars, the best players in the world, is not anything great. its the starting line. Even Mangiopane scored much more than that while playing with far lesser playres.

Yama pk's. He isn't even particularly good at it. He plays the minutes. He's often not the best option.

You look at one hit but Yams had multiple concussions in his career prior to that. He was always going to be an injury risk playing at his size, and with his style.

sigh
They should just make you GM. You are so much smarter than NHL scouts and GMs.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I keep seeing this and I wanted to mention two things that I think that goes overlooked with the top 6 vs bottom 6 argument.

One, our 3rd line in the playoffs was the Foegele-McLeod-Ryan line. It's still here and was one of the best lines we had. So instead of arguing that our bottom 6 is worse it's actually about our 4th line getting worse.

Two, is how much Connor Brown will help our team defensively. Our PK will be a lot better with Brown here. He averaged 2:38 SH TOI in his last season with Ottawa. That would instantly be our top PK forward. Yamamoto played about half that while Kostin didnt play the PK. If you have Ryan, Janmark and Brown all on the PK that opens up Hyman and Nuge to play more offensive roles which should help our 5v5 production. That doesnt even mention how he could help in the locker room or rub off on guys when you see him willing to sacrifice his body and skate through walls to help this team.

Now obviously I still think our 4th line needs work. Their is an obvious hole at center. I still think we need a 4C who can win draws and PK but I dont see why we cant bring that in again at the deadline like we did Bjugstad last year.

For all we know Holland already has s 4C signed but cant close the deal until the RFAs are signed.

I cant wait to see if Lavoie and Holloway can replace some of what Kostin and Bjugstad brought. If not it shouldnt be hard to get 4th liners at the deadline or even mid-season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I keep seeing this and I wanted to mention two things that I think that goes overlooked with the top 6 vs bottom 6 argument.

One, our 3rd line in the playoffs was the Foegele-McLeod-Ryan line. It's still here and was one of the best lines we had. So instead of arguing that our bottom 6 is worse it's actually about our 4th line getting worse.

Two, is how much Connor Brown will help our team defensively. Our PK will be a lot better with Brown here. He averaged 2:38 SH TOI in his last season with Ottawa. That would instantly be our top PK forward. Yamamoto played about half that while Kostin didnt play the PK. If you have Ryan, Janmark and Brown all on the PK that opens up Hyman and Nuge to play more offensive roles which should help our 5v5 production. That doesnt even mention how he could help in the locker room or rub off on guys when you see him willing to sacrifice his body and skate through walls to help this team.

Now obviously I still think our 4th line needs work. Their is an obvious hole at center. I still think we need a 4C who can win draws and PK but I dont see why we cant bring that in again at the deadline like we did Bjugstad last year.

For all we know Holland already has s 4C signed but cant close the deal until the RFAs are signed.

I cant wait to see if Lavoie and Holloway can replace some of what Kostin and Bjugstad brought. If not it shouldnt be hard to get 4th liners at the deadline or even mid-season.
I don't see Foegele-McLeod-Ryan as a 3rd line for the entire season. All 3 players are a small slump from being relegated to the 4th line.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Meh lots of people could see the limitations of the player, the constant flubbing of opportunities and the growing injury risk and concussion history. Wasn't hard to spot that this would be a declining asset.
Could be, not would be. He also produced in line with what his contract ended up being. It's so much easier to GM when you can do it from a year in the future.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
So we should injure him because Kenny painted himself in a corner and couldn't pay him market value? Nah. Also I think that he wins or at least draws a fight against Desharnais. And if Kane gets hurt then we may sewer our season.
I find myself once again not entirely disagreeing with you.

But it makes me wonder if the season is shot by losing one top six player to injury, how close could they even really be?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

But it makes me wonder if the season is shot by losing one top six player to injury, how close could they even really be?
When you lose a player with balls like Kostin, and again picture that he was 23 yrs old fighting league toughs and wanting and winning those fights. The guy was ballsout all over the ice. You get that kind of energy player seldom. When he lands in your lap you better keep him. Kostin is that rare quantity of player that can score, run people through the boards, fight and be scary to play against. Kostin disrupts a lot more opponent players than given credit for. When you play against a player with pace and malevolence like that you have to keep your head up and you sometimes lose pucks that way or even give them up which I've seen.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Except anybody knows several people were questioning value at the time.
Several people think our best defenseman is our worst defenseman too, so I don't take what "several people" think into consideration often. The reality is that players are paid for production. Yamamoto produced at a rate consistent with the contract he received. In hindsight, should we have tried to trade him a year ago? Yep. Should Holland have squeezed him into a 1 year deal instead of a 2? Yep. Did we know that at the time? Nope. Was there any way to know (not guess, but know) that he was going to hit the wall with injuries this year? No. And most importantly, if we didn't have to pay someone to get rid of Yamamoto, would we still have Klim Kostin? Based on the contract he signed, that's also a "no" as we couldn't afford to keep him at that rate.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Kostin was better than any of those players and you saw him as no loss. You can't wait to see Lavoie instead of Kostin. JFC..

Nobody knows what Connor Brown will look like here.

In a contend now window I would look at players that performed admirably in this lineup over what a longterm injured player could look like.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

They scored a combined two goals in twelve games mate. Is this how far gone some of you are? That a third line scoring two goals in an entire playoff run is good? One of the best we had I guess means very little, considering we only have two lines and one has McDavid on it, the other has Draisaitl. What a strange thing to say. One of our best lines. Means essentially nothing. They were horrible even if you did see them provide cycling in the offensive zone a handful of times throughout the series -- they did nothing of note.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If we sacrifice depth for an all in top 6 it is possible. Adding Brown was hood. Losing Kostin and Bjugstad IMO offsets that upgrade.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Several people think our best defenseman is our worst defenseman too, so I don't take what "several people" think into consideration often. The reality is that players are paid for production. Yamamoto produced at a rate consistent with the contract he received. In hindsight, should we have tried to trade him a year ago? Yep. Should Holland have squeezed him into a 1 year deal instead of a 2? Yep. Did we know that at the time? Nope. Was there any way to know (not guess, but know) that he was going to hit the wall with injuries this year? No. And most importantly, if we didn't have to pay someone to get rid of Yamamoto, would we still have Klim Kostin? Based on the contract he signed, that's also a "no".
An astute GM doesn't rote pay players on selective numbers. Thats what arbitration does. Informed management is supposed to spot more than that.

Nor should anybody equate the production from playing exclusively with two generational superstars to what most players have to play with. A lack of understanding of the superstar effect and its elevation of others pts needs some understanding when looking at production and who's moving that.

Sather laughed at Blair MacDonalds agent saying a fire hydrant could score 40 goals playing with Gretzky. He was right.

They scored a combined two goals in twelve games mate. Is this how far gone some of you are? That a third line scoring two goals in an entire playoff run is good? One of the best we had I guess means very little, considering we only have two lines and one has McDavid on it, the other has Draisaitl. What a strange thing to say. One of our best lines. Means essentially nothing. They were horrible even if you did see them provide cycling in the offensive zone a handful of times throughout the series -- they did nothing of note.
Even as a fan of Ryan and McLeod its laughable to suggest they were among our better player or solid 3rd line. Its depth like that which tempts a coach to play topsix much more minutes.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
If we sacrifice depth for an all in top 6 it is possible. Adding Brown was hood. Losing Kostin and Bjugstad IMO offsets that upgrade.

The good news is there is a ton of time before the trade deadline to add to our bottom six. It shouldn't be hard to add another Bjugstad level player later on in the season when teams are selling off assets and willing to retain salary. It's always harder to fill holes in the top six.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Its odd that this point needs to be made as its clear as day. oh but we added the Drake, lol.

The good news is there is a ton of time before the trade deadline to add to our bottom six. It shouldn't be hard to add another Bjugstad level player later on in the season when teams are selling off assets and willing to retain salary. It's always harder to fill holes in the top six.
Every championship team you care to look at hasn't had this kind of view. They've had deep lineups and good players in those spots. They don't have two lines of bondo filler. I mean I could see fans of this team thinking this is the formula because its what goes on here. To get next level it seems you need good players in all spots and not just looking off the bottomsix and thinking its easy to improve.

I've seen this we gotta a solid topsix or core here thinking several years now. Seems like that alone doesn't get you there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Several people think our best defenseman is our worst defenseman too, so I don't take what "several people" think into consideration often. The reality is that players are paid for production. Yamamoto produced at a rate consistent with the contract he received. In hindsight, should we have tried to trade him a year ago? Yep. Should Holland have squeezed him into a 1 year deal instead of a 2? Yep. Did we know that at the time? Nope. Was there any way to know (not guess, but know) that he was going to hit the wall with injuries this year? No. And most importantly, if we didn't have to pay someone to get rid of Yamamoto, would we still have Klim Kostin? Based on the contract he signed, that's also a "no" as we couldn't afford to keep him at that rate.
I've said this before but I firmly believe the extra year was necessary to get Yamamoto to sign for $3.1M because in arbitration he could have gotten closer to $4M coming off a 20 goal season. People don't believe this but arbitration is pretty much entirely about comparative numbers. The arbitrator does not watch hokey nor does he/she care that those points were with McDavid. Had he received say $3.9M the Oilers would have been stuck. It would have pretty much meant moving out Foegele just to be able to field a 20-1 man roster since they were so tight to the cap.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Familiarity seems like the death of expectations. lol. What kind of circus have Oilers fans had to partake in to think that Foegele, Ryan, McLeod is a solid NHL line.

Seems maybe that a team that drags in minimum pays and walk on players every year and has that game plan SHORED up is somehow making fans believe that anything better than dreck is good. Meanwhile watch the teams that went deeper in playoffs and look at what their depth was looking like at every spot.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
An astute GM doesn't rote pay players on selective numbers. Thats what arbitration does. Informed management is supposed to spot more than that.

Nor should anybody equate the production from playing exclusively with two generational superstars to what most players have to play with. A lack of understanding of the superstar effect and its elevation of others pts needs some understanding when looking at production and who's moving that.

Sather laughed at Blair MacDonalds agent saying a fire hydrant could score 40 goals playing with Gretzky. He was right.
You hit the nail on the head with the bolded. The problem was Yamamoto filed for arbitration knowing full well that his chances of getting more than the $3.1M he signed for were excellent. As I said in a previous post arbitration is mostly about objective numbers. That is why team fear it. Players can file when they have seasons like Yamamoto did and the fact that his points came playing with McDrai doesn't really matter. He is a 20 goal scorer coming of his second contract and such players get paid. So the $3.1M was already a squeeze. Once he qualified Yamamoto Holland's cards were all on the table. The only card he might have held is to tell the player that if he signs at $XX he is effectively pricing himself off the team in the future. This is also the only card he can play vs McLeod.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I've said this before but I firmly believe the extra year was necessary to get Yamamoto to sign for $3.1M because in arbitration he could have gotten closer to $4M coming off a 20 goal season. People don't believe this but arbitration is pretty much entirely about comparative numbers. The arbitrator does not watch hokey nor does he/she care that those points were with McDavid. Had he received say $3.9M the Oilers would have been stuck. It would have pretty much meant moving out Foegele just to be able to field a 20-1 man roster since they were so tight to the cap.
So you just decline and let the player walk rather than pay 2yrs for a player on what was an untradeable contract that in the end we got nothing for, and that we even lost a valid player due to, because Kostin had to be added to the contract for Detroit to even take on the contract.

You just walk because the player wasn't much. Yamamoto wasn't much.

How the club decided to even waste a first on this player is beyond me.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Here are the stats for that line in the playoffs.

Minutes together: 63:12
CF% 74.76% 77-26
SF% 75% 45-15
GF% 50% 3-3
XGF% 77.23
SCF% 73.08 38-14
HDCF% 81.48% 3-1

This does not look all that horrible to me.

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad