Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I feel like this is the situation.
Bergeron line > Matthews line
Krejci line < Kadri line
Nash/Accari line = Bozak line ?
Accari/Kuraly line = Plekanec line?

I think it's pretty even but I still think the Bozak line has the potential to feast on their lower lineup. It's funny cause in 2012-13, JVR and Bozak were a part of our top line against the Bruins.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You disagree and your point makes sense, but I still believe it was a franchise risk. If Leafs get knocked out in the first round within 4 or 5 games, the fact is, both players possibly go away for nothing. We kept those two to make a deep playoff run, it is the same reason why Marleau is here as well, that veteran leadership, star power and experience. The team wants to go deep this year.

There was the possibility Leafs not making the playoffs without those two, that is a risk too, and I am sure that is the reason Leafs didn't trade JVR and Bozak. But I also look at it this way: Leafs are only two years out from picking first overall as the 30th place team, we are in a division where Ott, Mont and Buff, who are at the bottom of the league. 3 teams had to succeed in that division, Leafs were one of them, and luckily Florida didn't play well. We didn't get lucky, but it was easier to be in this division compared to others.

Not a knock against the Leafs, because we do have a pretty awesome team...but like I said, I am of the opinion the Leafs still had ways to go before going for the Cup, our defense is not close to where it should be to be Cup contenders, as an example. I want to be wrong tho.

but how is it a franchise risk? like i've said, who exactly was the "JVR" that was traded that we could go. "ya know... that makes sense." who would have traded for him that would have given the team something to be better? because the way i see it if those two were traded just for picks (and replaced by people to make immediate impacts) that's just as bad. in my opinion, worse.

but i think i've just made this argument all year. we aren't letting them go away for nothing. they aren't sitting in the pressbox picking their nose and eating popcorn. They're playing. we're getting their services. that's not nothing. And the Leafs have for the last few years have made it very obvious they willnot leave rocks unturned getting other assets to play for the organization. It doesn't matter what division the leafs were in, I don't think at any moment this season the Leafs position if you were to transport them into any other division was any worse than 3rd. The Leafs are a good team. End of story. Not because the the Atlantic is weak. but because we are good. The team got better in almost every facet this season (a little sluggish on the PK at the end but w/the rotations it makes sense). I just don't understand why people want the team to make moves that will make them worse. (and that the team would be happy with it).

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I feel like this is the situation.
Bergeron line > Matthews line
Krejci line < Kadri line
Nash/Accari line = Bozak line ?
Accari/Kuraly line = Plekanec line?

I think it's pretty even but I still think the Bozak line has the potential to feast on their lower lineup. It's funny cause in 2012-13, JVR and Bozak were a part of our top line against the Bruins.

First two lines you nailed, but we have a pretty significant edge on both our bottom two lines.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Getting closer to game 1. Should be crazy. Can’t wait to see the group step up and show their stuff. This group can win.

Nothing like watching Leaf playoff hockey with friends and family.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
First two lines you nailed, but we have a pretty significant edge on both our bottom two lines.
Maybe, I don't know the Bruins 4th line guys that well. I remember Accari being a good, physical energy guy. Their 3rd line looks better with Riley in the middle but that'll happen in game 2 probably.
I'm still surprised they're not using Donato in the opening game.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Maybe, I don't know the Bruins 4th line guys that well. I remember Accari being a good, physical energy guy. Their 3rd line looks better with Riley in the middle but that'll happen in game 2 probably.
I'm still surprised they're not using Donato in the opening game.
Kapanen is a 3rd line talent and Plekanec has played 2C forever until getting here, even without Johnsson I give us the edge on the 4th line. And JVR is being seriously underrated to not say our 3rd line > their 3rd line. I get he's a PP beast, but he also put up similar ES G/60 to Matthews. Yes, our franchise C Matthews. JVR is a 1st liner playing with 2 players that you have no complaints about being on a 3rd line.

Plus, the whole Nash is currently on the IR and his injury sounds like something that will affect him throughout the series, while Backes has some lingering leg injury that's making him slower than he already was. And if Rick Nash is on it instead of Backes, we already know he's a no-show in playoffs, while JVR has shown he has the potential to be dominant in postseason games (back to the PHI days)

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Lets just hope they have a little bit of talent to not get rolled over by Bruins. Our defense doesn't look good compared to Bruins.

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
It would be fantastic to win this series, against the team that some are predicting to win the cup. Matthews looked very good last year in his playoff debut - maybe this year he can be even better.

Go :leafs

Reactions: The Cobra

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
50 years and the leafs got it right. There impatience and fa signings are gone due to cap restrictions. Win or lose and yes they will due to age tier experience. The Leafs are and will be relevant for at least 10 years. The Tie ring or vets age gaps will cost the Leafs. 3 years from now the Jets and leafs will be the best teams in the league.

Reactions: The Cobra

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Playing devil's advocate here..

Polak is the 3rd highest minute dman on the PK with 2:30 per game, Komarov is the 2nd highest minute forward on the PK by 5 seconds with 2:34 per game. Komarov and Polak are the Leafs hit leaders, along with Matt Martin. Komarov was 14th overall in the league in hits this season. Komarov is 3rd in the forward group for blocked shots and Polak is 3rd for D in blocks per game. Fun fact Matthews leads all Leafs forwards in blocked shots despite missing 20 games. They are two of the few on the team willing to drop the gloves. These two are heavy veterans of the league and have been here since Babcock has come in. In a sense these are his footsoldiers and he's leaned on them a lot for better or worse in recent seasons.

I do think the Swedish rookie of the years Borgman and Johnsson could make the Leafs better than their veteran opponents. I assume they'll supplant them next season, maybe even before this one is through. It's also true that Kapanen and Dermott could potentially eat more of their PK minutes and the Leafs could see a benefit from it. But, the Swedes don't bring the big game experience or the PK experience that could come in handy for this season. In particular with Johnsson compared to Leo, Leo has the ability to play a much more abrasive game, which is something the Leafs forward group as a whole lack and truthfully the D group isn't any more abrasive. Boston is a physical team and having some push back may prove helpful.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it !!
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!! ohh YEAAAHHHHH

Speed should win it for us. Depth will be the X factor.

And if we seem to be lacking that pop on the 4th line, and kappy keeps finding Rask all by himself... Babs...please. for the love of GOD
Lace up Johnsson for Kappy to get some legit chance at points.

That being said, I hope Leo does prove us all wrong and become a monster come Playoffs.

GO LEAFS GO!!!!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yes, hopefully Babcock "comes to his senses" before we end up winning a Stanley Cup or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad